Any other moms?

Options
I love this site, but I feel like the only people I see have so much more time then I do! Between work (currently looking for a job, but it takes time!), my husbands crazy schedule, spending time with my kids, taking care of the house... working out is last on a long list of must do's every day.

I get a little discouraged seeing so many people who workout for a full hour or more a day and are burning massive calories. It's great for them! But rough for me!

Anyone else with me in this one??

Replies

• sandeeface518
    sandeeface518 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    im right there with you, i have no clue how to find the time to work out for an hour each day.
  • tara3103
    tara3103 Posts: 107
    Options
    I am a mom of 2 (ages 3 and 6), I work 45-50 hrs a week and my husband works around 60-70 hrs a week! We are very busy, but I get in a least 4-5 days of exercise a week. I use the YMCA so my kids can play in the daycare center or on days when they don't want to go, I have a few dvd's to use at home. I always use 30 day shred, zumba or Just Dance on the wii. Its hard to get them in or keep your kids on a schedule, but it will be worth it once they have their mother back! My kids join in the dancing and zumba and I usually multi task while doing it, such as over pre heating, dinner cooking. I try to do about 30 min at home and when using the Y, I go for 90 min. It takes time to set a routine, but once you get it, it will be all worth it! Good Luck!
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I have a full plate myself (I have 3 kids....one with PDD-NOS. Plus my DH travels a lot, blah) but I'm on the top of my priority list....your health and well being is just as important as your family's, if not more since as a mom, we are the top caregivers. I'm not saying ignore the kids but the house can wait at least 30 minutes ;)
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I feel like this site is only filled with moms haha. You'll definitely find a TON of people here who are in the same boat as you.
  • Franhall06
    Options
    Right there with you! I work a full time job, juggle kids, church and trying to sleep! It's been easiest for me to get my exercise in by walking during my 2 work breaks and then on the weekends I literally just jog in place for about a half hour or so. (No room or money for a treadmill, haha) I've even had my 4 year old 'race' me. Do what you can! It will be pay off!
  • nthnswmn
    Options
    I'm a mom of three (ages 7,5,3). Right now I'm working in the Shred workout when the kids go down for nap/quiet time. Last year I went through a time when I made myself get up an hour before everyone else so I'd have time to workout.
    Jillian Michaels shred dvd is great for me because it's only 20 minutes. Today i even got in 10 minutes of step immediately afterwards because my kids were still asleep.
    Work around how YOUR family works, and don't bother comparing yourself to others with different responsibilities and time tables.
    You can do it!
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I use nap time or tv time as my work out time. On weekends, my husband watches my toddler for an hour so I can work out. The only reason I let my kid watch tv at all actually is so I can workout. lol.

Its not easy. On those days that things don't go as planned, I have to just get over it. But I actually put work outs before chores on my list of priorities. I believe that my health is priority no 1. If I'm sick, whose going to care for my kid????
  • Schuky01
    Schuky01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am a mom of one and I am able to work out 4-5 times a week, however I have to do it later at night once my son goes to sleep. Instead of watching tv at night I workoiut at home or at the gym. I usually can't even do this until around 8 or 8:30 at night
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Options
    I also do the 30 day shred. The great thing about that program is that it is only 20 minutes!!!... but is still a great work out.
  • mjcrothers
    mjcrothers Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey. I am a new mum with 8month old daughter. I am not working and hope to not have to. Even though I only have one child at the moment it is certainly a new lifestyle and has new challenges! I try to go for a walk in the morning with Megan around 6.30am after I have fed the baby. It is a great time of day. My husband and I get up around 5:45am everyday. (He has to leave for work around 6:15). I find that when I go for a walk in the mornings like this I feel really motivated and energised to have a good day. Then when Megan is sooky in the late afternoon (around 4pm) we try to go for another walk. Its a good distraction for her and keeps me sane.
    I also count large household chores, like vacumming the house, as exercise. I do weight lifting using Megan (she's 6kg). I figure as she grows so does my weight traning!

I just try to do incidental exercise everyday. Park further away at the supermarket so you have to walk. Take the stairs.
    There is no way I would be able to get to a gym.

All the best. I hope this helped.
  • jlsironen
    jlsironen Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    YES! you are not alone! I only have one child and never seem to have enough time! It's so hard, especially if you have a spouse who eats every junkfood known to man and never gains anything grrrrrrr. So much temptation in my house.
    I like the reply of nthnswmn, she is so very very right. It's hard to find what timeschedule and routine works for you but early morning (even though it's rough) is sometimes best.
    Even if you do three rounds of squats, sit ups and push ups it's so much more than not having time for anything! (just make sure you know how to squat correctly) ;)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDdSZmWNYQI
  • Sociallysavvyva
    Sociallysavvyva Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have a seven year old, a full-time job that requires 50+ hours a week and I run two other businesses so I TRULY understand. While it's hard most of the time, I get up early before everyone's day starts and get my workout in. I am currently doing my second round of Insanity. My husband is a great support for me and helps by getting up to do the workout with me as well. What has also helped is prepping clothes, lunches, etc the night before so I don't have to worry about it in the morning. I also made a commitment to myself to get in shape for me so that I'll be happy with how I look and the plus is that it helps me feel great!
  • chazspk
    chazspk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Soooooooooo with you and if i do by chance get 30 mins at night i am to TIRED...Like now haha...
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    You hang in there. I was a single mom for many years and let me tell you that I so understand the time issue. I will tell you what my bff once told me. When you take alittle time for yourself ( and you so deserve it) it makes giving time to your family so much more easy to enjoy! Good luck!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I do kettel bell/free weights or calisthenics during T.V. commercials,you can do 5 minutes of yoga before bed or wake up an hour early to do a workout video before you make your family breakfast. You are important! You have to be in top shape to do everything on your list. You deserve an hour to yourself to recouperate and recharge for all that you do!
    Good luck and remember,a baby step is a step in the right direction.
  • sas16
    sas16 Posts: 610
    Options
    What about working out early in the morning? I know it's hard to get up sometimes. There are days I don't feel like getting up, but I force myself to. Once my workout is done, I feel much better. My daughter is 2 and doesn't really nap anymore so it's a long day once she's awake. So I get up @ 5am to get my workout in. If I don't do it then, it doesn't get done.

Like you, I'm looking for a job. Lost my job last year and still haven't found another one yet. That is pretty stressful as I'm a single mom and had to move in w/my dad because I couldn't afford rent on my unemployment. I also think of my workouts as my "me" time. It makes me feel better. It helps relieve some of the stress and frustration.

Maybe if you look at it as a way to relieve stress, or as your "me" time...you might commit. It's a change in mindset. And trust me, when I first started my journey working out was more of a chore. But I changed the way I think about it. Now, I hate missing a workout!

Not sure if that really helps...but I really hope you find the motivation and time you need.
  • ItsAmbergirl18
    Options
    I posted this on my daughter's profile by accident and can't find the Delete Posts option.
  • lovesyoga7154
    Options
    Hey there!
    There are so many of us in exactly the same boat. My son just turned 2 and my husband is in the Navy, so everything EXCEPT me gets to monopolize my time. The biggest hurdle that I over came was being able to see my son not as someone else monopolizing my time and preventing me from working out but rather as the ultimate workout buddy. It sounds really cliche but a workout doesn't have to be in the gym. Run around and play with your kids for a half hour, if they are really little try carrying them in a bjorn, or wrap or throw your toddler up on your shoulders when you are out and about instead of putting them in the stroller, you'd be amazed how many calories you burn carrying a 30lb 2yr old around for an hour or 2. When you can squeeze in the time to luxuriate in a full hour gym workout TAKE IT and enjoy it, it is your time for you and no one else, but when you can't squeeze in that time, all the little things like parking at the far end of the parking lot or taking the stairs instead of the elevator or escalator, they all add up...it's not a conventional 'workout' but it's keeping your body moving that burns calories, not where you are when you are moving it :) Good Luck!!!
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I am mom to 4 kids 18 months, 4, 7, and 9. My husband works overnights so I have very little help from him. I also work 3 days a week out side of the home and I milk cows 7 days a week. I do a majority of my workouts during the day on my lunch break. I am lucky enough to have a gym at my place of employment. I can get 45 mins of cardio in during lunch. Monday's my hubby is able to get the kids up and out the door to school so I hit the gym at 5:00 am and then I also hit the gym on one of my days off, these are the days I do my strength training. When it is nice outside I take the kids for walks wioth me. I bring their bikes and let them ride and I walk, that way we all get exercise. In the summer we do lots of hikes, swimming, softball, etc.. together as a family. That way I am getting my workouts in and spending time with the kids at the same time. I am considering getting Jillian Micahels 30 day shred to do after I put the kids to bed at night. For me it is all about time management and making things fit into our already busy schedule.
  • Jesca514
    Jesca514 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You guys are great. This is really what I needed to hear. Just knowing someone else is working through the same problems make its easier!

As for everyone saying morning... I was doing the morning thing... and then my husbands schedule changed... he works nights now and the only time we really get to cuddle and have a few moments to ourselves are the little bit of time between when he gets home and the kids wake up... and that time with him is vital to my mental stability!! :)

I'll figure this out though... I am determined! I've been trying to sqeeze in a minute of something here and there all day today.