Food question for a big guy

Options
Food question: So I'm a big dude. 6'9" and 317 lbs as of today — down 25 pounds in a little under three months. My BMR is in the 2,600 calorie range. My TDEE is north of 3,700. Fitpal says to rock a 2,450 calorie diet to lose 1.5 pounds a week. I've been doing 2,200 and manage about 1.5 a week now. That said, I feel fine and have good numbers. It's a nuanced question: Should I be increasing my intake to the "recommended" level? Eat to lose weight, as it were? I feel satisfied on 2,200 ... but maybe my metabolism would like more? Thoughts?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm confused.. You said you lost 25 pounds in 3 months which would be an average weekly loss of about 2 pounds per week. Seems like you're doing just fine by those numbers.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    If you are hitting your macros (carbs, fat, protein) and losing at a healthy rate of 1.5 lbs. per week then you are doing great. At least you have some extra calories to use on another day of the week if you want to eat a little more.
  • derrick998
    derrick998 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    LIke I said, I'm doing well. At some point though, I'm going to begin slowing down, and want to make sure my body is getting the fuel it needs. That's all.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    ...then focus on meeting your macros and eating back a portion of your exercise calories. The macros will meet you body's nutrient requirements and the extra calories will give you enough fuel to support your workouts.