Am I supposed to eat all my allotment of calories?

Options
I allow myself 1622 calories per day. I log absolutely everything. Yesterday for example, I did a step class.....zumba then cardio for 40 mins. The exercise gave me an extra 1746, so my total allotment for the day was 3368. I ate 1287 and was stuffed, as they were well chosen foods. I had a left over 2081.............am I supposed to consume all my calories for the day (i.e.3368)?

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    ahh, how did you calculate the exercise?
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Most of us consume 1/3 to 1/2 of our workout calories. But you should try to eat at least the minimum number of calories you have allotted for the day (not counting exercise) and don't make a plan to not count the exercise calories. There are plenty of ways to get calories in and I would make sure to plan your day so you hit that 1622, plus some of your exercise calories. Take advantage of it! Food is good!
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    I would just go with the 1600......don't eat back the calories burned
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    That's an extremely high calorie count for 40 minutes.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I would just go with the 1600......don't eat back the calories burned

that's not how it [MFP] is designed though. Just do it how it's meant to be done for Pete's sake!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

yah ha. I concur...

if you are not hungry, don't force it. Your exercise calculation seems super high.
  • salty2012
    salty2012 Posts: 7
    Options
    i take the number of calories for excercise fro MFP...... I did re-check it via google and it was not far out.....zumba alone is 500 odd calories for 45 mins.......
  • salty2012
    Options
    just looked it up.....zumba for 60mins is 778..............Step for 45 min is 564.......Cardio Class for 40 mins 413. That is a total of 1755........

Thanks you guys for your input....
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

I think the OP did zumba THEN an extra 40 minutes. Even so, 1700+ calories from exercise is quite some feat.

I eat a small amount of my exercise calories back (like 200cals), but I don't see the point in pushing myself to then undo all of that hard work by eating them all back. You should at least be eating your minimum net calories MFP gives you though.
  • salty2012
    Options
    thanks, that sounds very wise.......if i ate all those exercise calories I truly would be a size of a house, since I gain weight really easy.....