Eyeballing spaghetti serving sizes.

Options
2»

Replies

• endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I did it yay!! after resizing anyway lol. There you go. That is 2oz dry and almost 5oz cooked. It's a nice portion, I like to add protein to it.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    1/3 cup in a measuring cup. not much.
  • endermako
    Options
    1/3 cup in a measuring cup. not much.

You measure before you cook not after. You're missing out if you measure after its cooked... and it's better to weight the dry on a food scale.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    If the package says 2 oz is the serving size and there are 7 servings in the package, just take 1/7th of the package and cook that. That's what I do when I'm being too lazy to weigh it. But I'm usually pretty accurate compared to the scale at doing it now.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Okay, don't know if this will help but 85g of dry spaghetti - all the ends, held together are the size of a penny. I know you guys have a coin about the same size but i can't remember what it's called (a wee bronze one)
  • BradWI
    BradWI Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    WOW. Scrolling down to the "1, 2, or 3 cups of pasta" section on that photocalorie website I see that growing up my "normal" spaghetti dinner was 2-3 CUPS of spaghetti + sauce with meat + cheesy garlic bread. And sometimes 1.5 helpings - holy crap that was always 1500+ calories.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    From what I know a portion should be about the size of your fist. yup...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    WOW. Scrolling down to the "1, 2, or 3 cups of pasta" section on that photocalorie website I see that growing up my "normal" spaghetti dinner was 2-3 CUPS of spaghetti + sauce with meat + cheesy garlic bread. And sometimes 1.5 helpings - holy crap that was always 1500+ calories.

and that's why i do not eat pasta any more.

I am wildly unsatisfied with it. It tastes good- but I always want more- and I'm never full.
  • peejaygee1
    peejaygee1 Posts: 3,588 Member
    Options
    If the package says 2 oz is the serving size and there are 7 servings in the package, just take 1/7th of the package and cook that. That's what I do when I'm being too lazy to weigh it. But I'm usually pretty accurate compared to the scale at doing it now.

That's what I do - the package says it's 10 servings for the whole pack, I'm serving a family of 5 and want it to last for 2 meals (mostly because of calories), I cook half the pack and divide it evenly amongst the plates.
  • goshnames
    goshnames Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the picture, Firecat! :)

Well, I made the approximate serving size, ate the approximate serving size, and then decided that pasta is evil. It is so delicious and never filling.
  • endermako
    Options
    Thanks for the picture, Firecat! :)

Well, I made the approximate serving size, ate the approximate serving size, and then decided that pasta is evil. It is so delicious and never filling.

I agree. I can't just eat pasta by itself. I have to have some sort of protein with it or it's useless.
  • vickiem74
    vickiem74 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Trust me when I say ...WEIGH it. Don't try to eyeball it! I had no idea what one serving looked like and almost cried when I realized how little it really was. We now rarely eat it cause I hate to waste so many calories on such a little amount of food!
  • redmagpie91
    redmagpie91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This is what I needed to know! I haven't been weighing very long, before I was just using a measuring cup, and 2oz of cooked pasta is hardly anything! The package didn't say whether to weigh it dry or cooked and I didn't want to do the wrong thing!