Did I really burn that many calories???

Options
Today I went on a long hike, 8 miles in about 4.5 hours. It was not very strenuous of a path -- I would say half of it was relatively flat and half of it was either uphill or downhill. I wasn't carrying anything except my water bottle, and some of it got my heart rate up and breathing hard, but that was probably only 1/6 of the whole hike. I'm 23, 5' 4", weigh 128 lbs. Even when I put in the option on MFP that I walked for 4.5 hours at 2 mph, it still says I burned 656 calories! To me that is a whole lot, even though I know I was walking for around 4.25 hours (took maybe a total of 15 minutes of breaks). And when I put in the hiking option, it's ridiculous! Even if I put in that I did an hour of hiking carrying less than 10 lbs it says I burned 414 calories. I just can't believe that either of those are true, and so I'm just really confused as to what to say my exercise was for today. Anyone have any help?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's probably over estimating. That is a pretty big calorie burn for a person who doesn't weigh a lot.
  • KameHameHaaa
    KameHameHaaa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    MFP cals are always waaaay over for me. I wear a HRM when I want a more accurate calculation.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any idea of about how much it's overestimating?
  • psuLemon
    Options

You probably burned a few hundred calories. Have you considered switching to the TDEE - 20% method so this isn't an issue?
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    No idea. FYI, MFP often estimates below what my HRM tells me but I'm 6'2", 250 lbs.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I would say it is pretty close to being right @ the 2 mph option. {255 minutes is a long workout} I think the hiking numbers are higher because it is across uneven ground, over downed trees and the like. Walking on a path is less work than going cross country. I know when I walk in the woods it is harder. But there are lots of calorie burned calculators out there. Punch your numbers into a couple different ones and see what they say.

Larro
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options

You probably burned a few hundred calories. Have you considered switching to the TDEE - 20% method so this isn't an issue?

Do you mean calculate my TDEE, minus 20% from it and then try to net that calorie level? How does figuring out how many calories I burned from this exercise fit in there? I'm sorry, I don't know much about that method :/
  • psuLemon
    Options

Do you mean calculate my TDEE, minus 20% from it and then try to net that calorie level? How does the exercise fit in there? I'm sorry, I don't know much about that method :/

When you calculate TDEE, you include exercise into the equation. You cut 20% (your deficit) from that and eat the same calories per day. So exercise is already built in. Other options are to use a TDEE calculator or just change your activity level in MFP to include exercise. What many people will do to record exercise is change calories burned to "1" so they still document their exercise.

For example, if you exercise 3 to 4 hours a week, change your account to lightly active, or active for 5 to 6 hours of exercise. After 1 month of tracking daily, you can figure out your real TDEE.

I average 2500 calories a day, I also average 1 lb per week fairly consistently (over a 12 week period), so I know my average TDEE is 3000 calories (or my maintenance calories). Some days I burn more, some less but it all equals out over a week.
  • kgeiger141
    kgeiger141 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The walking seems pretty accurate! If you think about it, on average, a person burns 120 calories an hour just from standing (I read it on a fitness website once!), so walking for four and a half hours probably burns more than you think! I always use a tracker on my phone where you can enter your weight and the type of exercise and usually it is pretty accurate!
  • mandragara
    mandragara Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Remember that you burn calories just by existing.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I've heard to estimate roughly 100 calories per mile for walking... But that's just something I've heard.

Basically, I have nothing helpful to add whatsoever.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I agree with what most people have said. Hikes are tougher on our bodies than we realize, I imagine because it's not all flat ground like asphalt typically is. When wifey and I do a hike for, say, 1.5-2 hours, I burn a crazy, crazy, crazy ton of calories and I'm carrying nothing. Granted, I weight 70 lbs. more than you do, but I'd bet the estimates on MFP are pretty close. If in doubt, shave off 150-300 calories if it makes you feel better, but don't shortchange yourself too much. Ya' gotta eat!
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I wear my hrm when I hike and at 5' 120 lbs, the mfp default estimate is usually slightly lower than my hrm. My HR is usually 150ish on the way up and 120-130 on the way down. I carry nothing.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Do you mean calculate my TDEE, minus 20% from it and then try to net that calorie level? How does the exercise fit in there? I'm sorry, I don't know much about that method :/

When you calculate TDEE, you include exercise into the equation. You cut 20% (your deficit) from that and eat the same calories per day. So exercise is already built in. Other options are to use a TDEE calculator or just change your activity level in MFP to include exercise. What many people will do to record exercise is change calories burned to "1" so they still document their exercise.

For example, if you exercise 3 to 4 hours a week, change your account to lightly active, or active for 5 to 6 hours of exercise. After 1 month of tracking daily, you can figure out your real TDEE.

I average 2500 calories a day, I also average 1 lb per week fairly consistently (over a 12 week period), so I know my average TDEE is 3000 calories (or my maintenance calories). Some days I burn more, some less but it all equals out over a week.

This is easiest for me. If it doesn't work for you, try using around 50% of what MFP says you burned. I found this site overestimates by quite a lot.
  • blushpeonies
    blushpeonies Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that MFP is about 50-100 over what I actually burn (I have a HRM to tell me "exactly") but Its estimated that you'll burned about 100 calories per mile - so it might be somewhat true ...
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    600+ calories on an 8 mile hike is entirely possible.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If you want to know the number because you are eating back calories, I would go with half the MFP number and if you feel it wasn't strenuous then use the walking number, not the hiking number.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that MFP is about 50-100 over what I actually burn (I have a HRM to tell me "exactly") but Its estimated that you'll burned about 100 calories per mile - so it might be somewhat true ...

HRM's are not exact either. They only calculate steady state cardio (so only the time you are 'in the zone') All calorie burn methods are purely estimates.
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Seems about right to me if not even a bit low. I am hard pressed to find a calculator that doesn't show 800 as a guess for 270 minutes of slow walking.