100 lbs gone - advice required.

Options
Hi there,

I've been a member of MyFitnessPal for over 2 years and in that time I've managed to lose over 100 pounds in that time. Overall I've probably got another 50 pounds to loose.

But my question is not about weight but about confidence. I've created a new account to ask this question because I'm simply not brave enough to ask this under my own account. I'm 27 and have never had a girlfriend. When I was really big I felt undesirable and didn't get much attention from the ladies. I guess that was because I was unconfident about my body image in part.

Now I'm smaller, considerably smaller. I still have around 50 pounds to lose. My question really is I've seen this girl who works in the same building as me (not the same company) and I'd like to get to know her but I just don't know how to make the first steps. I feel out of my depth and for many years I've felt like 'people like me' just don't have girlfriends. I really would like any advice you can give me.

Replies

• jessmcanulty
    jessmcanulty Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Just say hello
  • Ladylori1975
    Ladylori1975 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would work on your self-esteem before getting together with a woman. Your self confidence is what will naturally attract females. You have to work on your self image just as hard as you have your physical health. That takes time, commitment, and work. I suggest picking up a few books about this...strengthen yourself first then try getting to know her. Low self-esteem is what will kill a relationship before it begins. There are just too many fears that jeopardize the relationship. Maybe just try and get to know her on a friendship level while focusing on healing yourself from the inside out. I wish you the best of luck!
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. It might work out it might not, you just never know

How do you know about her? Do you ride the elevator together? have you spoken with her before? Take it slow so as not to freak her out, maybe even start with a smile and slowly work up to a conversation, try and find something in common and then go from there. I would't ask her out too fast, i probably wouldn't go out with a stranger, ya know? Maybe once you;ve had a conversation or 2, give her a card with your number and say text/call me sometime. That way you put the ball in her court?
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I would work on your self-esteem before getting together with a woman. Your self confidence is what will naturally attract females. You have to work on your self image just as hard as you have your physical health. That takes time, commitment, and work. I suggest picking up a few books about this...strengthen yourself first then try getting to know her. Low self-esteem is what will kill a relationship before it begins. There are just too many fears that jeopardize the relationship. Maybe just try and get to know her on a friendship level while focusing on healing yourself from the inside out. I wish you the best of luck!

and this!
  • eomuno215in541
    eomuno215in541 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Anyone can get someone, even anyone if u know their needs. Find a way 2 start a conversation. Compliment something: jewelry, makeup, shoes. That's a flirt that tells her u like her. Strike a convo 2 or 3x, then ask her out.

If shes not interested, or u botch it, move on, find a new crush. Hair of the dog...but good luck!

And buy her lobster, so, she has to put out. Ladies, commence thrashing me...
  • cookmtn
    cookmtn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Fake it till you make it. In other words, you need to work on gaining confidence, but part of that will come from just taking that first step. If you don't fall flat on your face....success! That breeds More confidence. If you do fall, at least you had the guts to try, so try again. Keep it up!
  • 123losinforme
    123losinforme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You have accomplished this amazing feat, this extremely hard feat of losing so much weight and getting healthy talking to a girl should be easier than what you have done so far. My advice as a woman, be yourself don't try to impress her because being who you are is what women want to see. She's gonna know your nervous but that's OK, she'll think it's cute, ask her about herself. If you really want to get to know her, make a move.. just start out by saying hi, how was your weekend, have any plans for the fourth, if she doesn't see if she wants to go watch fireworks with you ...women are very approachable, unless she is a bi$$0%...then I wouldn't waste my time... good luck and remember God made someone special for each of us, it's your job to find that special someone, don't give up!

God bless!!
  • 123losinforme
    123losinforme Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Anyone can get someone, even anyone if u know their needs. Find a way 2 start a conversation. Compliment something: jewelry, makeup, shoes. That's a flirt that tells her u like her. Strike a convo 2 or 3x, then ask her out.

If shes not interested, or u botch it, move on, find a new crush. Hair of the dog...but good luck!

And buy her lobster, so, she has to put out. Ladies, commence thrashing me...

I hate lobster..
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I feel like every girl loves to laugh. Maybe joke around with her for a while. Get to know what interests her, what you guys have in common. Start with a simple flirtatious friendship. Compliments always help too! Usually once you start talking with a girl you get more comfortable around her and before you know it you'll have the courage to ask her out. Never be embarrassed. Girls like confidence in a guy. They don't want to have to constantly reassure you that you look/feel/act fine. You should already show that! I've never known a girl that shot down a confident guy. Just be proud of your accomplishments and build that confidence!
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    As a bisexual transgender I've been on both sides of the fence so to speak. Maybe genetic females will tell you something different, but the guys who I find attractive are the ones who show a genuine interest in me, are confident but not pushy, complimentary but not over-the-top, and don't spend all their time talking about themselves! Just my experience.
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    Congrats on the massive weight loss! Its obvious there is a self confidence issue here. Which is completely understandable. Dont beat yourself up about that. Are there any self confidence course nearby? I went on one myself. Worth it, if you're lacking. As for the girl, does she know you? Has she seen you etc? Perhaps she's lacking in confidence too? I would start off by just saying hello to be honest. I know it will be really difficult for you but its just one word :) She might even continue the conversation. You'll never know if you never try x
  • Yaxomoxay
    Yaxomoxay Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Now I'm smaller, considerably smaller. I still have around 50 pounds to lose. My question really is I've seen this girl who works in the same building as me (not the same company) and I'd like to get to know her but I just don't know how to make the first steps. I feel out of my depth and for many years I've felt like 'people like me' just don't have girlfriends. I really would like any advice you can give me.

Start martial arts. I would suggest one of those where you kick and screm (like Tae Kwon Do, Tang Soo Do, Karate Do etc.). At first it will seem akward, and you will shy out, you will not scream, you will hold kicks and punches. Then suddently your confidence will be boosted big time and you will feel like you can kick
  • bohoT
    bohoT Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Humans are awkward, flawed, insecure things. This is just as true for women as it is for men. Every pretty girl has farted during yoga, nervous puked in front of a group of people, went through an awkward period, made a joke that no one else got.

Don’t feel the need to hide. Find a way to dip your toe in the water in a way that makes you feel comfortable. Start a dating profile, join a social group – anyway that you can start getting comfortable sharing your stories and personality with other people. You did something amazing so take opportunities to share that with people.

Once you are comfortable socially, the rest will follow. There are shallow and dismissive people out there, but there are also dynamic and funny people who would love to share their lives with you
  • ossentia
    ossentia Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Confidence comes with time and experience. You will build it as you gain experience in confidence building activities, like asking a girl out. The very best mindset to get to is that it is OK to get rejected. Honestly, that is the absolute worst thing that can happen to you when you put yourself out there, and it just isn't that bad. You get rejected. You feel bummed. You move on to the next best thing. Women do appreciate confidence, and nothing says confidence more than a man who can just come right out and say what he wants (nice and politely, of course). Say hi, ask her out, see what happens. If she isn't interested, so be it. There are plenty of women out there who will be, but you'll never meet any of them if you don't allow yourself the possibility of getting rejected and get over the fear that you might be.
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Put yourself out there, and get a different result. You're 27. If you don't take chances you may end up being 40, and in the same situation.

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone."
  • bluesy8899
    bluesy8899 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Being a shy person who has been heavy a good part of my life, I can relate to this. Although I have had relationships and been married, being fat takes a toll on your psyche that is difficult to unlearn. It is hard to feel confident when society tells you that you are 'less than' due to your size.
    Congratulations on losing the weight, that is a great accomplishment and a step toward growth in other areas. One piece of advice I can offer that came out of a realization one day: I got tired of over analyzing situations and decided to just have fun. It has allowed me a degree of freedom no matter what the outcome may be and I learned that most people are happy to meet you. Smiles really are returned and there are many people like me who won't put themselves out there but will happily talk with you if you approach them.
    Best of luck to you, it sounds like you have a great start on your future
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Put yourself out there, and get a different result. You're 27. If you don't take chances you may end up being 40, and in the same situation.

"Life begins at the end of your comfort zone."

I love that first quote. I have it on my fb page :)
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    First off... Congratulations on the 100 lbs lost. I have been there and it is such an amazing feat! You must feel incredible. Well done.

I can't tell you what all women like or don't like. No one can as all women are different and special in their own way. These are only my thoughts as I drink my first cup of coffee of the morning.

I can tell you that you'll miss 100% of the time if you never take the shot. A few things which are largely human nature...

Most people like to feel important and feel listened to. Listening is such a critical skill and is so often neglected. Don't go on a date and talk exclusively about yourself... do talk about her. Ask questions. Find out her wants and likes.

Do find something fun to do that enables an easy flow in conversation. Sitting alone in a quiet restaurant with someone you don't know can be tricky if you aren't gregarious in nature. Doing an activity together can spur conversation quite easily.

Use her name and establish eye contact. There is nothing sweeter than the sound of a persons name on someone else's lips. Similarly eye contact establishes that you are listening to her. (just don't be creepy about it ;) ) I try to find out 5 things about someone when I first meet them... Eye color and four others. That tells me I was attentive and listening.

Don't be afraid to be yourself and be honest... your true self will come out eventually anyways. Nobody likes a fake.

Start by saying hello... Good Morning. How are you today? Try to notice her likes and dislikes, her hobbies and interests. You can tell a lot about someone by the way they dress and what they are carrying and try to find common ground for discussion.

I once met a girl simply by commenting on her concert tshirt. It was for a Chris Whitley concert back in the day... we had coffee later that night and dated for 6 months. Notice the little things. A nice compliment can go a long ways.

Don't be afraid to be nervous. Its human nature. Joke about it. Be honest about it. Some people find that endearing. Joking about it eases the tension. But remember it is normal.

Anyways... My coffee cup is almost empty and I've rambled on enough.

Good luck and again... Congrats!
  • aarnwine2013
    aarnwine2013 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Just start with hello! Congrats on your weighloss and I bet she will surprise. If she doesn't, there are plenty of fish in the sea as they said and I'm sure you will find someone!

Good luck!
  • atfirstblush
    atfirstblush Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'd start with a Hi! and a smile. Make sure you are noticed by her by making quick eye contact. Every day that you run into her build up a few more words to say until you feel confident talking a real conversation. Also practice saying hello to other woman you don't have a crush on, use them for practice. In addition do things that build your confidence, wear clothing you feel good in, get a great haircut to build up your confidence. Good luck to you.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!