HELP, STRUGGLING TO EAT MY GOAL CALORIES OF 1450

Options
Hello all,

I am in need of advice. Amazingly enough, I am struggling to consume the recommended caloric intake of 1450 calories. I have been tracking my food on mfp for 4 weeks now. The first week I lost 5 lbs (water). For the past 3 weeks I have been gaining and losing the same 3 lbs. I am wondering if its because on most days I'm not eating 1200 calories. My start weight was 274lbs, I'm 5'9". My current weight is 269 lbs. I don't exercise much and I mainly eat grilled or baked foods. I am always over on proteins but fall short in most other areas. Please tell me what I am doing wrong. Thanks for any and all help.

Deidrea

Replies

• mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure everything.

Read this and follow if you dont already. Hope it helps. Add me for support if you like.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • NCDJ2013
    NCDJ2013 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It would help to see your diary and know what you are eating. Calorie goal looks low to me.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food on a food scale? Using measuring cups and spoons?

You can eat normal food and still lose weight. Sometimes people go crazy with the salads, vegetables and lean meats, and yes it can be tough to get enough calories in if you are eating a lot of low cal bulk. If you truly are only eating 1200 calories, you will see weight loss eventually. But to get your calories up to where they should be, eat some peanut butter, avocados, chocolate (or any other high fat food you like). Both protein AND fat are important macros to meet.
  • InjunOfCanada
    InjunOfCanada Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Add me and I could give you a ideal diet, what kind of foods to eat, if you want.
  • deebaby1008
    deebaby1008 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and measure everything.

Read this and follow if you dont already. Hope it helps. Add me for support if you like.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Yes I do weigh and measure everything.
  • deebaby1008
    Options
    Hi,

I sent a friend request.
  • deebaby1008
    Options
    The calorie goals are what was suggested by MFP.
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    When I was at 245 I was eating somewhere around 1800-2000 calories and that still projected a 2 lb a week loss. You need to add more food in. Instead of eating more at meals, add in morning, afternoon and evening snacks. Not sugary snacks, but something to add in calories. You definitely do not need to consistently below 1200 to lose weight.

I do recommend adding in fast paced walks. At least 30 minutes, 4 times a week. You need to tell your body to burn something and cardio will help that.
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that if you're actually tracking and recording EVERYTHING you wouldn't be losing! I am eating 8400 per week (1200) and started at 196.6' the weight falls off! The calorie amount you said should show a regular loss too, even with out exercise! You need to weigh and measure and not guess or skip on counting anything!
  • deebaby1008
    Options
    When I was at 245 I was eating somewhere around 1800-2000 calories and that still projected a 2 lb a week loss. You need to add more food in. Instead of eating more at meals, add in morning, afternoon and evening snacks. Not sugary snacks, but something to add in calories. You definitely do not need to consistently below 1200 to lose weight.

I do recommend adding in fast paced walks. At least 30 minutes, 4 times a week. You need to tell your body to burn something and cardio will help that.

I agree that I need to add more foods, I think I'm scared to eat. I will definitely begin adding healthy fats as suggested in another comment. I will also start the fast paced walks. Thank you!
  • deebaby1008
    Options
    I find it hard to believe that if you're actually tracking and recording EVERYTHING you wouldn't be losing! I am eating 8400 per week (1200) and started at 196.6' the weight falls off! The calorie amount you said should show a regular loss too, even with out exercise! You need to weigh and measure and not guess or skip on counting anything!

I am tracking and recording everything and again I am struggling some days to even consume 1200 calories. I was told that not eating enough would stave off weight loss. I am just asking if this is my issue and what types of food to add into my daily intake. Thank you
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Your diary still isn't public - that would make it much easier for us to give you tailored advice and suggestions.
  • ianrea1
    ianrea1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that your weight will naturally vary by a few pounds from day to day due to differences in your body's water levels. If you're trying to lose one pound per week, this will be difficult to notice over a short period like three weeks due to the amount of "noise" in your weight numbers.

As an example, say a person's "true" weight (i.e. their body weight at an average internal water level) is 200 lbs. at the beginning of week 1. Say that the person stood on a scale and it said 198 lbs., because the person was a little dehydrated that day. Over the course of the next three weeks, the person loses 1 pound of "true" weight per week, for a total of three pounds of weight loss. Then imagine that the person stands on the scale again on a day when they happened to be a little more well hydrated than average. The person's "true" weight is 197 lbs. (200 minus 3), but the scale says 198 lbs. due to their slightly higher than average hydration level that day. From the person's point of view, it will look like they weighed 198 lbs. at the beginning and 198 lbs. at the end, despite three weeks of dieting and having lost 3 lbs. of weight.

These variations can be even bigger if you don't measure yourself at the same time of day and under the same conditions. I try to weigh myself in the morning after using the bathroom, but before I eat or drink anything.
  • margaritaville94
    margaritaville94 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    you have to measure your food on a scale first. for steak, chicken or fish it has to be 100grams or 4 ounces, at least that is what im doing. i have been following a diet plan for a month now and it does really well , i have lost 11 pounds. other healthy options could be that u eat fish or steak for diner . never eat processed foods like lunch meat or canned veggies such as green beans because it is loaded with salt and sugar, i always eat sauteed squash and zucchini with onions or green beans because it taste so much better when its organic or fresh.if you want to know any more than just message me at Margaritaville94
  • aliu00
    aliu00 Posts: 61
    Options
    you need to take low GI food. If you take a detox that will boost your result.
  • carlyjaner
    carlyjaner Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nic37013
    Nic37013 Posts: 17
    Options
    Deidrea-
    I am SO glad to know that I am not the only one having this problem!! I am new to My Fitness Pal but when I enter my diet into my diary (and I am TOTALLY honest in it) it wants me to eat more!! Really? But I'm not hungry!!! Will be watching to see how you manage this so I can figure out how to do it on this end!

Nic
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Standard advice since we can't see your diary and don't know what may or may not be going wrong: eat more calorie dense foods. Nuts, nut butter, avocado, cheese, full fat dairy, Greek yogurt, ice cream, dark chocolate, full calorie sauces and dressings, coconut oil, olive oil, butter, protein shakes & smoothies, etc.