How often do you weigh?

Options
So I started my weight loss adventure on Friday. I weighed myself and entered all the info into MFP. I haven't weighed myself again as I'm waiting till Friday to do so. I was wondering if most people weigh once a week, or more/less frequently? I wonder what the psychological boost would be to weigh more/less often?

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    When I was cutting I weighed every day, but only logged it on Friday, now that I'm bulking I only weigh on Friday.

Rigger
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Once a week!
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    i weigh multiple times a day out of curiosity/for shetzngiggles, but i only consider first thing in the morning after using the washroom for tracking progress
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I do a "big" weigh in once a month - and by this I mean I do weight, body fat and all measurements.

From my experience, and this is just me so I can't say what works for you or anyone else, I found weighing myself weekly wasn't giving me what I wanted. By this I mean weight fluctuates and depending on the week I had I could gain or drop 8+ lbs. I spoke with a nutritionist, and she said this is normal and can happen.

A really good friend of mine, who is also a figure competitor said before she got into that industry she did monthly because any changes over the course of a month will probably show more assured and "real" progress than weekly - give or take a bit because, as mentioned above, the day or week before may have been off for you.

Hopes this helps!
  • ProHealthGirl
    Options
    I never weigh myself, just rely on what I feel like. I think sometimes people will give up if they see that the scale isn't budging. But if you're losing weight every week, that could also be an inspiration to keep doing what you're doing.
  • adopp062715
    adopp062715 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day at roughly the same time in the morning. I only record it in here roughly once a week. I have an app on my phone where I record every day. I personally like to know how my weight changes day to day.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I record my weight once a week on Thursdays. I might weigh myself an additional 1-2 times in between out of curiosity but I know whatever change I see is just daily fluctuations. I may not lose any weight Tuesday-Tuesday (which causes a panic) but I will lose Thursday-Thursday and since I started my journey on a Thursday, that's the day I record. My weight is usually "balanced out" by Thursday.
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Everyday. On my WiFi fitbit scales. First thing in the morning, before eating or drinking anything. And always naked.

Its no necessary to do it every day tho. In fact it can be pretty discouraging. But its just become a habit for me to jump on before I get in the shower.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Wednesday morning. Weekends usually kill my diet so I use Mon and Tuesday as a fairly strict diet days. I am considering switching to Fridays to try to capture more "better days" ie non weekend days.

Last years diet, I weighted every day but quickly became discouraged with minimal losses or days with gains.
  • jamesryanfletcher
    jamesryanfletcher Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm at the other end of the range. I weigh daily and use a calculated trend to judge progress. It helps reduce the impact of day to day fluctuations on what is actually happening.

I tend to log publicly only once a week.
  • ericzanetti
    ericzanetti Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Cutting

Weigh in Saturday morning.

This keeps me honest Friday night. (off the booze)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning but only record it on Sundays. I like to see how my weight fluctuates through the week and according to what I eat. Once in a while I weigh myself at night just to see how it compares to the morning number.
  • caitology
    caitology Posts: 50
    Options
    Every day :)
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    The search function is your friend...
  • FionaAnne22
    FionaAnne22 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning around the same time, but only log it once, maybe twice a week. I used to do weekly but I actually find I prefer keeping an eye on it daily, just helps me make sure I'm going the right way-ish.
  • Rancerox
    Rancerox Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I weigh throughout the day, but only log from the first measurement each morning. I'm always curious to see how much I "lost" during the night.

I don't worry about fluctuations as long as the little orange line in my Reports is on a fairly even SE course.
  • Ginger046
    Ginger046 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have a bad habit of weighing myself multiple times a day. Though I only enter into MFP my weight first thing after going to the toilet.
  • Censor76
    Censor76 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've found that once or twice a week in helpful.

Saying that...I'm nuts and check almost every day but I can tell you that is NOT motivational and completely stupid and maybe (definitely) an OCD thing.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Every day. The trend is strongly down, but that are some freakish outliers to the high side.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday but I only log it on Friday's or even just when the number is lower lol