I did 1 chin-up

Options
2»

Replies

• russellvolk
    russellvolk Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It feels pretty awesome! Thanks guys. Now that I have enough strength to do 1, hopefully that will lead to many more. If I can do 5 chin ups by end of the summer, I will be very happy.
  • GinGerSnapS713
    GinGerSnapS713 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    HURRAY OP!!!! I hope you did a happy dance!! (I did **blushing**)

For other asking for tips, I found what helped me most was rows and lat pulldowns then negative chin/pull-ups. You jump up to the chin-up position and slowly control your way down. Word of warning though, when you stop practicing they get harder to do, just like anything.
  • Happy_Niss
    Happy_Niss Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah!!! Great job! :flowerforyou:
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Nicely done OP!
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Congratulations OP.:drinker:
  • rap5781
    rap5781 Posts: 6
    Options
    Congrats! Great job! Keep working on the one and eventually it will become 2...3....4...you get the idea. ;-)
  • jsalzat
    jsalzat Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You're awesome!!!! My life goal is to do one before I die... I'm at the middle of the road and still haven't made much progress, but your accomplishment gives me great inspiration :smile:
    Congrats!!!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Awesome job OP!! Now you can look forward to more. Way to go!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I finally did one. It was ugly. I was hanging crooked, but I did it. I feel so happy and accomplished. Since I was a little kid, I couldn't do a single chin up. I remember in school we had to do chin ups and I failed. I went to camp and we had to do chin ups and I failed. I'm 38 years old and I finally did one. After losing about 30 lbs and working out now for about 6 months, I did it.

Just wanted to share it. Effort, patience and drive is what's needed to accomplish just about anything in life.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Earlier this year, at 35, I did my first, and the elation was immediate, so I can imagine how you feel.

Congrats, you did something difficult, worked hard for it, and boom. Did it. Now, KEEP IT UP. Do that one as often as you can, try to do a second. It will start to look better, and you'll eventually get that second one done. You keep up the losing, and a third one will be right behind it.

You deserve a victory lap.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! I'm 38 too and haven't managed to do one (ever) yet. I've been trying both resistance bands and reverse chin-ups. Any tips?

Do assisted pull ups (1 foot on a chair) to take away some of the weight. I did that for months until I was strong enough to do them without.

I say 'reverse' - you say 'one foot up on a chair' =D cheers though :)

A reverse would be where you jump up as close to a chin as you can and then let yourself down slowly under control, no?

Those are excellent to help bring on that second chin up. Good conditioning and strength building.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Feels good doesn't it - well done and all the best for more.

I would just add - you can use resistance bands as assistance bands - between the pull-up bar and either drop your knee into the band or step into it and use it to take a bit of your own bodyweight so you can get more reps in. Then when the assitance gives in - do a couple more by stepping on a chair and doing the negative part of the movement.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I finally did one. It was ugly. I was hanging crooked, but I did it. I feel so happy and accomplished. Since I was a little kid, I couldn't do a single chin up. I remember in school we had to do chin ups and I failed. I went to camp and we had to do chin ups and I failed. I'm 38 years old and I finally did one. After losing about 30 lbs and working out now for about 6 months, I did it.

Just wanted to share it. Effort, patience and drive is what's needed to accomplish just about anything in life.

Mega high five dude!!!!

More power to your elbow!
  • clackamas1911
    Options
    Congrats!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    There's something psychologically very powerful about doing chins. Mastering your bodyweight in a difficult compound movement.

Awesome victory OP!

Keep going: next step (and next victory) is to add some reps...
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! I'm 38 too and haven't managed to do one (ever) yet. I've been trying both resistance bands and reverse chin-ups. Any tips?

I posted a thread about this a few weeks ago: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1307995-tips-to-improve-chin-ups-without-negatives-or-bands

I'm doing multiple low rep sets now.

well done op! weight training in general is a great feeling, but hitting a goal like this which you couldn't do in the past (but probably always wanted to, like me) is even better.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Grats man. I was in the same boat. In highschool I was able to do 20-30 but a few years later and I couldn't get a single one. I actually resorted to watching all sorts of youtube videos and after a few short weeks, I was able to get 5-6. I still want to get more but I'm just happy with the few I can do. Just a thought, but doing negative pull up's/chin ups and bent over rows I think are magic when it comes to building the necessary muscle to do pull ups/chin ups.
  • ClareB1174
    ClareB1174 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's one more than I have ever done, so I'm impressed.

Well done :-)