How to deal with clothes that don't fit?

Options
Hello everyone! I am starting to notice that some of my tighter fitting clothing are now fitting more comfortably (yay), but I know soon they will be huge on me (kind of yay). I want to know how all of you deal with this, especially those of you who have or are currently losing 150+ pounds. I can't really afford to buy new clothes everytime I drop a size or two seeing as I already struggle to buy food for myself, pay tuition, etc.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am starting to notice that some of my tighter fitting clothing are now fitting more comfortably (yay), but I know soon they will be huge on me (kind of yay). I want to know how all of you deal with this, especially those of you who have or are currently losing 150+ pounds. I can't really afford to buy new clothes everytime I drop a size or two seeing as I already struggle to buy food for myself, pay tuition, etc.
    Second hand stores are your friends. You can find some nice but cheap clothing.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options

I find it kind of difficult finding secondhand shops that sell clothes is my size however. The only place I really know around my neighboorhood that is easily accessed via public transport is Goodwill and even they can be a little expensive.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Shop sales, yard sales, Goodwill stores.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    GOODWILL. Donate what doesn't fit. I've found a black suede trench coat there, never worn, tags still on it, $ 5.49. Belts to define your new waistline, 99 cents. Tops, shirts, etc., $ 3.49. No need to spend $$$ on clothes while still losing weight.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Are you on FB? Many areas have local Facebook "yard sale" type pages that are area-specific. People often sell individual pieces of clothing on there, or they'll post a photo of a whole bag of clothes and say what size everything generally is and name a price for the whole bag. I've sold an enormous black garbage bag full of clothes that were too big for me for like $25 on the site in my area. Might be worth a try? I posted a picture of all of the stuff laid out on a bed, and then wrote something like "clothing from XYZ brands, all clean and in good condition, things range in size from size 14-16. Asking $25 obo for the whole bag of stuff". You might get a nice variety of stuff that way?

Or see if there's a Plato's Closet in Buffalo, and try selling some clothing there when you have stuff that's too big? They pay cash. I only suggest that because I used to live in Binghamton NY, and I know they aren't super close, but Binghamton had a Plato's, so I figure Buffalo might too, being that they're large college towns.
  • sandy_taylor13
    sandy_taylor13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Ross or Marshalls? They are discount stores and I always got my in between size clothes at those places. I'm in California and these shops are perfect for our needs.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

I find it kind of difficult finding secondhand shops that sell clothes is my size however. The only place I really know around my neighboorhood that is easily accessed via public transport is Goodwill and even they can be a little expensive.

I used to have that problem, but that's one of the joys of losing weight. Check out the thrift stores once in awhile as you go down, and don't automatically think something won't fit you. It never hurts to try it on. Soon enough you'll be able to shop at thrift stores without being certain they don't carry your size. Also, if you're confident that you'll stick with things and see something that you absolutely love a couple sizes too small, don't be afraid to get it. Only if you really love it though, because you don't need to have a whole new wardrobe set up for a size you haven't reached yet.

On that note though, I kept my clothes far longer than I should have, until they started slipping off my shoulders and exposing my bra strap in some cases. I went from a US 26 to a US 22 before I got new shirts. After having my wardrobe for the last 5 years (some items at least), I was reluctant to get rid of them! A few things my cousin tailored for me so that I could keep wearing them a bit longer. I also asked family and friends who were losing weight or had lost weight if I could look through their old clothes. Between the occasional thrift store visit and friends/family, I've now got a wardrobe that will last me for a few more sizes.

The only exception for me was jeans. I get new jeans every two sizes (started at 26, got new ones at 22, about to get new ones at 18), because having jeans that don't fit drives me crazy and makes me feel frumpy. With shirts, particularly if you have more flowy shirts like I do, there tends to be more leeway.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Buy used clothes. If you're going to drop sizes, you can't wear the same clothes forever.

If you know it's real and you're determined and you're really going to lose a lot, do not go crazy buying new clothes all the time.

I have bought a lot on eBay and webstore. Quality varies. I can tell you the names of a few people I bought good items from. It won't mean all their stuff is good, but if can look up the names, if you want.

It is fun to see yourself in the new clothes. You look better (and thinner) in clothes that fit. I do wear everything as long as I can, though.
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Do you know how to do some basic sewing? I have started taking in the waistlines of my pants, and have been experimenting with modifying t-shirts (thanks to Pinterest). There are lots of great tutorials on You Tube. Needle and thread are cheaper than even Goodwill!
  • bellaphile
    bellaphile Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Craigslist. There are often people either giving away or selling bags of clothes, usually in one size. It's not glamorous, but it's definitely cheap
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies! :-) I'm currently a small 28/large 26 and I have clothes that fit me until about 20/22. After that, I think I will take your advice and check out my local Goodwill (thank goodness they are open on Saturdays!). For anyone else who is also wondering how to not spend too much money on clothes while losing weight, I just remembered that eBay is pretty okay for finding temp clothes.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I employ the belt. The belt is a piece of leather or cord that you can wrap around your waist to hold your pants up.
  • EventuallyFormerFatty
    Options
    As many here have said, thrift shops, garage sales, yard sales, and the like are your friend. It is the only reason I consistently have black pants to wear to work. They were having a "clear the winter stock" sale awhile back and I grabbed a pair of black pants in each of the next five sizes down from where I was and have already shrunk out of three of them.

Belted styles are your friend. Wrap dresses are a godsend.

Invest in a few good looking belt that you can notch in as you lose weight. I will often wear one of my dress shirts from 80 lbs ago with a belt around the waist.

Buy the basics only for awhile. Once you reach your goal or even your halfway point if you have a long way to go, then you can splurge on some of those cute items. But do not be tempted to buy something every time you fit into a different size. I have a very specific dress code for work, so those are really the only clothes I buy for now and I have a few dresses for the weekends. Because my body is in a state of flux, clothes are just something I wear to cover up for now, no thoughts of looking fashionable quite yet. That will come.

I recently got a sewing machine and am learning the basics of tailoring so I can make the clothes I have smaller. If you have no desire to learn sewing, check prices with a local tailor. Sometimes it is cost effective to have something taken in, sometimes it isn't.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Definitely thrift stores or consignment stores for me. I *love* not paying retail. I recently got a pair of Chico's platinum jeans for $4.99 and they don't even look like they've been worn. Thankfully the job I just started in December is a wear-what-you-want software company. (Jeans, shorts, etc. - just no swimsuits.)
  • jstavix
    jstavix Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I also suggest seeing if the area you live in has a freecycle community. You have to have a yahoo account to access it, you join, post that you want something and someone freecycles it to you. I get rid of all my kids clothes this way as there is always someone who can use free gently worn items. You have to pay it forward and offer something to give away, good karma :) I would look into that for sure, you might be surprised and get some new clothes for free!!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I like to belt dresses and button up shirts. Some things can be quickly mended with a sewing machine to fit
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options

I've seen a lot of posts where people's advice is to invest in some belts. Shirts last a little bit longer than pants. Goodwill is cheap.
  • Nikkisfitblog
    Nikkisfitblog Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Im having opposite issues...muscle wont squeeze into old clothes...
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I started at a 24/26W, and also found Goodwill to be a bit hit or miss when it came to carrying my sizes, but I'm now down to an 18-20, and am almost overwhelmed at the options they have in my size! Every week, Goodwill has a "Color of the Week", where that color tag is 50% off of the marked price. It keeps their stock constantly rotating. Be sure to look out for whatever color it is that week! If you live close enough to one, you can go every week and shop only the color of the week tags!

I also feel you on even Goodwill being out of budget when you have a tight one. Rather than give myself $50 every time I go to Goodwill (I don't live close, so it's every 6 weeks or so), I add it to my bi-weeky budget. I have a piggy bank specifically for new clothes. I add $10 per pay period (2 weeks) PLUS $1 per pound I lose. The $10 gets saved, either for long term goal rewards or for a final, complete new wardrobe. The $1 per pound goes to my Goodwill fund. I'll spend whatever I can out of pocket as well, but having that savings jar has really helped so far!
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and I invested in a heavy duty sewing machine so that I could easily hem my jeans. At 5'5", I've got a 30" inseam. It's pretty rare to come across used petite pants. I also forgot that I've bought clothing lots on eBay. You know, a box of 10 used shirts for $20, etc.

We used to have a plus size consignment store in the city where I work, which was REALLY nice as the sizes went down. You should check to see if you have a Clothes Mentor nearby. That store gives you cash on the spot for your used clothes. They are super picky, so you know you'll find good quality when you shop there. (And they sell used name brand purses too!) I lucked out the last time I was there because I found a women's Harley Davidson leather riding jacket for $85. (Sounds expensive, but they sell on eBay for around $300 used and WAY more at the store.)