Not weighing in everyday and struggling!

Options
I am trying to only weigh once a week and I am having major struggles with it. I usually weigh myself every morning so i'm trying something new. I'm the type of person who needs to see results for change and I am thinking that if I see good results in a weeks time that, that will be good motivation but it is hard to change habits thats for sure. Anyone else struggling with the amount of times they weigh in, in a week?

Replies

• FerryfieldLad
    FerryfieldLad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh in every morning too, its just too easy when the scales are there. But after a while I actually got myself down because your bodyweight changes on a daily basis.

When I went to once per week (sometimes I can wait a month) the difference you see if much bigger and its much more motivating.

It also alleviates the 'I'm doing quite well so this won't hurt' temptation to eat on a daily basis - because you are aiming to see big results on that big weigh in!
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I too am having a hard time with this and have made my husband hide the scale....
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    From posts that I have seen....a lot of people on here weigh themselves everyday including myself!
  • Bluesmilie
    Bluesmilie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I am trying to weight myself once a week too because I don't like to weigh myself everyday, up down, up down. I feel better when it's once a week. Plus I have taken my measurements too because sometimes you don't lose pounds but you lose inches of your body :)

Add me, I'm new :)
  • karriecook
    karriecook Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday but would like to try to go to 2 x week.
  • Sheriemae
    Sheriemae Posts: 248
    Options
    I have a VERY hard time with this as well! My weigh in day is suppose to be Friday, but I weigh myself on Monday to see if I gained over the weekend, and every Wednesday to see how I'm doing sofar during the week. I'm happy that I have gotten it down to 3 days a week, hopefully I will eventually just do it once per week.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Ive always weighed everyday and no guilt about it..I do it to stay accountable..enugh stress in life I dont want to stress myself about when I choose to hop on the scale ...however I only have my "weigh in" once a week where i post it.
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    I had the same problem too...I would weigh myself 2-3 times in a day...once when I woke up, once before I took my shower and then at the end of the day! How CRAZY! So, in an attempt to quit yet another nasty habit I have moved my scale under my bed! So far so good...it's been 3 days and I haven't jumped on it. I think trying to watch our weight go down every single day is like watching a pot of water boil...it takes so much longer or at least it feels that way! Besides, if we save it for the end of the week (I like Fridays the best because we always weigh less on that day) we feel like we've made a huge accomplishment. Good luck!
  • randyv99
    randyv99 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Ive always weighed everyday and no guilt about it..I do it to stay accountable..enugh stress in life I dont want to stress myself about when I choose to hop on the scale ...however I only have my "weigh in" once a week where i post it.

I more or less do this as well. My scale is actually right outside of my bedroom door so that I have to walk around it. I started with 1 official weigh-in a week then to 2x a month but I think I'm going to go back to weekly.
  • MGJ123
    MGJ123 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    YES.... I do that too, but only when I am really focused on losing. Funny but it doesn't bother me at all not to weigh when I am not trying to lose weight. I agree though it would be so much more motivating if I would weigh only once a week.
  • Ding724
    Ding724 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Oh mannnnnnn. Don't get me started on stupid scales. I have a terrible obsession with stepping on them. There were days that I stepped on that stupid thing every time I walked into the bathroom or past the bathroom!!!!!! For me, I am still working on just weighing in ONE time per day and plan to slowly start working my way down to once per week. I have chosen mornings at 8:30 to weigh-in so that I am consistent. Today I almost stepped on it after lunch & had to remind myself that I was happy with my weight this morning :happy:
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself once a week until I read a study by the University of Minnesota that compared people who weighed once a day to people who did not. The people who weighed every day lost 50% more weight than those that did not. So just this month, I started weighing and logging my weigh every day. Yes, there has been fluctuations. But I have a set day (Wednesdays) that is my "official" weigh in and that is the one that I pay attention too. I also noticed a DEFINITE correlation to my weight and sodium so it really helps me keep my sodium in check to see it on the scale.

You can read about the study here

http://chealth.canoe.ca/channel_section_details.asp?text_id=3868&channel_id=159&relation_id=30113
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have weighed every single day for a year or more. I do know that your weight can fluctuate alot in a dingle day which is whybits not advised, but it doesn't bother me one bit. It kind of helps to keep me in line! Oh and I should add thT while I weigh daily, I only record my weight on MFP each Sunday when I start a new week.
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I see little changes up and down all week, then I post the lowest once a week. Doesn't cause me any problems, and helps me keep a closer eye on my sodium.