How to enter uphill biking

Options
So they have many speeds for biking but what about going uphill? It tells me I burn 450 and hour by biking 12-14 MPH but you have to burn a lot more going up hill at the same speed. It should also depend on the gear your bike it in too. And also the terrain.
My fitness pal gives poor choices when it comes to biking.

Replies

• StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Wear a heart rate monitor. MFP is notorious for overestimating exercise burns, biking included!
  • kmvz
    kmvz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Do you somehow live somewhere where you can bike only uphill? Usually you have to come back down, and you're doing basically no work at that point. I'd definitely agree with Amandastan -- even though a HRM will only be an estimate, it will be a lot closer than the MFP entries.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    So they have many speeds for biking but what about going uphill? It tells me I burn 450 and hour by biking 12-14 MPH but you have to burn a lot more going up hill at the same speed. It should also depend on the gear your bike it in too. And also the terrain.
    My fitness pal gives poor choices when it comes to biking.

Heart Rate Monitor and or a Power Meter along with a good app to track will be more accurate. Think about how difficult technical singletrack mountain biking is at altitude and going up and down mountains where one's average speed will be below 10 mph. MFP will report that as a lame casual ride with few calories burned, but with the proper gear (HR/PM) one can upload the file to MFP for the "real" calorie burn.