Don't eat when you're not hungry. Doesn't work.

Options
3 years ago. I decided to follow the "don't eat if you're not hungry" idea. This, on average put me at about 900 a day. I lost about 25 pounds in two months. Yes it did help me lose weight but as soon as my hunger returned, I gained it all back. Fellow MFPers please eat at least the minimum or you will have a lot of problems later on. I gained 40 back by the way...

Now I reach my minimum everyday even if I have to get a late night snack (eating time doesn't matter by the way) So please for yourself and your future maintenance. EAT MORE. Even if its ice cream, so what? Meet your minimum and you will be so much happier.

I've lost 10lbs in about 3 weeks and I couldn't be happier. I'm even upping my minimum by 100cal tomorrow. So please enjoy your food.

Replies

• tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • kayleighfurfie
    Options
    I agree! :) I eat 5 small meals a day. Keeps me happy, healthy and energetic. And I'm losing inches!
  • Jamina1
    Jamina1 Posts: 2
    Options
    This is my biggest problem.

I would say not eating when you're not hungry is a good thing, especially if you're dealing with food addiction, but your advice to eat the minimum is also good. I would say to strike a balance: make sure you're not just bored before you eat by drinking a big glass of water and waiting 20 minutes. Chances are that hunger will go away. Make sure you get your minimums, but don't eat mindlessly either!

MINDFULNESS of what you are eating is key.
  • CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I keep a schedule to make sure I eat even if im not hungry every 2-3 hours. That way my body is always fueling the metabolic rate!!!
  • Siriku
    Siriku Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if I ate when I was actually hungry, I would likely only be eating around 200-300 calories a day. I have to go around 18 hours or so before my body will even acknowledge wanting food. When I have particularly bad bouts of depression, I can go 2-3 days without feeling hungry or the urge to eat at all. On occasion, even longer.

Unless I hit the gym particularly hard, I have to force myself to eat. I mean, I find eating enjoyable as it is, but my body doesn't actively tell me it wants to eat. I have to remind myself or else I won't.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I just see so many people eating at 1000 calories saying they are full and blah blah blah and this really upsets me because they are really harming their bodies :( You're more successful at permanent weight loss if you eat atleast the TDEE -20%. I'm still working on mine but I've had a lot of success eating a lot more that I thought I could.
  • starsybyll
    starsybyll Posts: 32
    Options
    My whole life I have not eaten much. I probably ate no more than 800-1000 a day when I wasn't dieting. I gained a lot of weight from a bad reaction to medication and so the idea of having to eat MORE than I was eating when I was just living life seems absurd to me, personally. It's basically impossible for me to get near that number without feeling sick.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I just see so many people eating at 1000 calories saying they are full and blah blah blah and this really upsets me because they are really harming their bodies :( You're more successful at permanent weight loss if you eat atleast the TDEE -20%. I'm still working on mine but I've had a lot of success eating a lot more that I thought I could.
    I'm curious how the billions of people who eat according to their hunger signals and not MFP could be all harming their bodies.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    What works for one might not work for another. Everyone should do what works for them and makes them happy.

I'm happy for you, losing your weight!! Give yourself a pat on the back! :)
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    one common thing I noticed on thin people I know...is they only eat when they are hungry and stop once they don't feel hungry.

and they do this all their life, not just for a month or 2...
  • skruttan44
    skruttan44 Posts: 86 Member
    Options

you might want to figure the BMR and TDEE for other numbers than your own before assuming what works for you will work for others. My BMR is 1206, TDEE 1447. Taking 3 years to lose 30 lbs is not in my plan.
  • albayin
    Options

you might want to figure the BMR and TDEE for other numbers than your own before assuming what works for you will work for others. My BMR is 1206, TDEE 1447. Taking 3 years to lose 30 lbs is not in my plan.

are you sure these numbers are correct? TDEE seems low...unless you are just sitting around and do nothing?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I'm curious how the billions of people who eat according to their hunger signals and not MFP could be all harming their bodies.

one of two things is going on...they have never had an issue with weight because they are in tune with their bodies and get enough calories to maintain their weight...not below 1k...

Or

They aren't getting in enough food and suplement with coffee, smoking, alcohol and are either underweight or very overweight to obese...

Hunger cues can be distorted by lack of food...how do you think famine victims don't go mad with hunger...and if you are lucky enough to be in tune with your body cues due to lifelong healthy habits yah...but guess what...

Those people on here who are overweight by 25-200lbs can't rely on their hunger signals otherwise they wouldn't need to lose weight and when they get here some...not all think faster ...I have to lose it faster and stop eating enough...that messes up hunger cues...see above...
  • skruttan44
    Options

are you sure these numbers are correct? TDEE seems low...unless you are just sitting around and do nothing?

Number are correct if a person is a "couch potato ,desk job".
    I DO add exercise, a LOT of it to get my deficit higher, but there is no way I am going to eat them and ruin all the hard work as I am very satisfied with 1200 calories.

But yes the numbers are correct.
  • albayin
    Options

I DO add exercise, a LOT of it to get my deficit higher, but there is no way I am going to eat them and ruin all the hard work as I am very satisfied with 1200 calories.

I could be wrong but that's now what I have learned how TDEE works...but whatever works for you just keep it. :)
  • skruttan44
    Options

I could be wrong but that's now what I have learned how TDEE works...but whatever works for you just keep it. :)

Since the TDEE really doesn't know how much or what exercise one does, I prefer to use the ption they have for "desk job" instead of the number of days I exercise, and those are the number they give me. Then I calculate the ones I burn myself.

But between being a female,older age and short, it is hard to work to a decent deficit while getting enough nutrition. I really don't think there is any room for "extras" if one is staying on 1200 calories. Everything eaten needs to be good nutrition or there will be a lack of something in the diet.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

hmmm...it doesn't take 3 years to lose 30lbs...took me less than 18 months to lose over 50...and I ate all my exercise calories back while doing NEAT Method (which is what you are doing, not TDEE) and since moving to TDEE I have lost 25lbs in less than 10 months...

but if you choose...yes choose...to deprive your body of nutrients and chance gaining it back later because you have failed to realize that losing slowly is more sustainable in the long run that is your choice...have fun with that...those of us who have figured it out will eat the food we want when we want and still lose the weight we want...and we have a better chance of maintaining it...being more healthy as we age due to the fact we haven't lost muscle mass while losing our weight.
  • skruttan44
    Options

hmmm...it doesn't take 3 years to lose 30lbs...took me less than 18 months to lose over 50...and I ate all my exercise calories back while doing NEAT Method (which is what you are doing, not TDEE) and since moving to TDEE I have lost 25lbs in less than 10 months...

but if you choose...yes choose...to deprive your body of nutrients and chance gaining it back later because you have failed to realize that losing slowly is more sustainable in the long run that is your choice...have fun with that...those of us who have figured it out will eat the food we want when we want and still lose the weight we want...and we have a better chance of maintaining it...being more healthy as we age due to the fact we haven't lost muscle mass while losing our weight.

You are assuming I do not eat food I want? Why do you assume that? I eat what I want, and you can eat what you want...
    not losing muscle mass...doing strength training, and I am very well aware of nutrition.

I did use the TDEE calculator but I am no expert. As I stated, I added my numbers and said I had desk job.

I WANT to eat healthy, I do not have cravings , and if I happen to want a piece of chocolate I would eat it!

The funny thing is that just because someone is eating at 1200 calories, so many here assume we are "depriving " ourselves of things we "want" to eat.

Every time in my life I have gained weight, is when I have quit exercise. So I know that for me, it is an important tool once I go from weight loss to maintain, I need to stay active (which sis good for me anyway! ) :smile:

P.S the 3 year was just something I threw in there...didn't mean it literally, just the deficit would be so small it seems as the 30 lbs would take forever. sorry.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    without adequate protien you are losing muscle mass. As well you said you don't eat your exercise calories back so you are netting under 1200 which means the following:

you are not getting in enough protien to sustain muscle repair
    you are not getting in enough fat to absorb some of the vitamins and minerals
    you will get lethargic and you may not even realize it, grumpy etc.
    your hair and nails will become brittle/soft and not grow well
    you do damage to other muscles such as your heart
    if you continue netting such low calories you do damage to your bones etc which causes issues later in life.
    If you eat such low calories (gross 1200 with exercise) your body will eventually go into adaptive thermogenisis where your body finds it difficult to lose weight at "normal" levels of calories no matter the exercise...then you have to repair.

You can get in your macros on Net 1200 if you are very very very very careful which means little to no treats and as you stated you eat what you want so you are not watching macros.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html#more-9313

But as indicated you choose to do this to yourself...that is your choice. You are grossing 1200...big difference between that and netting 1200...which you are not doing...
    but there is no way I am going to eat them and ruin all the hard work as I am very satisfied with 1200 calories.

I have a desk job and I walk 5k steps a day at the office plus whatever I do when I get home...but I exercise too and can lose weight eating 1800 calories a day...

I liken this to punishing oneself for being overweight...because it is unnecessary and only done to lose the weight (muscle and fat) faster which usually means...rebound and yo yo....(speaking from experience)

I like my choice better...eating and fueling my body, getting stronger (benching 130lbs) and losing mainly fat in the 50+lbs

Again your choice just putting it out there as another choice.
  • skruttan44
    Options
    without adequate protien you are losing muscle mass. As well you said you don't eat your exercise calories back so you are netting under 1200 which means the following:

you are not getting in enough protien to sustain muscle repair
    you are not getting in enough fat to absorb some of the vitamins and minerals
    you will get lethargic and you may not even realize it, grumpy etc.
    your hair and nails will become brittle/soft and not grow well
    you do damage to other muscles such as your heart
    if you continue netting such low calories you do damage to your bones etc which causes issues later in life.
    If you eat such low calories (gross 1200 with exercise) your body will eventually go into adaptive thermogenisis where your body finds it difficult to lose weight at "normal" levels of calories no matter the exercise...then you have to repair.

You can get in your macros on Net 1200 if you are very very very very careful which means little to no treats and as you stated you eat what you want so you are not watching macros.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/another-look-at-metabolic-damage.html#more-9313

But as indicated you choose to do this to yourself...that is your choice. You are grossing 1200...big difference between that and netting 1200...which you are not doing...
    but there is no way I am going to eat them and ruin all the hard work as I am very satisfied with 1200 calories.

I have a desk job and I walk 5k steps a day at the office plus whatever I do when I get home...but I exercise too and can lose weight eating 1800 calories a day...

I liken this to punishing oneself for being overweight...because it is unnecessary and only done to lose the weight (muscle and fat) faster which usually means...rebound and yo yo....(speaking from experience)

I like my choice better...eating and fueling my body, getting stronger (benching 130lbs) and losing mainly fat in the 50+lbs

Again your choice just putting it out there as another choice.

I understand what you are saying.
    Protein is hard to get enough of, i am also a vegetarian so with 1200 I am taking extra protein of course.

The only reason I responded to the OP was because I have read so many, bashing on the 1200.
    If a person is healthy, and full and satisfied, on the 1200, all calculators are pointing to it, why do so many have an issue with it?
    That has been my question...not everyone is wanting to eat unhealthy foods, and feeling deprived if they don't.
    Not everyone might be interested in eating "as much as possible" either.

I do eat large quantities due to the low calorie in the item si eat but still.

Just wish there would be a little less bashing on the ones that go for a lower calorie diet.

When using calculators, try using numbers for older persons, women who are short 5' or under, and you will see people do not require as many calories as you would think. Menopause etc all have an effect.