I Am LOVING My Digital Scale

Options
I finally caved and bought a digital scale on Saturday. I'd been using an analog scale that I've had since the 90s because I'm a "use it until it breaks" type person. However, having to recalibrate it every time I weighed something, not to mention having to squint to read the smaller lines and not being able to zero out for containers finally broke me. I was just done.

Anyway, when I got the new scale home, I went on a weighing binge of almost everything to be had in my kitchen. What surprised me is that with my old scale, I had been under on the serving size of yummy things like ice cream, butter, and PB, but over on things like rice, pasta, and cereal.

It's so much fun weighing things digitally. I even weighed my cat's dry food. I know that I'm way too geeked up about this, but my left brained, numbers oriented mind is in love with the scale. I can't wait to see if my progress speeds up.

Replies

• mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Wait, what? How did your old analogue kitchen scales know whether it was weighing "yummy" foods or not?!
  • 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yay!
    Tip for digital scales! When weighing something awkward like sauces, put the container on the scale, set it to zero, use it, then put it back on the scale and it will show you what you used in negative amounts :D
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yay!
    Tip for digital scales! When weighing something awkward like sauces, put the container on the scale, set it to zero, use it, then put it back on the scale and it will show you what you used in negative amounts :D

Thanks for the tip. There's going to be a learning curve for achieving efficiency in weighing various things, but it's fun. It's like I have a new toy.

There was a thread I found in a search that listed various tips for using a digital scale. I should have bumped it to keep it on my list, but I'm sure I'll find it easily.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Wait, what? How did your old analogue kitchen scales know whether it was weighing "yummy" foods or not?!

I'm certain it did not. The issue appears to have been one of weighing dense items vs. not so dense items. The ultimate point is that the scale was inaccurate and I should have replaced it long ago.