Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

MFP cal goal? BMR or TDEE???

MFP cal goal? BMR or TDEE??? what are your thoughts and findings folks? :)

Replies

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Well, BMR is your basal metabolic rate which is how many calories your body needs if you're just sitting on the couch all day, binge-watching Breaking Bad (maybe a few more, ya know, moving to go to the next episode, etc)

As for MFP v TDEE, whatever works for you works for you. Neither is implicitly better than the other, although I have noticed that I MFP works best for me because my activity level is not consistent; some weeks I run and lift, other weeks I'm sitting on the couch binge-watching Breaking Bad.

Either way you decide to go, just remember to log everything ACCURATELY--measure, weigh, log, eat, repeat.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    My 2c

When I first started, MFP's goal for me was 1200 calories per day and that was 300 calories below my BMR....so I went with TDEE - 20%. I just chose my level of activity as sedentary because I was logging all my workouts, and at the time I had a desk job so as long as I logged my workouts MFP added in the calories for me to eat and I still netted 20% below my TDEE. Use a lower percentage if 20% lower than your TDEE is close to or below your BMR.
  • I'm just scared that since my BMR/TDEE higher than MFP I could end up not losing weight using MFP's cal goals as I would not be eating enough... and I always do at least my 3 weekly workouts, which is worked into the figures I use in my TDEE calculation for what my weekly activity is.
    Thanks for your input guys :) think I will go with TDEE/BMR with activity/weight loss % worked in and update my settings on here to custom :):flowerforyou:
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    TDEE less 10/20% (whatever is appropriate for you) is higher than MFP because MFP assumes you will eat extra for exercise.