Bagels: my downfall

Options

Replies

• Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Haven't had a bagel in months...now this thread is making me want to eat a nice fresh one with butter..Mmmmmmmm. Just been keeping calorie dense stuff like that out of temptation for now.

Used to bake them too as a 20-something back when. Nothing like firing up the boiler and huge gas ovens at 4:00am and cranking out hundreds of bagels for hungry people wanting breakfast on the go! Back then I could eat as many as I liked with cream cheese, eggs, bacon...potatoes too...washed down with OJ and coffee...we burned off so many calories working in the restaurant that I was rail thin no matter what I ate!

The good old days. :D

I am going to get one as a treat someday soon.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone. So, I'm generally pretty good with eating balanced meals with protein and good fat and the vitamins and minerals I need. My whole life though, I've been told the one food I love more than ANY OTHER FOOD is one of the worst for me. The bagel. Is it bad if I eat a bagel a few times a week, but keep up my exercise and eat pretty balanced for every other meal? I don't mind losing weight a bit more slowly. I'm trying to lose 30 pounds and I really want it to stay off without depriving myself of things that I love.
    I don't want a diet, I want this to be my lifestyle forever and I really can't see a life without bagels!! (I really love them that much).

Help??

My Dr. actually told me to eat bagels... that means either the mini's or thins or just eat 1/2. in your case you sound like you're pretty close to goal so I'd say eat the whole thing, just go easy on any creams etc added to it. You cannot be successful (in my opinion) if you cut out all the foods you love.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I eat bagels all the time. Hasn't hurt my progress.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Haven't had a bagel in months...now this thread is making me want to eat a nice fresh one with butter..Mmmmmmmm. Just been keeping calorie dense stuff like that out of temptation for now.

Used to bake them too as a 20-something back when. Nothing like firing up the boiler and huge gas ovens at 4:00am and cranking out hundreds of bagels for hungry people wanting breakfast on the go! Back then I could eat as many as I liked with cream cheese, eggs, bacon...potatoes too...washed down with OJ and coffee...we burned off so many calories working in the restaurant that I was rail thin no matter what I ate!

The good old days. :D

I am going to get one as a treat someday soon.

Thank God I've just eaten dinner....just saying ;P
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Oh, I hear you! I have to stay away from refined carbs, or I'll just eat them. And the calories do add up.

I find that corn tortillas and pupusas don't have that same effect. I can eat a couple little ones and be satisfied.

Hmmm...maybe I should have pupusas with my eggs for breakfast.

Maybe get some mini-bagels for the freezer, and pull them out one at a time for special treats.
    Probably the first time I've ever seen a pupusa mentioned on this forum. Pretty cool.

I get them every time I go to a swap meet in LA.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I'm having a bagel right now. I have one several times a week. It hasn't caused any issues.

As long as you fit it in to your calorie goal, you're fine.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I like the Thomas Mini Bagels. they have good bagel taste and texture. I also get some asiago cheese bagels that are delicious, but 360 calories apiece, so I only use ½ at a time.

Don't exclude bagels, just fit them in!!!!
  • annabeladcock
    Options
    I have bagels practically every day for my lunch!! Yum, love them so much... If you're trying to lose weight then it really is calories in vs calories out... I just fit them into my daily goal :happy:

EDIT - also, bagels are only typically 250 cals each! Which isn't at all bad considering they're quite filling :)
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, the only way this whole thing will work long term is if we don't deprive ourselves of the things we love.

If you can't see yourself never eating a bagel again, learn how to fit them in.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, my daily breakfast was usually: 1/2 pumpernickel bagel with 1 tbsp whipped cream cheese + scrambled egg/egg whites with spinach + some fresh fruit. I'd opt for reasonably sized real bagels and have a half at a time as part of a balanced breakfast.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, my most favourite thing is a cinnamon bagel with almond butter.
    I allow myself 1-2 a week - they are too delicious not too.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Put some peanut butter on dem bagels!
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Warm asiago bagels are the best.
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I love bagels... NYC bagels are the BEST... fit them in and enjoy them! Unless you're competing, there's no need to deny yourself.
    I take mine with low fat cream cheese and some strawberry jelly.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    Eat da bagel! Just make sure it fits your macros :happy:

I just had a maple french toast bagel this morning..sooo worth it.
  • dianaeatworld
    dianaeatworld Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Try Thomas' bagel thins. They are only 110 calories each. I eat one every work day with some Laughing Cow Cream Cheese. Together, you're looking at 175 calories total. I'm a big bagel person and though nothing can replace a true blue bagel, these aren't half bad.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Make room for the bagel. Eat the bagel. There are no bad foods.

I don't think I've ever actually eaten a bagel before... Is that weird? Might be my next mission. Some of these flavors sound reeeally good right now.
  • bobbyguns
    bobbyguns Posts: 33
    Options
    Being in New York- the Mecca for bagels, it's impossible not to find a bagel store on every other block. Which is why they're great for refeeds. I like to eat a few whenever I refeed, but haven't in awhile. I just got reminded! Fresh and hot out of the oven- no butter required!
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I eat a bagel every single day and it doesn't seem to have any negative affect on me. Why would it? If it fits in your calories goal, eat it.