To Bring Or Not To Bring, That Is The Question

Options
Hello All,

Just curious to get your advice. As some of you may know, I'm currently on the Kaiser Weight Management Program, and the food I can currently eat in stage one of this program is only the prescription shakes and bars that they give you to eat. There are multiple birthday potlucks during this time, one of which is mine.

I requested no potluck being as how I wouldn't be able to eat anything anyone brings in. Boss said it's fine, no worries, he can't wait to see my results from the program.

There is another coworker's potluck coming up and my other coworker (not the same person) gave me a really hard time, saying I should bring in food no matter what, that even though I can't eat what I bring in myself, it's for the company, not for me.

What should I do?
a. Don't bring anything, everyone else will understand what I'm doing here.
b. Bring in something and suffer, plus spend money on something I won't be able to enjoy.
c. Buy additional diet food to bring in to share what I'm doing. (This option is even more expensive than just bringing in something else.)

Thanks.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    bring something small and- don't eat.

not an issue. OR... bring cups/plates/utensils/knives/drinks/ice.

everyone needs that stuff- and people forget it all the time
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I would just bring something easy, soda or something like that.. you still participated and wont be exiled by the team... (i get how offices are) and then go from there.. Granted i am just counting calories and making better choices but i did that before too.. everyone brought crap and I brought a veggie tray. Good luck!
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    bring something you dont like :) when its my mums birthday at the office she brings in fruit instead of cakes lol
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Bring a fruit or veg tray. That way, you don't have to make it and it won't bother you so much to not have it.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options

OR... bring cups/plates/utensils/knives/drinks/ice.

I would second this, easy, and then you dont end up with leftovers or anything, and it looks like your are good kid who plays well with others :)
  • arf24_1
    arf24_1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bring bottled water!
  • katey1240
    katey1240 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Definitely bring something!!! It's not really about the food, and who can/cannot enjoy it! Its about the work community and enjoying time together as a group and camaraderie. Bring your diet food and sit down with everyone at the pot luck and just enjoy getting caught up with each others lives, etc. Let's face it....if we only did pot lucks to feed ourselves....well, we could do that on our own without the help of others. Its about "group time".
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    2) Bring something anyway and think of it as a birthday gift to that person. That's what the potluck is for, after all.