Calories Burned (Negative Calories) with MFP

Options
Hey All,

I'm still new around here I've been running for about 3 weeks (runkeeper) and using myfitnesspal and my withings pedometer. I was losing weight for about the first week week and a half then I gained a bit. It may have been because I ate bad over the weekend but I wanted to make sure it wasn't because I'm eating too many/not enough calories.

Here's a link to what it looks like on my phone: http://imgur.com/a/IJpbU

I am confused about how MFP calculates calories burned during fitness and if its doing it correctly or not. I have a few questions and anyone that can help me out it would be awesome!

#1. The math doesn't seem to be right. If you take my running activity and add it together with my walking it equals 286 calories. But if you look up top it says Exercise 182? I am not sure how this formula works.

#2. 10529 steps = 52 calories burned? Withings and MFP seem to differ greatly as to how many calories I am burning. My Withings said I Burned 430 calories today between steps and running (I wear it all the time). Who is correct?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

Replies

• pattijean74
    Options
    Hey!
    I too am new to myfitnesspal. I use a plain pedometer and then calculate the number of steps into minutes of mph walking. example... I work retail so I walk at a pace of 2 miles per hour. When I walk 10000 this equals 5 miles at 2 mph which is 300 minutes of walking calories burned = 1615. At least I hope I'm doing it right... I lost 3 pounds the first week. There is a site, HEALTHSTATUS.COM that will calculate calories burned for an activity specific to gender, age and weight...
    hope this helps... Keep up the good work.

And ps, please let me know if I'm not correct in my calcs - thanks :):smile:
  • xbrackstonex
    Options
    Giving this a bump hoping maybe it gets some attention on the weekend.
  • karencercone1
    karencercone1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I use a Polar Heart rate monitor when I work out, it's great and very accurate, compared to the MFP preprogrammed calories or mapmy run...
  • roenutrition
    roenutrition Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how MFP calculates calories burned for an exercise activity different from Healthstatus.com. Is one more accurate than the other?

Example: Walked 63 minutes and MFP states calories burned = 300. Healthstatus = 466.
    Does anyone know who is more accurate.

I am not wearing any kind of device to track my HR etc.

Thanks.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    OP, it could be that you are getting some kind of negative adjustment. What is your activity level on MFP?
  • xbrackstonex
    Options
    OP, it could be that you are getting some kind of negative adjustment. What is your activity level on MFP?

Lemur, thank you for your reply. I listed my activity level as sedentary because I am not very active during the day.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Regular daily steps that you do at work, etc should not be entered as exercise, these should be accounted for in your activity level. I am thinking the WiThings calculation is averaging what it considers above your normal steps/day (I could be wrong). Sorry my Loop doesn't sync with MFP but I would check the site info to see how WiThings is supposed to work with MFP, I am thinking it's like a fitbit so would likely be the same concept.

The running calculation is likely correct.

I can't view your diary so no comment there.
  • bcanderson123456
    bcanderson123456 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how MFP calculates calories burned for an exercise activity different from Healthstatus.com. Is one more accurate than the other?

Example: Walked 63 minutes and MFP states calories burned = 300. Healthstatus = 466.
    Does anyone know who is more accurate.

I am not wearing any kind of device to track my HR etc.

Thanks.

Most of the calculators on line double count. Meaning they are including the calories burned resting at the same time. You want the net calories burned. Try http://www.ahl4u.com/calculators.html, but you need to make sure you enter all the info for them to work right. Since I don't know your stats, using their calculator will get you closer to the real number burned.