Running and GI Problems

In March, I decided to begin training for a half marathon, which is set for October. The first couple of months were fine, because I was just trying to get back into it and up to a 5k distance again. (I've ran many 5k's in the past, but rarely more than that). Then I started bumping my Saturday jog up by a mile every other weekend. However, I have yet to get past 5 miles, because every time I run 5 miles, I get very very sick. Horrible nausea and diarrhea for 2-3 days after the "long" run. Then it started getting so bad that I would have nausea and even vomiting, even if I did not run. One weekend (no long run) was so bad, I had to go to urgent care... basically as much vomiting and diarrhea as a stomach virus. Now I've been to a gastroenterologist, and he basically said that everything was normal, after doing endoscopy, bloodwork, etc. etc. Now I'm back on my own, trying to figure this out. I took a two week vacation from running, and all the symptoms seem to be getting better. I'm going to start running again this week, but I expect them to return. :/

I've tried eating different foods, not eating before runs, eating before runs,, etc. Nothing seems to help. I run very slow, so I do not think that I'm pushing myself too hard. I'm honestly starting to feel like maybe I'm just not cut out to run. Three years ago, I tried to run a half marathon and I got stuck at 5 miles again. My stomach was not an issue then, but I got a horrible rash on my knuckles that also got worse after the jogs.

Anyone have any advice? Should I still shoot for my October half marathon? I'm thinking about doing an elimination diet, where I try to figure out what foods (if any) are causing this. Anyone else done that?

Replies

• librarygirlontherun
    librarygirlontherun Posts: 32 Member
    Take some time and figure out what you need bathroom wise as a runner. For me, I need to be up 90 minutes in the morning prior to running or I get some of the symptoms you have described. I have NEVER been one of those people to just pop out of bed and run. I need to be completely empty. If not, I will have blood in my stool and stomach cramps all day.

Learning my 90 minute thing has helped me run 9 1/2 marathons and one full one. I am currently training for my second 26.2.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Have you tried playing with your foods? Not just the time but the combos? Also, what conditions are you running in? Extreme heat? If so- are you covering your head? Are you fueling properly in the days before? Hydrating enough? Have you tried bringing gels/chomps with you?
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    <-- Speaking as someone that spent their first half marathon running from porta-potty to porta-potty with massive GI issues, I will share what I learned after that:

-Avoid fried, greasy, or just generally processed foods for a day or 2 before a long run.
    -Avoid large amounts of dairy for a day or 2 before a long run. (i.e., a little butter or milk or a small amount of cheese is OK, but don't go HAM on a big bowl of ice cream or have a big milkshake).
    -Hydrate!
    -Find something plain that you can stomach before going on a long run. A dry piece of toast, half a bagel with a little peanut butter. If you want to drink coffee that morning, try to avoid adding milk or cream at all costs. This is what always did me in. The dairy ::shudders::

Try that, then go on a long run, and see how you feel. If you feel OK during and afterwards, you reintroducing some of those things, and abstain from them just the day before or the night before your scheduled long run. For my first half marathon, I ate "good" for the day before the race, but it wasn't enough... so for the 4-5 days before my full marathon a year after my first half, I avoided take-out, cooked everything myself, ate a ton of veggies, cut back on dairy, and was a happy camper on race day.

Also wondering if you're fueling during a longer run? If you aren't, I would start. If you are, I would think about what you're taking in during the longer run. I know people that can only stomach flat soda during a run (seems weird to me, but it works for some people). I know other people that swear by pretzels. I liked Clif shot bloks, but only 1 or 2 flavors really agreed with me.

Running, in my opinion, is a lot of trial and error to get it right.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Are you on any medications that have nausea/diarrhea as a known side effect? Sometimes running can extremely exacerbate such side effects.
  • janda060708
    janda060708 Posts: 23 Member
    Something similar happened to me. I ran/walked my first 10K and it felt like my GI track was trying to empty out. I had blood in my stool for 2 days with a crampy tummy for a week. I agree with the other posters - trying eliminating the dairy and fatty foods a couple days before your long run. I found out that the refueling gummies were not a good idea on an empty stomach.