Home gym recommendations? NROL

Options
3RMomma
3RMomma Posts: 55 Member
I'd like to get started using the new rules of lifting for women which means I need to get together an at home gym. I'm looking for recommendations. I would like to get a bench with the squat rack but can't afford to spend a ton of money. I've been checking out craigslist but without a lot of luck I'm also wondering what I should do for the pull down exercises and the pull-ups etc. thanks in advance.

Replies

• 3RMomma
    Options
    Bump
  • 3RMomma
    Options
    Oh and to clarify - any particular brand or model
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I'm in Australia so it might be different here but I got a lot of stuff for my home gym off eBay. I also got it over time, so not all in one hit which was more economical. OR - you could always ask for things for birthday/Christmas presents.

I still don't have a squat rack, but I can do a pretty decent leg day with squats, deadlifts, lunges, hip thrusts and whatever else I feel like on the day. I don't do the same workout twice in a week, but I might repeat them over a fortnight or in monthly sets. Similar to the staged routine NROLFW, which is a good programme.

Dumbbells and various weighted plates are fantastic and I can do most workouts with them. I also have a barbell and other stuff, but I had the dumbbells for a long time and still got a great workout. Maybe start with some dumbbells and yoga mat and add to your kit as you go.

Bodyweight exercises are pretty good as well. Also resistance bands are pretty cheap and are a good starter.
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Medicine ball, dumbbells, step, stability ball, resistance bands, etc.
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/article-detail/Building-a-Home-Gym-on-a-Budget-Cheap-Home-Gym-Equipment/99/
  • docc30
    docc30 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Play it Again Sports near you? I was able to get a bench, bar, and used plates pretty reasonably there. I also got lucky and found a used power rack on Craigslist for $100.
  • isha_12
    isha_12 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    are you trying to lose weight or bulk up?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want dumbbells, I would recommend select tech dumbbells. Also, you can get the perfect pull up bar. Otherwise, I would keep trolling craigslist.
  • 3RMomma
    Options
    Isha_12 - I'm not even sure how to answer that question! I'm 5'7 and 153 give or take, which puts my BMI in normal range... When I started this journey my goal was to lose weight and get to between 143-148... however, I thinking I'm leaning more in the direction of building muscle and worrying less about the scale and more about how I look/feel...
  • 3RMomma
    Options
    Doc - Great idea! thx!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    It is really hard to beat the price on this unit for a new Olympic sized bench and rack that will take you really far until you can upgrade to a full rack.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009PA1KJG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3N5ODSQB9MRBT&coliid=IOQLZSU430H58

You will still need weights though. Keep an eye out at garage sales or craigslist for "Olymipic" weights. Those adjustable dumbbells are pretty awesome also.
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Bowflex dumbbells, bodylastic resistance bands (great as they come with up to 6 months free membership for the liveexercise.com which has hundreds of exercise classes with elastic bands, dumbbells, body weight...), bench, exercise ball, gym mat, pull up bar for hanging into the door, some cardio equipment (spinning or elliptical).
    Stef.
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If money is tight your best bet is generally craigslist. If you're not in an active area you may need to expand your search a little bit. Sometimes a little patience and driving can grab you a great deal. If you can get a rack, bench, and weights that will give you all the versatility you need. I'm not particularly familiar with that routine, but I'm sure there are alternatives you can do with free weights to address pulley-based movements.

Depending on your budget, you can always go new. Do you have a target budget?
  • 3RMomma
    Options
    Mdizzie - no target budget... Just not so much that my hubby will ***** a lot and make me want to hit him with a dumb bell! I know I want free weights vs machines and resistance bands bc I'd like to heavy lift. I also know I'm going to be working out alone so safety is a consideration too....