RUNNERS: RunKeeper or MapMyRun?

Options
nicca_jb
nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
Hi all,

I have just recently gotten into "really" running - that is, more than the first few weeks of C25K and I've done two 5K races with slow, but reasonable times - and I use my Fitbit to keep track of steps and general activity. I've been really wanting something more in-depth to track with, though, and downloaded RunKeeper a while ago. I also realized that not many people I know are using it, and yesterday downloaded MapMyRun.

I'd like to ask what everyone else uses and why. What makes one app better or worse? So far the only real bonus I've seen to MMR is that it's automatically pulled in my activity history from the Fitbit, which RunKeeper did not do when I synced it. Is one more accurate than the other? Does one "do" more or track more?

Thanks!

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin 305 GPS watch.

Works wonderfully, has so many different functions to use and track and also a HRM strap.

I love the pace alert section. When I do races or PT test I set it to beep if I am going too fast, or slow (you set what is too fast and slow) and it keeps me from going too fast early on, and when I am getting tired and it beeps I know I just have to go a little faster.

It also can hook up to a computer to download stuff but I dont do that. I just write it in my log.

I am not a fan of those apps on phones. When I run.........my phone is left at home so I have no distractions at all.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    You can add Runtastic to the mix. Its just what I happened to start with and works for me.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've never used MMR, but have been using Runkeeper for a while now. If you're looking to train for longer races, RK has a lot of training plans available. I have it synced with MFP and my Polar HRM and everything works fine.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin 305 GPS watch.

Works wonderfully, has so many different functions to use and track and also a HRM strap.

I love the pace alert section. When I do races or PT test I set it to beep if I am going too fast, or slow (you set what is too fast and slow) and it keeps me from going too fast early on, and when I am getting tired and it beeps I know I just have to go a little faster.

It also can hook up to a computer to download stuff but I dont do that. I just write it in my log.

I am not a fan of those apps on phones. When I run.........my phone is left at home so I have no distractions at all.

yep my garmin is how i track.. but i do use the map my run website to plot different courses...excellent tool for that!
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I use Sportstracker Pro (app and online) because it's compatible with my HRM. I can't say anything about the ones that you mentioned, though. Sorry!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper. I love it. Syncs with FitBit, MFP, and FaceBook. I have always used it for all my activitites, and I do love the training programs as well as the periodic challenges they throw out there to keep me motivated!
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    A lot of folks have mixed feelings, but I am a fan of Strava. The challenges are nice, and provide a fun way of pushing your running to the next level. Also, if you have a strong community of local runners there are likely to be routes to run and try and place/KOM against some locals. I also like the metrics that it allows you to track.

EDIT: You can use iPhone or Android app, it syncs with most major GPS/heartrate setups, and I think it syncs with MFP now also.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    I also have a Garmin and love it. If you don't have the cash to invest in a Garmin, I actually perfer the Nike Run app.
  • badgeratheart
    badgeratheart Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm a Garmin fan, too. I used Garmin with MMR for several runs because I literally wanted to map my run for future reference. MMR consistently over-estimated the distance I ran, thereby significantly reducing my pace per mile by as much as 15 seconds per mile. I find Garmin to be much more accurate. I will continue to use MMR if on vacation somewhere because I will want to find local running routes, so I like that feature...
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    For phone purposes Endomondo is the best application I've used

For web site logging, tracking, I think MapMyRun is better.

For dedicated device, I like the Timex Run Trainer 2.0 (I don't use TrainingPeaks)
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I started with MapMyRun. I don't use it on my phone as I like the computer version much better. I simply use it to track my mileage. It's great for tabulating your run data. I don't sync MapMyRun to MFP but I do sync my Fitbit.

I use my HRM to track my calories burned, Fitbit Zip for steps, and one day will either purchase a TomTom, Garmin, or Nike Sportwatch for GPS and pacing.

As if I don't use enough gadgets.:wink:
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin watch to track the runs along with heart rate, stride and temperature data. Garmin uploads to Garmin Connect.
    Here's my Garmin Connect page if anyone wants to friend me:
    http://connect.garmin.com/profile/ftw037

Then I use tapiriik (tapiriik.com) to sync with Runkeeper, Strava and Dropbox.

Then I use VeloViewer to slice/dice Strava data and segment info. Has some neat 3d charts too.

I use Runkeeper because I started using it to track walks back when I started. I have friends on Runkeeper that I like to keep track of. My Runkeeper page:
    http://runkeeper.com/user/Ftw37/activity/

I use Strava because of the segment/gaming aspect of running and cycling. Here's my Strava page if anyone wants to friend me:
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/4300851

I use Dropbox to keep a backup of all my TCX files.

I wear my fitbit flex 24/7 to keep track of daily activities.
    Fitbit page: http://www.fitbit.com/user/26Q7KP

So I guess you'd say I use it all.

I have used Runtastic in the past, as well as MapMyRun. I have one friend on each, which I follow, but I don't sync my activities to those apps anymore Runtastic has a neat new update I've noticed.

YMMV
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    I'll add Runmeter to the mix: excellent app, no subscription-based services.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Neither, I use Nike+ Running to keep tabs on things. I only use RunKeeper when I go for a walk or ride my bike (I like that it gives you different activity options)
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options

I use Strava because of the segment/gaming aspect of running and cycling. Here's my Strava page if anyone wants to friend me:

I added you!

http://www.strava.com/athletes/2481616

Here is me if anybody is interested. I'm always looking for new friends on Strava.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper. The GPS on May My Run is spotty at best. Runkeeper is more accurate, and even when it's off you can manually fix the route on the website.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin watch to track the runs along with heart rate, stride and temperature data. Garmin uploads to Garmin Connect.
    Here's my Garmin Connect page if anyone wants to friend me:
    http://connect.garmin.com/profile/ftw037

Then I use tapiriik (tapiriik.com) to sync with Runkeeper, Strava and Dropbox.

Then I use VeloViewer to slice/dice Strava data and segment info. Has some neat 3d charts too.

I use Runkeeper because I started using it to track walks back when I started. I have friends on Runkeeper that I like to keep track of. My Runkeeper page:
    http://runkeeper.com/user/Ftw37/activity/

I use Dropbox to keep a backup of all my TCX files.

I wear my fitbit flex 24/7 to keep track of daily activities.
    Fitbit page: http://www.fitbit.com/user/26Q7KP

So I guess you'd say I use it all.

I have used Runtastic in the past, as well as MapMyRun. I have one friend on each, which I follow, but I don't sync my activities to those apps anymore Runtastic has a neat new update I've noticed.

YMMV

bump.
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Wow guys - thank you for the awesome responses! Don't have the cash for a Garmin yet, though it's on my list. I wear the Fitbit Flex 24/7 aside from charging times, and sync Fitbit to MFP, so I started syncing RunKeeper to the Fitbit as well (and just set up MMR to do the same if I choose to use it instead. I won't ever use both simultaneously as it would double-log).

I'll also take a look at the other apps mentioned. I was really concerned with the accuracy I was getting on both RK and MMR, but after checking an actual map I can concur that RK maps are more on target.

Wish more of my friends used RK... maybe I'll have to snoop around the other apps to see if I know anyone. :laugh:
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I've been using RunKeeper for over a year, and while it's not 100% accurate on the distances, it's close. I've worn on on 5Ks and it's not too far off on distances... yesterday I used it when running on a track and it was pretty close in measuring the 1/4 mile around the track.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Personally I use Endomondo as the website has far better analysis tools than the others, I also use Runkeeper as I've got a lot more history on there, about five years worth.

I've used MMR in the past and found it unreliable. It would lose sessions when trying to synch, crash randomly and the gps handling was inconsistent.

Runtastic is popular, personally I found it a battery hog and the payment schedule is quite involved. With Runkeeper and Endomondo you get access to everything with one payment, with Runtastc you pay for each add on individually.

Strava is good, I've recently started playing with it and the deep competitive element is a good feature, that said it's fairly expensive compared to the rest, for the premium version.

At the moment I would recommend Endomondo or Runkeeper, and I'd counsel against MMR or Runtastic. Strava is growing on me.