Motivation Needed - Help!

Options
Hey guys,

So this is my first time starting a topic in here so...

I've just been having a really hard time here lately and I'm wondering if there's anybody else on here that struggles with these issues like I do. I know everybody has a cheat day or days every once in a while, but with me, those are becoming a problem. Whenever I do have cheat days, I can't seem to get off those days, if that makes any sense. It's like having them makes me fall off the weight loss band wagon and I can't seem to get back on without completely quitting for a while and starting over (I'm trying not to this time). Something else that comes into play with this is my depression (posting like this is a way for me to get my feelings out and get more support) and it causes me to emotionally eat as well. I'm trying to keep going and change my habits, but the old bad ones just keep coming back to haunt me and make me think everything I've done so far is worth nothing. Anybody else experience this or have any advice to combat either or both things? Also, feel free to add me, I could always use more friends and support.

Replies

• rlv20
    rlv20 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    One of the things that helps me (and I just did a few minutes ago) is planning out all of my food first thing in the morning. I'm in sales and travel all day in my car - if I don't have a plan it's WAY too easy to just stop and pick up something super unhealthy. Planning it all out in the morning gives me a sense of purpose and control. It also helps me accommodate "fun" later in my day. I know I'm going to my boyfriend's house tonight to cook out and watch the baseball game, and I know I'm going to want a couple glasses of wine - so I've already planned 10oz of wine into my day and adjusted my breakfast to make room for it.

I went a little crazy last night at sushi happy hour with one of my girlfriends and totally ruined all my hard work earlier in the day because I didn't plan. This morning it's just time to get back on the bandwagon and get back to it. Don't beat yourself up - it won't do you any good. Just reset your goals mentally and move on!
  • TimeTravelingBunny
    Options
    I'm both an emotional eater and an all-or-nothing person when it comes to food. If I get a bag of chips, there is a high probability that I'll eat the whole thing in a day or two. Especially since I get the mindset of "Oh, I'll eat it today so I don't have to worry about it tomorrow!" So I have to use self control and prevent myself from buying something unhealthy that I know I won't be able to control myself on. I also don't plan cheat days at this point. I can't handle it if I know one is coming up! But, if something special arises (a friend wants to go to lunch) I'll give myself that. :)

Also, I agree with the previous poser about planning ahead. It helps tremendously!
  • mowbry
    mowbry Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree with Robin above, plan your meals and plan when you go out to allow for wine etc. I also look at the restaurants menu online to pick a health low calorie meal. I have stopped having cheat days as I feel I put too much back on and one trainer said that they do not believe in cheat days just perhaps and extra 300 to 400 calories of something you fancy on a Sunday or Saturday. Some people on here work out extra hard to account for the extra calories they want. Calories in vs Calories out.

I will be happy to be your friend and you can look at my food diary too but keep yours open for friends to check in.
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    I cant see the point in cheat days. I just eat what I want as long as its within the calories allowed ie. I can still have biscuits, crisps, chocolate. But I have found I'm eating healthier since I've been watching what I eat.
  • kms22188
    kms22188 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean by once you have a "bad" day, you just let the rest of them go as well. I really have to make it a mental thing for me. I ask myself "Have I had this before? Do I really need it again? Will it make me regret it after? Can I hold off and/or replace it with something better? Do I really need this much of it?" I have a HUGE sweet tooth. I've been trying to fix that with fruit instead of chocolate. Most days it works, but maybe once or twice a week I'll indulge in a little treat. I started by cutting out nearly all soda and juice - way too much sugar for little benefit. I've had cake, brownies, cookies, etc...I tell myself I already know what they taste like, and eating more of it will not help me get any closer to my goal. I then started working on correct portion sizes. It's difficult and takes time. Sometimes I'm still hungry after. I just try to pack healthier snacks, and make as much of my own food as possible. But just like Robin below - don't beat yourself up. The more you tell yourself you have a goal, and ask yourself if what you're about to eat helps you achieve it or pushes you away from it, it becomes a lot easier!
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I cant see the point in cheat days. I just eat what I want as long as its within the calories allowed ie. I can still have biscuits, crisps, chocolate. But I have found I'm eating healthier since I've been watching what I eat.

^^^^^This totally. If I want something I am craving, I don't deny myself, I just make sure it fits into my calories/macros for the day.
  • jenbikeswim
    Options
    Planning meals is key for me as well. That way, it's easier to stay on the budget. For example, it's my husband's turn to cook dinner tonight, so dinner may be a wild card today.

It's difficult to walk away, especially when you're hungry. I'm training for a triathlon, and my "rest days" (non training days) often fall after a weekend of long workouts where I never quite consume my calorie deficit. So I'm hungry as can be on my rest days, but I'm not allowed to eat. It's difficult to fight through it. You just have to be strong and realize that it takes a while to reprogram yourself.

I've read that it takes 21 days to make a habit. See if you can go 21 days without cheating. If you can do that, you will make your goal.
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem my cheat days tend to become cheat weeks ¬_¬. I suffer from depression and borderline personality disorder and i also eat when i'm bored or upset. The best way i've found it trying to find something i enjoy or even something i don't but is exercise like cleaning or laundry. It takes my mind off other things. Also maybe do something like set yourself a task for the day and work towards it. Like clean a room, do the dishes etc. I don't know how your depression effects your everyday life as you haven't said but i know a lot of people struggle even getting out of bed (i know i do). I'll add you once i posted this and feel free to message me if you ever want someone to talk to, i'm pretty much online 24/7 as i don't really sleep much ^_^ x
  • merlinstroubadour
    merlinstroubadour Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I think you need to work out what it is that makes you cheat.

Do you cheat because you cannot be alienated from the eating habits of the rest of the family for too long because it causes friction?

Do you cheat because certain foods scream to be eaten (With me it is the smell of bacon cooking, or the thought of cheese on toast)?

Do you cheat because you work an anti-social shift pattern? I work nights, and at 2am there is part of me could pump the canteen chocolate machine with all the spare change I can find.

If you can find out what makes you cheat then you can work out a positive course of action to fight back, rather than feel overwhelmed by an inevitable tsunami of pressure.

I think motivation does not come from losing weight. Motivation is more about what made you want to lose weight in the first place. I am planning a visit to family next February/March, and want to be fitter and healthier in time to travel and meet them. This means I have a long term goal I can stick to, and so the minor day to day vicissitudes do not carry as much weight as they would if I only saw things day to day. If you can keep on the long term target, then things do not feel as stressful. In such cases the odd bad day does not matter, and weight-loss achieved is not so much a motivation as a short term gift to remind you the effort is worth it.

I hope this is helpful. Never forget that you are not alone.
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean by once you have a "bad" day, you just let the rest of them go as well. I really have to make it a mental thing for me. I ask myself "Have I had this before? Do I really need it again? Will it make me regret it after? Can I hold off and/or replace it with something better? Do I really need this much of it?" I have a HUGE sweet tooth. I've been trying to fix that with fruit instead of chocolate. Most days it works, but maybe once or twice a week I'll indulge in a little treat. I started by cutting out nearly all soda and juice - way too much sugar for little benefit. I've had cake, brownies, cookies, etc...I tell myself I already know what they taste like, and eating more of it will not help me get any closer to my goal. I then started working on correct portion sizes. It's difficult and takes time. Sometimes I'm still hungry after. I just try to pack healthier snacks, and make as much of my own food as possible. But just like Robin below - don't beat yourself up. The more you tell yourself you have a goal, and ask yourself if what you're about to eat helps you achieve it or pushes you away from it, it becomes a lot easier!

This works for me as well. When I fall off the wagon I make sure I jump back on as soon as possible.:happy:
  • silverstarrlyte
    silverstarrlyte Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just try to eat the best that I can. I try to plan meals, but life has a way of getting in the way of those plans. I don't do cheat days anymore as I cant differentiate and then do like you said on and on for days. So I just log what I consume, and try to make good choices. I went out Saturday and consumed several alcoholic beverages. So I picked lighter versions, and ate a salad with my hotwings, and consumed the carrots and celery - and only ate half the amount of wings since I ate the salad and veggies. It was still calorie dense, but the better choices made it less of a hit...
  • YallaEsma1
    YallaEsma1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with planning your meals. Tonight is movie Tuesday here in my town, and my hubby and I are going for dinner and a movie. I have already entered my dinner and the popcorn (butter topping included) in my calories for dinner. I will adjust the rest of my calories accordingly. Also -- I packed gym clothes for my lunch hour.

What's nice about logging the "splurge" calories early is that I feel like I can let myself enjoy the food since I know it is within my calorie budget.
  • CallMeAllie
    CallMeAllie Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    thanks so much everybody, all the advice is really helping me to feel better this morning. my depression isn't as severe as not being able to get out of bed, i usually do after a little while, but it's enough to ruin about an hour or so of my morning...which isn't good...but y'all have given me the boost i need to get up and do my daily workout and hopefully get the feel good hormones going in me so i can be happy at work later :) also, keep the friend requests coming, i'm loving that!
  • sismyn13
    sismyn13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I too have a hard time getting back on track once I feel I have sabotaged the day. I used to pretend those days never happened. Denial? Yes! And that is what got me here in the first place. The way I have stopped the rollercoaster from getting of track is to log all the food I eat anyway. Even if I know it is going to make me cringe. Then I push the button....you know, the one that says "complete entry for today" and when I see the weight I will be if I continue on the same path as the day I just logged it shocks the hell out of me and scares me right back into "fight" mode. FIGHT for your own health. Fight against those voices in your head that say "Just have another bite". Imagine your life thinner, healthier and happier. Keep that focus and just move forward. It is so worth it! YOU are worth it.
  • benebabe
    benebabe Posts: 13
    Options
    I agree! You are not alone in this. I have had the same problems many times. Like others have said, planning is the key. We were on a very tight budget for the past year which forced me to plan every little thing I bought at the grocery store. I am hooked on Pinterest, so I started finding new healthy recipes to try each week. Before I knew it, I was couponing and planning all my meals to cook for the week to go shopping on Sunday. Now, I am trying to focus on making my breakfast at home and packing my lunches so I don't go overboard with the fast food. This week I cooked some chicken and made fresh salads for the whole week so now I have no excuse not to grab it from the fridge and take it to work for lunch. The other thing that helps me is not to make any food off limits. If I tell myself I can't have something, I will CRAVE IT! I brought my salad for today, but I also packed a snickers fun size candy bar as a little treat. Also, you can't beat yourself up too bad if you do have one of those fall off the wagon kind of days. I used to be really hard on myself for that. Now if I have a bad day I just make myself get on the treadmill and do some extra walking the next day.
  • Amy4President
    Amy4President Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you're coming from. When I get depressed I over eat, when I get anxious I don't eat at all. I drink when I'm happy (empty calories). I find that my calorie intake is directly linked to my mood.

In May, I would under eat or over eat while studying for finals. The stress would cause me to go for long periods throughout the day and then binge eat (an entire bag of chips, a bunch of chocolate, 3 glasses of wine) at night. After finals ended, my dad was diagnosed with cancer at the same time my friends and support system were leaving town. I had to face the inevitability that I needed to move home for my final year of law school and watch my dad undergo treatment (and possibly die).

I've finally reached a point where I've realized that there is a lot I can't control: dad's health, my housing, my unsupportive friends. I can control how I take care of myself. I can feed myself properly, and break a sweat every day. Even if I'm feeling sad, I can walk the dog and watch her sweet little face light up with joy.

I find that meal planning helps immensely, and weekly grocery shopping. It helps my food intake AND my wallet. Also making it a point to get some sort of exercise every day (walk the dog, bike while I watch TV, something). It's slow and it's not overnight, but it helps.

You're welcome to add me if you want some help. I'm here for those who need/want it!

19641170.png