Help me spice up my lunch wrap?

Options
I tend to get into a rut with what I eat for lunch. This week I'm trying to change it up by making myself a wrap for lunch. This is what I'm trying:

-a Tumaro Garden Veggie Tortilla (100 calories)
-2 TBS hummus (60 calories)
-lettuce, red onion, red pepper, artichoke hearts, tomato, and fresh basil leaves (25 calories)
-roughly 1/4 of a chicken breast, shredded, and mixed with about 1 TBS of tzatziki (75 calories)
-very light sprinkling of salt to bring out flavor

Calorie Total: 260

The wrap is OK. But it's just not doing it for me. It looks so tasty and I'm always slightly disappointed when I take a bite. Any ideas on how I could improve it? I'm trying to keep it under 350 calories. (I eat other stuff at lunch that I don't want to cut out for calorie sake.)

Replies

• lmvolk
    lmvolk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Pepper?
  • lmvolk
    lmvolk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Seriously, that sounds delish...:flowerforyou:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I would use sun dried tomatoes instead of fresh. They have tons of flavor!
  • MoonbeamMcLain
    MoonbeamMcLain Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like to saute broccoli slaw, with tiny bit of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, salt/pepper and put it on a whole wheat wrap. Sometimes I add tomatoes.
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion, guys. :)

MoonbeamHanks, how do you think that would hold up if I sauteed it in the morning and then packed it for lunch? I don't usually eat lunch until 2 PM. Do you think it would go soggy by then?
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Maybe season the chicken and grill/bake it instead of shredding and then add peppers for more of a "fajita" wrap? Or find some tandori paste and marinade the chicken in that and some yogurt before baking it. Tandori with hummus, spinach, and some other veggies or even strawberries?

Now I'm hungry... :)
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    any of the following might be yummy!

- some acid: a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, or a squeeze of lemon juice.

- add something in to amp up the texture, like chopped pistachios or sesame seeds

- mince a bit of garlic (careful- deadly)

- hot sauce

- sauteed mushrooms or zucchini

- some good mustard
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    have you tried spicy hummus?
  • Tinkaboo
    Options
    I buy a large selection of spices from the supermarket and add them to almost anything to give things more flavour with hardly any calories! My favourite is schwatz's piri piri one! It's 12 calories a serving and is sooo good!
    XxX
  • mhowe86
    mhowe86 Posts: 37
    Options
    Try a spicy honey mustard! I love it in my wraps. Gives it a little zing and more flavor. I also sometimes use the laughing cow cheeses as a spread b/c they are only about 35 cal for a whole wedge and they taste great!
  • Tinkaboo
    Options
    I buy a large selection of spices from the supermarket and add them to almost anything to give things more flavour with hardly any calories! My favourite is schwatz's piri piri one! It's 12 calories a serving and is sooo good!
    XxX

Forgot to say... I also like sprinkling the spices on the chicken before cooking it as it give the chicken a completely different flavour!
    XxX
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    XxX

That's what I would suggest. Try different spices. My favorite spices are oregano, garlic, chili powder, rosemary, and cayenne pepper. Experiment to find what you like. If you're not used to using spices, buy a fully-stocked spice rack and just try them out. Mrs. Dash makes a wide variety of salt-free spice mixtures, if you're trying to watch your salt intake. You can also add things like lemon juice to add a little flavor.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Slice up a couple of birds-eye chillies - adds colour, vit c and plenty of spice :-)
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    If you decide to heat up or saute whatever you are gonna put in your wrap, place it in a separate container to heat up and keep your tortilla or wrap separate. Put it all together when you are ready to eat so that it won't get soggy.
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    Maybe switch out the Chicken for Tuna or shrimp.

Add some Avacado or maybe some Light Ranch Dressing or Red Wine Vinegar
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    Oh man. All of these suggestions sound great. I'm going to try them all.