Moving to Germany do not know what to expect for food!

Options
I have been doing so well lately in terms of keeping up with my calories and exercise, I'm really worried about this move.

My husband is military and we are about to go to Germany (Bavaria) for 3 years! As exciting as that is, I have no idea what kinda of foods to expect to see...my husband was basically raised there and being 6'3 240lbs he can't wait to eat everything...me I'm a little paranoid because as much as I want to enjoy my new surroundings I do not want to ruin my weight loss that's happened so far.

I'm glad that most of Europe has banned gmo, so that's great that I will not have to worry about that anymore. Germany is well known for it's fattening food.

Anyone have personal experience on what to eat to not tip the scales overseas?

Replies

• bethanytapp
    bethanytapp Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The one thing you'll have in your favor is that most of Europe is more pedestrian/ bike friendly. The cultural norm will be to walk/ bike places....even daily walks to the grocery store. My advice (and what always works on vacations in Europe for me) is stay active and enjoy the food. Last time I was in Germany I spend 2-3 hours a day walking around the town and the hills around where my friend lives.
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    GMO isn't unhealthy.

Traditional German food is very high fat (cheese, meat) and high carb (bread) so that can be a recipe for disaster if you don't control your portions. You'll find that the locals tend to eat small portions of these and restaurant/cafe/bakery portions are all smaller than in the US while costing more. However, like in any developed western nation, you can buy fresh produce and food at the grocery stores to make whatever you want. The average German grocery store is not huge and inclusive like American supermarkets but you can probably find whatever you want except for Mexican seasonings which are I know are popular with many Americans.

Also, every city and town has farmer market areas where you can buy fresh, good-tasting fruit and vegetables. These aren't that cheap compared to Walmart but they taste really good (and also spoil quickly).
  • JulieMarieLopez07
    Options
    I am active duty army. I was previously stationed in Germany for 3 years. What I can tell you, European options are MUCH healthier than American options by any means. I mean obviously they just like any couuntry have their not so figure flattering foods, but you can avoid those should you chose to. I throughly enjoyed the couuntry the entire time I was there and also managed to be the smallest I ever was while stationed there. Not to mention, you will still have access to the commisary so if you decide to swear off German food, you'll still have the commisary for grocery shopping. Most importantly, ENJOY yourself, don't be a homebody, you're getting an oppertunity that most never will :)
  • Auraonfire
    Auraonfire Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    We probably won't have a vehicle for the first month we are there waiting for it to be shipped there so I'll be burning them snitzels off walking around town lol
  • GreatDepression
    Options
    Schnitzel is an Austrian specialty.

As someone else pointed out, if you want uniquely American food, you can easily shop at the grocery store on the base.
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Where are you going? The only thing I can tell you is that German food is delicious. I lived there from '84-'88 during HS, and yes, I put on some weight! Try everything. Enjoy everything. Just do it in moderation. You are absolutely going to love it there. I am jealous. It was hands down the absolute best time of my life!! (Sorry I couldn't give you any real advice - but I'm excited for you!) Tschuss!! :happy:
  • Auraonfire
    Options
    Moving to Vilseck/Grafeonwoher, I'm pretty excited...my husband has family (his opa) lives near Stuttgart in a village by the Black Forest so I'm excited to meet him. My german is so not the best but I'm learning!

I've noticed a lot of Greek restaurants in pics for germany, is the food similar to here in the states at traditional Greek food?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Schnitzel is an Austrian specialty.
    Wiener Schnitzel is an Austrian specialty and made with veal. Pork Schnitzel is typically German and one of the most popular meals....and the first one I learned in home-economics in my little southern German village where I grew up and a daily staple in the cafeteria in Berlin where I went to university.
    If you google " Schnitzel " you will fins that many countries count it as part of their cuisine....but yes, Veal Schnitzel (Kalbschnitzel ) is typically Austrian.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    you'll be able to get horse there, it's delicious!
  • photochik71
    photochik71 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    We were stationed in Mannheim from '93-'96. The food is fabulous! Thinking about jaeger schnitzel and spaetzle makes my mouth water! You can always buy from the commissary, and you will do tons of walking! We lived on the fourth floor with no elevator. I hated that part, but it got me some activity in! Enjoy your time there. Lots of bike paths there also.
  • Ang108
    Options
    Moving to Vilseck/Grafeonwoher, I'm pretty excited...my husband has family (his opa) lives near Stuttgart in a village by the Black Forest so I'm excited to meet him. My german is so not the best but I'm learning!

I've noticed a lot of Greek restaurants in pics for germany, is the food similar to here in the states at traditional Greek food?

I am from the Black Forest and just would like to point out that from there to Stuttgart 220kms, which I believe is about 140 miles. Of course on the Autobahn it is a quick 220 kms, but still worthwhile pointing out that Stuttgart and the Black Forest are not close. But either area is nice. Stuttgart is a bit more urban with a good connection to München and Austria as well as to the North. The Black Forest is more quaint, but with lots of skiing in winter, lots of sight seeing in summer and within minutes of the French border and very close to Switzerland. I am from a place called Gengenbach ( worthwhile googling ) and from there it's 15 minutes to Strasbourg and 25 to Basel....:o).

PS: Out of curiosity I just checked, because I know the Stuttgart area and also know that there is a big US military base in Vilseck, but could not connect the two. This is mostly because Vilseck is also 220 kms from Stuttgart, but in a different direction from the Black Forest. Stuttgart and the Black Forest are both in a federal state called Baden-Würtemberg, whileVilseck is in the North of Bavaria and strangely enough it is also 220 kms to München.
  • Auraonfire
    Options
    you'll be able to get horse there, it's delicious!

Omg haha, what's it taste like (are you serious?)
  • Auraonfire
    Options

I am from the Black Forest and just would like to point out that from there to Stuttgart 220kms, which I believe is about 140 miles. Of course on the Autobahn it is a quick 220 kms, but still worthwhile pointing out that Stuttgart and the Black Forest are not close. But either area is nice. Stuttgart is a bit more urban with a good connection to München and Austria as well as to the North. The Black Forest is more quaint, but with lots of skiing in winter, lots of sight seeing in summer and within minutes of the French border and very close to Switzerland. I am from a place called Gengenbach ( worthwhile googling ) and from there it's 15 minutes to Strasbourg and 25 to Basel....:o).

Honestly I cannot remember the name of the village! But his mom has all these steins from Stuttgart, and my husband says you can see the Black Forest right outside his Opas house. I obviously have a great deal to learn about where is what in Germany. :)
  • GreatDepression
    Options
    Aura is such a typical American. She thought the Black Forest is right by Stuttgart (it's not).

So peinlich. Äh.
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    In for later
  • Ang108
    Options
    Aura is such a typical American. She thought the Black Forest is right by Stuttgart (it's not).

So peinlich. Äh.

I don't think it's necessarily peinlich, because one cannot know everything about a country, especially a foreign country. I just happen to know because Baden-Württemberg is my home state. I could not make statements about other states, because I don't know them. I just thought it would be interesting to know for the OP that they are not close together.
  • Ang108
    Options
    GMO isn't unhealthy.

Traditional German food is very high fat (cheese, meat) and high carb (bread) so that can be a recipe for disaster if you don't control your portions. You'll find that the locals tend to eat small portions of these and restaurant/cafe/bakery portions are all smaller than in the US while costing more. However, like in any developed western nation, you can buy fresh produce and food at the grocery stores to make whatever you want. The average German grocery store is not huge and inclusive like American supermarkets but you can probably find whatever you want except for Mexican seasonings which are I know are popular with many Americans.

Also, every city and town has farmer market areas where you can buy fresh, good-tasting fruit and vegetables. These aren't that cheap compared to Walmart but they taste really good (and also spoil quickly).

The markets in Germany are great and operate year around, but there is also Walmart and Sam's club apart from German super market chains., US army people have the choice of shopping at the commissary, there is Ikea, plus of course Aldi in every town, since it is originally German. I don't think it is difficult at all for someone to eat a mainstream US diet, if that is what they chose to eat. I think for most foreigners it is much more difficult to get used to the fact that stores close at 6 pm and do not open on Sundays. That is more difficult than finding adequate food.
  • Ang108
    Options

Honestly I cannot remember the name of the village! But his mom has all these steins from Stuttgart, and my husband says you can see the Black Forest right outside his Opas house. I obviously have a great deal to learn about where is what in Germany. :)

I don't doubt for a second that one can see the Black Forest from the grandfather's home.....but to do so you have to live within a very few kms. Seeing the Black Forest from Stuttgart would be like seeing Chicago from Madison/Wisconsin......:o).
    Yes, you will have to learn a lot of new stuff, but I hope you will enjoy each and every day. Since I left Germany I have lived in 16 different countries and really enjoyed most of it.....the packing and international moves not so much.....:o).
    Good Luck .....I am certain that once you adjust a little bit, you will be fine !
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Will you be doing most of your own cooking, or relying on restaurants?

You'll be able to find lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, meats and fish, and a fantastic range of cheese. The breads and pastries are marvellous, just watch your portion control. You'll find more owner-run restuarants than chains.
  • CoffeeCtrled
    Options
    I don't know how Greek restaurants in the states are, but here in Germany there are usually huge amounts of mixed grilled meat along with fries or rice (or even both) and a bit salad decoration. That's not traditionally Greek food, more like people might imagine Greek food :)

Basically the "Balkan" part of the meal card that many restaurants have with more feta and possibly metaxa sauce.
    Of course there's usually also something like moussaka.

I can also tell you, nobody I know only eats traditional German food. What stands for German food outside of Germany, is actually mostly Bavarian. In other regions there's other typical stuff. Unfortunately, that would be "Currywurst" in my region (Ruhr area)^^
    I think, we are quite influenced by all the other countries around us and everyday life cooking is often shameless cross cooking. There is much variation. As healthy or unhealthy as one likes.
    Bread and bread rolls might be a whole new world though, from what I heard. But that could also just be a stereotype, as I never lived in another country.