I need help with appropriately portioned dinnerware

Options
Disciplined74
Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
I am on a rampage today. And the whole house is paying for it.

I woke up this morning to find my son (9 years old and more than 200 pounds) eating cereal out of a storage bowl. One that was WAY too big for a bowl of cereal.

Although I didn't say anything, inside you would have thought that I walked in on him doing drugs. All kinds of alarm bells went off. This is EXACTLY why our whole house is overweight. I've been trying to make this just a me problem thinking that my good example would be good enough for the whole house. Well apparently my good example isn't shining so bright so ...

I HID ALL THE DISHES.

ALL of the storage bowls are in the garage. Also the large dinner plates and bowls that are part of that set. The cups are the size of what I consider a soup cup and are what a bowl should be so the cups are on the shelf and labeled bowls. We are using 8 oz glasses as cups, the soup sized cups are nowthe bowls, and the small dinner plate is now the only option to eat off of.

I went to the store to find some appropriate sized dinnerware but EVERYTHING is oversized. My appropriately sized "dish" options were the little toddler sets in Spiderman and Dora and disposible wear.

What do you do at your house? Do you have portion controled dinnerware? And if so, where did you get it? How do you portion control you household? Any suggestions on options of appropriately portioned dinnerware?

Replies

• sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    We eat our meals off of salad plates. I also don't put the serving dishes on the table. We only drink water with dinner. Hope these little things help.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: You are so funny!

On the serious side though, I have salad plates that I got at Bed, Bath and Beyond. They are a clear floral design. They have matching cups and regular size plates and cereal size bowls as well. They're not sold as a set, you buy them by the piece. Good luck to you. :flowerforyou:

I don't mean to offend you, it just came across of funny to me as I was reading your post. :flowerforyou:
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I now that you are serious, but that is hysterical! I think that your response was toally rational! I was saw a segment on Martha Stewart about how the size of the dinner plate has steadily increased since the 60's and so has the size of Americans. I bought a set of plates at Pottery Barn and had to return them because they did not fit in the cabinet! I usually do use the salad plates, unless I am using the extra room on the big plates for veggies. Good for you for taking charge and taking care of your family!
  • musicjunkie1982
    Options
    I go to WalMart in the baby/toddler section and buy the sectional plates. The large space is the veggies, the medium space is the meat (if any), and the small section is or sauce or dressing (dipping stuff). For example, a typical dinner for me is steamed veggies (large), a packet of tuna (medium), and a tbsp or two of italian dressing to dip the tuna in (small).

I don't care if it has Dora on it because who's going to know?

Now when I have company for dinner, I'll use the regular plates, but I'll use only the middle of a dinner plate, so it's about the size of a salad plate.

Good luck!
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I go to WalMart in the baby/toddler section and buy the sectional plates. The large space is the veggies, the medium space is the meat (if any), and the small section is or sauce or dressing (dipping stuff). For example, a typical dinner for me is steamed veggies (large), a packet of tuna (medium), and a tbsp or two of italian dressing to dip the tuna in (small).

I don't care if it has Dora on it because who's going to know?

Now when I have company for dinner, I'll use the regular plates, but I'll use only the middle of a dinner plate, so it's about the size of a salad plate.

Good luck!

OMG! YES! Someone else who does that. LOL
    I found some plain ones at the $1 Tree and sometimes Dollar General has them. We have my fiances daughter on the weekends and we all eat out of them!
  • musicjunkie1982
    Options
    Before I started working out, the dinner plates were the first thing to "go", and I dropped a good deal of weight just by making that small change. Now, granted, I do cheat and use the large space for spaghetti when I choose to make it, but it's not often.

Nice to know I'm not alone! :smile:
  • dmags
    dmags Posts: 303
    Options
    Just curious... what did you decide to do? How did your family respond to the mysterious missing storage containers?