Why am i gaining weight :(

I'm a 5 foot 3 inches female weighing 132-133.
About 2 weeks ago I weighed 128. I feel like crying because I have no idea why I am gaining weight.
I go to the gym about 6 times a week. I have one rest day on Sunday!
I do cardio for about 45 min like on the treadmill or the elliptical and sometimes I lift weight but when I do its like 25 pound and I do that for like 5 min. I don't want to lift much because I heard that lifting gets you more muscle with cause weight gain and that is not what I want which is why i'm freaking about because I gained about 5 pounds. Can someone please explain to me why I gained so much weight in a short period of time.
My diet consist of about 1300-1500 calories

Breakfast I usually eat yogurt with some oatmeal or I would make a protein shake. or a green smoothie.
Lunch I will have like a piece of fruit and some protein source but lately it has been salad. When I eat my salad I eat it with tomato and onion so I get a lot of vegetables
Dinner I would eat a vegetable with a protein like skinless chicken or charbroiled chicken.
Someone plezse help me I am freaking out Also my inches stayed the same so im not gaining inches just weight and it make sm ewant to cry everyday I don'tknow what to do if I should just stop eating all together or what. I'm so confused and everyone I talk to they don't know either so that's make sme even more confused. I hope someone can help me with explain why I am gaingin so much weight in a short period of time. :(

EDIT!
I have been exercising about 5 months now. Before I was losing but now i'm not. And I cleaned up my eating since then.
I go my thyroid check and everything was normal I don't have diabetes or anything to be concerned off. And sorry about clogging the forum. I'm new to posting.

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    first, only post a topic once, it clogs up the forums and is against the guidelines
    if you are just starting to exercise this is probably water weight, happens to everyone when first starting out, give it a couple more weeks
    also, how do you measure your food? barring medical issues like thyroid complications or diabetes an excess of calories will be the only thing making you gain weight
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    First I would say relax, its only 5 pounds.

Secondly, lifting weights isn't going to make you she-hulk overnight and not without external testosterone sources anyway. Lifting weights will make you gain weight yes, but its muscle weight that will also increase your metabolism and burn more fat.

Finally, it could just be water weight if this is a new regime.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

This is what power lifting, eating 3000-4000 calories, and adding 20 lbs can do to a women. What do you think will happen in a deficit? You will just become lean. In fact, you should be concentrating on lifting and a little less on cardio. Lifting helps with muscle retention and helps maintain metabolic functions. Second, like other said, if you are new to exercise, it's water retention. Give stuff like 4-6 weeks to determine if it's failing or not. Also, can you open your food diary so we can evaluate it for consistency and accuracy? And do you use a food scale?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Weight fluctuates.
  • RaychelLouderback93
    RaychelLouderback93 Posts: 4 Member
    My diary is open :)
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Don't panic your weight gives you a BMI of approx 23.5..

Weight fluctuates for many reasons and if you have been eating to deficit or maintenance it is unlikely you are gaining fat. It is likely to be fluid retention, could be hormonal perhaps?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    My diary is open :)

No it isn't or perhaps it is only open to those on your friend list?
  • stephanieross1
    stephanieross1 Posts: 388 Member
    Your diary isnt open and when it was you were eating less than 1100 at most.
    With the amount of calories put in and the amount of exercise youre doing. Cycle class. Elliptical and biking, and then back to the gym in one day, i dont know why it baffles you that you are gaining. You arent giving your body the energy it needs so it holds on. You need a lifestyle change or you will really jeoperdize youre health and life. (Some of your posts are suicidal because you gained 2 lbs or belly fat).

You need to love your body and start treating your body with love. Nourish it, you will have that body for the rest of your life. If you dont start loving it, what about five years down he road? Will this be your life struggle?
  • SydneyRenee2
    SydneyRenee2 Posts: 49 Member
    Great reply, I completely agree! A lot of people don't realize that they do have to eat when trying to lose and to not think of it as a diet but rather a lifestyle. You have to eat in a way that you will be happy with for the rest of your life. Eat good fats, lean meats (cutting out red is a good idea), eat TONS of veggies/fruits, & drink half your body weight in ounce of water.

The other post above where the person mentioned that if you're new to exercise, your body will retain water is true as well. It freaked me out in the beginning too. Just keep drinking tons of water. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Water retention and your diary is NOT open.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    I'm also 5'3" but I weigh a little more than you - about 135 pounds. Lifting weights has been my new hobby and will NOT make you bulky. I do very little cardio. It changes the shape of your body and will make you less "squishy" and you'll be more firm and have a better look overall. You won't necessarily lose weight while you do it - but really, as many people on here will tell you, the number on the scale does not tell the whole story so you should try to get out of that mindset. Weight can fluctuate day to day for a number of reasons. Progress can be seen in many other ways - like how you look and how you feel. Do not be afraid to lift weights! Also, you may be overestimating your calorie intake which is causing you to gain.

<- Edit: I am 135 lbs in both of these pictures. Thank you weight lifting ;)
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Your weight fluctuates so much, Its probably water weight.

I wouldn't even stress about it.

Log properly

Keep working out

Drink lots of water

Weigh once a week........ : )

Don't stress girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    I'm also 5'3" but I weigh a little more than you - about 135 pounds. Lifting weights has been my new hobby and will NOT make you bulky. I do very little cardio. It changes the shape of your body and will make you less "squishy" and you'll be more firm and have a better look overall. You won't necessarily lose weight while you do it - but really, as many people on here will tell you, the number on the scale does not tell the whole story so you should try to get out of that mindset. Weight can fluctuate day to day for a number of reasons. Progress can be seen in many other ways - like how you look and how you feel. Do not be afraid to lift weights! Also, you may be overestimating your calorie intake which is causing you to gain.

There you go ^^^^^ She said it!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

That's awesome - great results!
  • tjmayberry
    tjmayberry Posts: 1 Member
    I am 5'4.5", 40 yrs old. At the end of April, I weighed 156. Today, I weigh 140, and am still losing. I lost the weight without crazy exercising, restrictive dieting (I did measure caloric intake using MFP), and definitely no supplements. I used the Venus Program by John Barban. I have tried many diets, pills. I have spent many hours doing cardio (half marathons, 10-milers, etc.) I also am an Active Duty Army Officer and workout regulary.

This program does not require hours at the gym, in fact, it discourages lots of cardio. (Statistically, people tend to eat more after long cardio sessions) I really really recommend every woman to at least look into the program. It was worth the small fee (~$60) to join the site. It's all digital/on-line. There is a work out program (fun, can do it at home, short) meal plans, and a very cool virtual nutritionist that tells you how many calories you should be eating. I hope you will look into it. It made all the difference in my life. Good luck!!
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    You can't gain muscle on a deficit, nor can you gain actual weight. What you have is probably extra water weight or glycogen. Your muscles need to heal and sometimes our weight fluctuates due to this process. Everyone's weight fluctuates on average between 5-10lbs from the beginning of the day to the end of the day and is not always consistent. Don't freak out over gaining 5lbs, please, and don't let it scare you away from lifting some weights.

Weight lifting is extremely important to our health, especially as women. It can help prevent osteoporosis, keeps us strong, improves circulation, and has the added bonus of making our bodies look slimmer. It will not make you bulky in any sense of the word, unless you are eating a high surplus of calories over your BMR - and you'd have to be lifting a hell of a lot more than 25lbs.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    You can't gain muscle on a deficit...
    There are circumstances in which you can. It doesn't generally happen, though.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Because you're 21 and hyper aware of your weight due to youth induced narcissism? Probably just water fluctuations. Calm down.

Yup. This^^

You're skinny, deal with it.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    You can't gain muscle on a deficit...
    There are circumstances in which you can. It doesn't generally happen, though.

It's negligible and is usually only known to happen in people who are very overweight and / or have never done any real strength training before or in the recent past.