Fantastic Frozen Dinners

Options
Go from Diet Disaster to Diet-Friendly!
-- By Becky Hand, Licensed & Registered Dietitian

Frozen TV dinners weren’t served often when I was growing up in the 60’s. However, on rare, extra-busy nights, I remember eating my meal out of that small, compartmentalized aluminum tray. They were always heated in the oven (since microwaves were not yet staples in every home). Watery mashed potatoes, tough corn, and greasy fried chicken—in no way was it the finest of cuisines, but the novelty made it enjoyable. Eating in front of the TV was always off limits at my house. “We eat as a family,” my mom would preach.

“But mom,” I whined, “Why do you think they call it a TV dinner?” When we were finished, my mom would wash those little aluminum trays to use when freezing her own leftover meals. Back then, our recycled trays held craft paints and rock collections, germinated seeds, and fed every stray dog and cat in the area. Out of necessity, we were all craftier, more resourceful and conservative back then.

Today, frozen dinners make up a $6 billion industry. As a dietitian you may expect me to tout all the horrors and tragedies of using frozen entrees. WRONG! I am here to share the possibilities as well as ways to make the healthiest choices even tastier. While eating in front of the TV is still a no-no in my house, the ole TV dinner has come a long way. It is now more kindly referred to as the frozen dinner. You can heat it in your own microwave in less than 5 minutes, and choose from selections that are varied and superb. No one had ever heard of “chicken parmesan” when I was a kid!

The Perks of Frozen Dinners

Quick & easy. Being a practical mom, I know that there are nights when heating a frozen dinner can be the key to getting everyone in the family fed quickly and efficiently, with very little clean-up. Your family can eat in 15 minutes or so and spend some time catching up on the events of the day.

Built-in portion control! In the age of biggie-this and over-stuffed that, the frozen dinner is a portion-controlled delight! Few people will actually heat another dinner, and there's no temptation of going back for seconds.

Vegetable servings. Green beans, corn, carrots and more, there is at least one (sometimes two!) veggie servings on that tray.

Perfect for the single scene. Very few people like to cook for themselves. Whether your 18 or 80, living in a college dwelling or senior citizen apartment, frozen dinners offer great variety for those eating meals alone.

Easy prep for all. For anyone who has difficulty in the kitchen due to joint pain, a physical constraint, balance problems, or post-op healing time, frozen dinners can be the trick for easy-yet-nutritious meals.

When the cook's away, dinner still stays. When your family's "head cook" needs to take care of business or is gone for a few days, frozen dinners come to the rescue.

Economical. Frozen dinners are less expensive than dining out.

Selection and Serving Strategies

So how do you make the best choice, faced with hundreds of frozen dinners and entrees that are readily available?

Frozen meals have gotten tastier over the years, but you still must buy and try before you find your favorites.

Beware of potpies with crust, Hungry Man dinners, and stuffed-crust or extra-cheese pizzas.

Select dinners that are balanced and contain a lean source of protein, such as Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, and Weight Watchers brands.

Choose dinners or entrees with no more than 300-400 calories.

Choose meals with no more than 30% of the calories coming from fat. This would be about 10-14 grams of total fat if the meal contains 300-400 calories.

Select meals with no more than 6 grams of saturated fat.

Aim for a sodium content no higher than 600 milligrams.

Add on a side salad with low calorie dressing, a serving of fruit, and a glass of low-fat milk to round out the meal. This will help you boost the fiber, calcium and nutrient contents of your meal.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=585

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Go from Diet Disaster to Diet-Friendly!
    -- By Becky Hand, Licensed & Registered Dietitian

Frozen TV dinners weren’t served often when I was growing up in the 60’s. However, on rare, extra-busy nights, I remember eating my meal out of that small, compartmentalized aluminum tray. They were always heated in the oven (since microwaves were not yet staples in every home). Watery mashed potatoes, tough corn, and greasy fried chicken—in no way was it the finest of cuisines, but the novelty made it enjoyable. Eating in front of the TV was always off limits at my house. “We eat as a family,” my mom would preach.

“But mom,” I whined, “Why do you think they call it a TV dinner?” When we were finished, my mom would wash those little aluminum trays to use when freezing her own leftover meals. Back then, our recycled trays held craft paints and rock collections, germinated seeds, and fed every stray dog and cat in the area. Out of necessity, we were all craftier, more resourceful and conservative back then.

Today, frozen dinners make up a $6 billion industry. As a dietitian you may expect me to tout all the horrors and tragedies of using frozen entrees. WRONG! I am here to share the possibilities as well as ways to make the healthiest choices even tastier. While eating in front of the TV is still a no-no in my house, the ole TV dinner has come a long way. It is now more kindly referred to as the frozen dinner. You can heat it in your own microwave in less than 5 minutes, and choose from selections that are varied and superb. No one had ever heard of “chicken parmesan” when I was a kid!

The Perks of Frozen Dinners

Quick & easy. Being a practical mom, I know that there are nights when heating a frozen dinner can be the key to getting everyone in the family fed quickly and efficiently, with very little clean-up. Your family can eat in 15 minutes or so and spend some time catching up on the events of the day.

Built-in portion control! In the age of biggie-this and over-stuffed that, the frozen dinner is a portion-controlled delight! Few people will actually heat another dinner, and there's no temptation of going back for seconds.

Vegetable servings. Green beans, corn, carrots and more, there is at least one (sometimes two!) veggie servings on that tray.

Perfect for the single scene. Very few people like to cook for themselves. Whether your 18 or 80, living in a college dwelling or senior citizen apartment, frozen dinners offer great variety for those eating meals alone.

Easy prep for all. For anyone who has difficulty in the kitchen due to joint pain, a physical constraint, balance problems, or post-op healing time, frozen dinners can be the trick for easy-yet-nutritious meals.

When the cook's away, dinner still stays. When your family's "head cook" needs to take care of business or is gone for a few days, frozen dinners come to the rescue.

Economical. Frozen dinners are less expensive than dining out.

Selection and Serving Strategies

So how do you make the best choice, faced with hundreds of frozen dinners and entrees that are readily available?

Frozen meals have gotten tastier over the years, but you still must buy and try before you find your favorites.

Beware of potpies with crust, Hungry Man dinners, and stuffed-crust or extra-cheese pizzas.

Select dinners that are balanced and contain a lean source of protein, such as Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, and Weight Watchers brands.

Choose dinners or entrees with no more than 300-400 calories.

Choose meals with no more than 30% of the calories coming from fat. This would be about 10-14 grams of total fat if the meal contains 300-400 calories.

Select meals with no more than 6 grams of saturated fat.

Aim for a sodium content no higher than 600 milligrams.

Add on a side salad with low calorie dressing, a serving of fruit, and a glass of low-fat milk to round out the meal. This will help you boost the fiber, calcium and nutrient contents of your meal.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=585
  • bnlmembercb
    Options
    I'm really glad you posted this. When I first moved out on my own after college, I found myself getting the Healthy Choice meals. They are very cheap, very easy, and most of all convenient to put in the freezer and heat up at work.

I'm even more thrilled you're a nutritionist - the reason I stopped getting them altogether was my concern over the sodium content. I have high blood pressure - always have - and I couldn't find one that had less than 800.

Can you suggest a certain brand that you think is the best to get that has all the things you talk about, including the less than or approximate 600mg sodium?

Thanks!
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Jo you are the bomb with all your xtra reading! haha I was wonderin about what the sodium should be. That's def helpful. This was such an awesome read!

I don't think there are to many dinners with that low of sodium though. Which sucks. If there are, then I'm missing them!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist. I am just passing along some info and wanted everyone to see who the info was coming from.

I agree Crys... not many frozen foods with little sodium that's why I've stopped dramatically.
    The best thing for you to do is make extra when you cook dinner and freeze it.
  • CrystalBella
    CrystalBella Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I agree Crys... not many frozen foods with little sodium that's why I've stopped dramatically.

Yeh, that's what I do, make extras. The canned veggies seem to be good. I noticed there are less cals in the cheaper brands; IE Shur Fine, then in the green giants and they taste the same. Today for lunch I had asparagus from Archer Farms (Target Brand) it was so yummy. 28 spears was like 80cals. I ate the whole bag! :laugh: That and my JennieO Turkey Burgers. I'm so full, but it was so yummy. It's so much easier to cook.
  • Healthier_Me
    Options

Yeh, that's what I do, make extras. The canned veggies seem to be good. I noticed there are less cals in the cheaper brands; IE Shur Fine, then in the green giants and they taste the same. Today for lunch I had asparagus from Archer Farms (Target Brand) it was so yummy. 28 spears was like 80cals. I ate the whole bag! :laugh: That and my JennieO Turkey Burgers. I'm so full, but it was so yummy. It's so much easier to cook.
    Be careful with the canned veggies... go for low sodium b.c they tend to have a high sodium count.
    I still have thos JennieO turkey burgers in my freezer... dunno why I haven't gotten to them. Maybe I'm just tired of turkey burgers:sick:
  • bnlmembercb
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist. I am just passing along some info and wanted everyone to see who the info was coming from.

My mistake - I skipped the beginning where it mentioned who wrote the article!
  • Healthier_Me
    Options

My mistake - I skipped the beginning where it mentioned who wrote the article!
    No worries:bigsmile:
  • suziqdaycare
    Options
    hel86839.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counterlo, i have a question? d you think that n/s works.suzi