What's harder? Quitting smoking or quitting overeating?

Options
I quit smoking over 2 years ago, and while I still have cravings (and have maybe had 2-3 cigarettes socially in the last two years), it was fairly simple. I did use Zyban but only for one week. Once I was quit, I was quit.

I've tried to stop overeating on and off for... 6 years? And I can't stop. Not only do I think I am an emotional eater (and a bored eater). I know my caloric goals, I plan my meals, and I still crave CRAP even when I am not hungry.

I am a smart person (as most of us are) and I KNOW that overeating is not good for me. I KNOW that putting artificial crap in my body is not as healthy as whole foods. I KNOW that I need to eat less to lose weight. I KNOW I need to lose weight to be more active with my kids. I know these things and I should have the willpower to stop overeating, but I can't always.

What do you think? What's harder? Quitting smoking or quitting overeating? Are you struggling too? Friend me and let's overcome this together.

Replies

• Luvbeers
    Luvbeers Posts: 11
    Options
    When you plan your meals are you cooking them yourself? or buying them semi or pre-prepared? or using additives like spice mixes or "helpers" etc.? If you are not making food from scratch chances are there is a lot of salt and sugar (not too different from nicotine) which just makes you crave more food.

Also it might be where you live... if you look at the Tulsa area there are two whole foods and a organic co-op for almost a million people. https://www.google.at/maps/search/whole+foods/@36.1009119,-95.8370627,12z/data=!3m1!4b1

Now look at the amount of fast food eateries... https://www.google.at/maps/search/fast+food/@36.1009119,-95.8370627,12z/data=!3m1!4b1 Even if you've been good and haven't eaten (much) junk food... just driving around the metro area you are bombarded with the idea and imagery of burgers, burritos, chicken, steak, bbq, etc. (not to mention the aisle after aisle of options at a supermarket like walmart or wherever).. so it is no wonder your struggle is never ending.

I had a harder time quitting smoking here in Europe, because everyone seems to smoke, there are cigarette machines and ads everywhere sort of like junk food options in the US. For the overeating it was much easier for me because, even though they have fast food here, it is nothing like in the states and to make the food I like, you have to cook it from scratch which allows you to remove the unnecessary fat, salt and sugar from your favorite dishes.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    When you plan your meals are you cooking them yourself? or buying them semi or pre-prepared? or using additives like spice mixes or "helpers" etc.? If you are not making food from scratch chances are there is a lot of salt and sugar (not too different from nicotine) which just makes you crave more food.

Also it might be where you live... if you look at the Tulsa area there are two whole foods and a organic co-op for almost a million people. https://www.google.at/maps/search/whole+foods/@36.1009119,-95.8370627,12z/data=!3m1!4b1

Now look at the amount of fast food eateries... https://www.google.at/maps/search/fast+food/@36.1009119,-95.8370627,12z/data=!3m1!4b1 Even if you've been good and haven't eaten (much) junk food... just driving around the metro area you are bombarded with the idea and imagery of burgers, burritos, chicken, steak, bbq, etc. (not to mention the aisle after aisle of options at a supermarket like walmart or wherever).. so it is no wonder your struggle is never ending.

I had a harder time quitting smoking here in Europe, because everyone seems to smoke, there are cigarette machines and ads everywhere sort of like junk food options in the US. For the overeating it was much easier for me because, even though they have fast food here, it is nothing like in the states and to make the food I like, you have to cook it from scratch which allows you to remove the unnecessary fat, salt and sugar from your favorite dishes.

Only very recently I am cooking myself, trying to avoid all prepared foods (minus cheeses) and eating whole. We also have Sprouts here which is similar to Whole Foods, and I do go there bi-weekly. Most of my trips to the grocery store are in the meat and produce aisles. I do add my own spices, and I use oil-based salad dressings as a marinade.

I didn't realize there were still cigarette machines out there (*sigh* ignorant American). It was very interesting to hear your perspective!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have a much harder time limiting my eating than I ever did quitting smoking. I quit smoking cold turkey…………mmmmm, cold turkey :love:
  • starznholes
    starznholes Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking has been harder for me...
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    The tough thing about quitting over eating is you are still forced to eat. So you're re-engaging every day. I find that pretty hard.

But I will say that I never cried like a baby so hard as when I gave up smoking. And I gave up alcohol and drugs because I was an addict. But the withdrawal from cigarettes...more brutal than I thought it would be.
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    i started both on the same day... ive slipped up on both in the last 111 days BUT giving up smoking for me has been easier. 99% of the time im not around cigarettes. 99% of the time i am around food.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different. For me, quitting smoking was infinitely harder. Except for the dying thing, I could quit eating all together, or I could do as I'm doing now and just control and restrict what I'm eating. Giving up or cutting down on eating is a cakewalk compared to smoking.

Note: 14 months ago I did quit smoking, but I did it by switching to vaping. The e-cigarettes keep "the voices" at bay.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Overeating, by far. As was already said, I have to eat every day (well most days, I do IF so not every day). But it's getting better. I'm learning to avoid foods that make me more hungry instead of less hungry.

No more alcohol for me, though. It's my gateway drug to food. I swear, I'd chew up the trees outside if there was nothing else on hand when the alcohol munchies kick in.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    The tough thing about quitting over eating is you are still forced to eat. So you're re-engaging every day. I find that pretty hard.

But I will say that I never cried like a baby so hard as when I gave up smoking. And I gave up alcohol and drugs because I was an addict. But the withdrawal from cigarettes...more brutal than I thought it would be.

Yup this...the first time I quit..I cried like a baby too...it was hard...mind you I have cried after some of my exercise too...:bigsmile:

Giving up smoking is hard...it's a physical addiction along with mental, emotional etc...all those things that overeating is...except it is often harder to give up an emotional crutch vs physical crutch.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I think food is more difficult than any other addiction. You have to eat it every day. You have to learn and utilize new and different tricks not to fall into old habits every single day. My good friend is a member of OA (Overeaters Anonymous) and she absolutely swears by the program. There's a lot of support, sponsors, trips they go on together etc... It may be worth you looking into if you're having trouble!

My friend has been extremely successful. She has lost and kept off a lot of weight for years now.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    OMG Smoking. Smoking is my crutch when I want to eat. Vicious, vicious cycle.
  • Eidson50
    Eidson50 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always thought I would have said quitting smoking but wow was I wrong. I quit smoking on January 25th of this year after smoking quite heavily for 20 some years. It was actually pretty easy and haven't really had any cravings since then. The food on the other hand. Holy Cow! I have been trying to lose for about 5 months and have lost 13 pounds. I struggle with over eating daily. I have good days and bad days.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    smoking
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Switched to vaping last november and never looked back after 19 years of smoking, easy peasy.

Overeating, no, not as easy for me.

Agree with Stef on the physical being easier than the emotional, in my case anyway.
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I think food is more difficult than any other addiction. You have to eat it every day. You have to learn and utilize new and different tricks not to fall into old habits every single day. My good friend is a member of OA (Overeaters Anonymous) and she absolutely swears by the program. There's a lot of support, sponsors, trips they go on together etc... It may be worth you looking into if you're having trouble!

My friend has been extremely successful. She has lost and kept off a lot of weight for years now.

I disagree. I was addicted to heroin and oxycontin and kicking that was the most difficult thing I have ever had to do. If you don't have the drug, you can't get out of bed, vomit constantly, and lose control of bodily functions.
  • devotedhufflepuff
    Options
    For me personally, quitting smoking was easier. I quit in 2005 with the help of nicotine gum.

Unfortunately, there is no gum to stop me from emotional eating or craving processed junk food. There is no pill to make me like fruits and vegetables.

I haven't had a cigarette, even socially, in years but I had a cookie this morning and frozen pizza last night.

But, that's just me.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking so much easier for me
  • LassoOfTruth
    LassoOfTruth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking for the new year. I haven't had a cigarette yet. I have been "dieting" for 4 years.............
  • Luvbeers
    Luvbeers Posts: 11
    Options
    I didn't realize there were still cigarette machines out there (*sigh* ignorant American). It was very interesting to hear your perspective!

Well they are cracking down on it and have banned smoking in many countries, but here in Austria it is still pretty much legal except for trains.
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Quitting smoking was definitely easier for me and my husband was still a smoker for 2 years after I quit and my adult son smokes. BUT they kept them out of sight.

Food on the other hand.

Not so lucky