Pizza.

Options
Pizza is the most unhealthiest fast foods. But is it still unhealthy if you make your own?!
Does anyone have any recipes, and know the rough calorie content of homemade pizza

Replies

• carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I saw the title of your post and wanted to finish it as follows:

Pizza. The Best Food in the World.

I have to work really hard to curb my pizza cravings because I love it so much! I'm sure that homemade pizza is way better for you than the take-out kind...... and there are ways to get around the unhealthy. I have seen recipes for cauliflower crust to cut carbs, and I love to put a huge mound of spinach on my homemade pies.....
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Calorie content is going to be based solely on how YOU make the pizza. You can buy premade wheat crusts or you can look up a recipe for a thin crust wheat pizza crust. You can do the same with the sauce. I add 2% skim milk moz, bell peppers, mushrooms, and olives to mine. :)
  • larajmbell
    Options
    I can get my pizzas down to about 350 calories. I add maybe a teaspoon of olive oil, and instead of using a traditional pizza bread, I use a large whole pita bread, and do not use cheese - if I feel like cheese then I tend to use about quarter of a circle of camembert - I feel like that gives me the taste of cheese that I want without needing to cover the whole thing in some sort of grated cheese. If I do not use the camembert than it is 290 calories.
    However, I make vegetarian pizzas. I have no idea what your calorie content would be if you used some sort of meat, sorry.
  • kgarvey66
    Options
    I love pizza too, its my favorate food , This is my down fall and have a problem with it.... help me please someone, ,,,, Kathy
  • h2onut
    h2onut Posts: 164
    Options
    Home-made whole wheat pita pizza!
    1 whole wheat pita wrap
    1 handful mozza cheese
    Lots of whatever veggies you have on hand (I use mushrooms, red & green peppers, and onions)
    some crumbled feta cheese
    Bake for approx 15-20 minutes

YUMMY and tastes just like my fav. pizza joint (thin-crust of course)

Calories: 320, Carbs: 40, Fat: 9, Protein: 18
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm a weirdo. I don't like melted cheese so I usually take that off my pizza which cuts the calories significantly.
  • h2onut
    h2onut Posts: 164
    Options
    Home-made whole wheat pita pizza!
    1 whole wheat pita wrap
    1 handful mozza cheese
    Lots of whatever veggies you have on hand (I use mushrooms, red & green peppers, and onions)
    some crumbled feta cheese
    Bake for approx 15-20 minutes

YUMMY and tastes just like my fav. pizza joint (thin-crust of course)

Calories: 320, Carbs: 40, Fat: 9, Protein: 18

Oh yeah, don't forget the pizza sauce (you only need approx. 2 Tbsp)...
  • iffytiffyy
    iffytiffyy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was watching "Too Fat For 15" and they made healthy pizza, so it's definitely possible. I think if you use wheat crust and watch the toppings you could make a healthy pizza. FoodNetwork.com has some recipes that pop up if you type in low cal pizzas but it doesn't give the nutrition information.
  • Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    Thank you for the answers!
    I made pita pizza's before and they are good! Will stick to them I think!
    I also love putting tomato puree on with spinach and sun dried tomatoes! Mmm :) And a bit of cheese :P!
  • aeragusa
    aeragusa Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You can make pizzas on tortillas in a super hot oven - they bake nice and crispy!

My favorite pizza to make is buffalo chicken pizza. No sauce, just Frank's Red Hot which has 0 calories. Mmm, flavor! Add a bit of part-skim mozzarella, reduced fat bleu cheese crumbles, grilled shredded chicken, and maybe some veggie fillers that are high in fiber (I like zucchini) and you're golden!
  • larajmbell
    Options
    I also love putting tomato puree on with spinach and sun dried tomatoes! Mmm :) And a bit of cheese :P!
    Spinach, sundried tomatoes, olives, red onion and capsicum is my ultimate fav. :) Plus Camembert, heh.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Pizza gets a bad rep. It's only "bad" if other people make it because you have no control over how much oil they put in, or the quality/freshness of its ingredients.

If you make it yourself pizza is really nothing more than:

- Flour/dough
    - Tomatoes
    - Cheese

Makes you think about what you're paying for, eh? Also, none of those things are especially bad for you. Tomatoes and cheese, in fact, are good for you. :wink:
  • Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    So true :)
    Thank you all for ideas!!

How would you log home made pizzas :S! Would be hard to calculate calories of the base?!
  • cwunderlich
    cwunderlich Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had found a recipe for Cauliflower Crust Pizza. It sounds weird, but was surprisingly good. Even my 10 year old ate it!!
    Just Google it, and you will find the recipe.
  • stitchstar
    Options
    Hey i got this recipe from bordersvm she is a user on here and posted it a little bit ago. Thus far it is the lowest calorie pizza i have found that still sounds DELICIOUS!!!

THIS IS A 381 CALORIE PIZZA, 45G PROTEIN, 32G CARB, 9GFAT, AND 3G SAT. FAT,78MG CHOLESTEROL, 3G FIBER, AND 861MG SODIUM....

INGREDIENTS:
    1 WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR (8" DIAMETER)

2 TBSP BARBECUE SAUCE

1/2 CUP FINELY SHREDDED CABOT 75% LIGHT CHEDDAR CHEESE

2/3 CUP OF CHOPPED GRILLED CHICHEN BREAST

1/4 CUP SLIVERED RED ONION

1 1/2 TSP CHOPPED FRESH CILANTRO LEAVES

DIRECTIONS:
    Preheat oven to 400 F

Place the tortilla on a nonstick baking sheet and bake for 4 minutes each side, press down the air bubbles if they form. Remove from oven. Put the toppings on the tortilla with the sauce, cheese, chicken, onion, and cilantro. Bake for 2 to 4 minutes or til the cheese is melted. Slice in 8 pieces and ENJOY!!

To: BORDERSVM Thanks a million for sharing i cant wait to try it!!!!
  • erin6026
    erin6026 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I make my own! The calories in the dough and cheese are still pretty high, but it's do-able. I get dough at Trader Joe's. It makes about one pizza, and you can figure out the calories based on portion size. I use tomato sauce (clean), and have control over how much cheese I sprinkle on. We usually top with olives or prosciutto. Bake for 10 min!

It certainly is a lot less caloric than delivery, but I have to do some kind of exercise that day if I'm going to meet my calorie goal.
  • winningthin
    winningthin Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I recently watched an episode of "Hungry Girl" on the Food Network that focused on low calorie pizza. She featured one that included a whole wheat tortilla (100 calorie version), a blend of non-fat ricotta cheese and low skim mozzzarella cheese (1/4 cup), four slices of roma tomatoes and basil (no calories). I forgot the measurement for the ricotta cheese (but I'm sure the recipe is posted on her website HungryGirl.com). The total on this tasty, crispy treat is just 200 calories! I recall that she toasted the tortilla in the oven for 5 to 6mins at a temperature of 375, then placed toppings atop the toasted tortilla before placing back in the oven for a few additonal minutes. It might be worth looking up. It looked really good - especially, for those like me who really enjoy white pizza!
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    I love pizza and make room for it, sorry but most substitutions don't cut it for me. If you get a regular New York style slice, just cheese, and ask for half the amount of the cheese, it tastes just as good, I PROMISE. One slice of New York style runs about 400-600 calories and just doesn't have anything besides vitamins A,C,E, D, and a little calcium and protein in the cheese (and a very little protein in the crust). If I do that, I try to have a protein shake and a salad for dinner. What can I say, gotta have it.

I have tried to make my own pizza and because I can't pull of a good traditional Italian pie, my fave is Mexican-style. I like to use the dough from trader Joe's. They have whole wheat dough with instructions and nutritional content on it for about $1.75 (makes approx. one 12" pizza). I usually bake the crust, then cover it with fat free refried beans (it's the "sauce"), then add baked shredded chicken (can use leftover bbq chicken, just go boneless skinless and no added cooking fats). Then, cover it with reduced fat cheese (about 1/2 c) and bake it off until the cheese melts. When it's finished I top it off with shredded lettuce, salsa, and reduced fat sour cream or guacamole if you like (I think the guac is healthier) and a squeeze of lime. It's wicked good.
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    oh, I almost forgot! the lettuce should be tossed with fat free ranch dressing to make it stick to the pizza!
  • JLeeAlton
    JLeeAlton Posts: 311
    Options
    Flatout - 90 cals
    1/4 cup contadina pizza sauce - 30 cals
    1/4 cup mozzarella - 80 cals

200 cals total

But add any veggies you want and I bet you don't hit 300 cals.