Binging... all or nothing!

Options
Hi there!
I have recently been giving into my all or nothing mentality-- which has only caused me to gain weight and then beat myself up. I need help fixing this! :( I am just not sure how to beat that mentality and I generally end up binging.
Please any thoughts or ideas would be great.

Replies

• 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Your binging because your restricting yourself from certain foods/ eating way too little calories on a daily basis.

Just eat at maintenance, and you should be fine.

Try and have breakfast, lunch, dinner etc - And some yummy snacks in between : )

Throw away any crap!
  • seekingjoyandfitness
    Options
    Thank you for the advice, any more opinions....
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Set a calorie goal that allows you to feel satisfied.

Make sure you get enough protein, fat and fibre. Nothing wrong with carbs, but protein and fat will keep you more full. Try different food timings to find what works for you and your schedule. Some people manage better on 5 or 6 smaller meals, while others prefer 2 or 3 larger meals.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing on some weekends. So, during the week I limit the foods I love. For example, I love chocolate so I will eat a protein bar instead of a candy bar. Or, I will eat 2 tablespoons of peanut butter instead of eating it out of the jar. Same goes with sauces...definitely portion them!

Then on the weekends when there are family dinners/bbq's, I try to make smarter options. For example, my family had mexican food for dinner....so, I did not eat the beans and rice. And, instead of eating fajitas, I put the meat in a salad instead of the four tortillas I would normally eat.

I try to make small "wins" every day (like salad instead of using tortillas, or a burger and a salad instead of fries, or the protein bar instead of a chocolate bar). It has really helped keeping me happy and enjoying what I eat, but not goint 100% crazy and eating everything in sight. I hope you find what works for you!
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I don't know you or your goals, however you only have 14 pounds set on your ticker to lose. I would suggest not being too aggressive on the deficit. Set a small deficit like .5 pounds a week for example.

Weigh all the food you eat and in the end you will see how much you are currently eating and that may help you make better choices. When you see how many calories are in a certain food (whatever that food item is) you may say to yourself, is it worth having the whole box, bag, more than one piece, Etc. Sometimes the answer will be yes, but if you are logging it all then you can see what you are doing and how it adds up. Sometimes it will be no and then you decide based on your macro goals (protein, carbs and fat) what you can substitute instead.

It helps with not having a binge to stay satiated. Eating too little on a regular basis will not do that.
  • 37lbs_to_go
    37lbs_to_go Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I have recently been giving into my all or nothing mentality-- which has only caused me to gain weight and then beat myself up. I need help fixing this! :( I am just not sure how to beat that mentality and I generally end up binging.
    Please any thoughts or ideas would be great.

I'm also a long time binger. Since being on MFP it's been fairly well controlled. Here are the 2 things that helped me the most.

First, log it...all of it...100% accurately. Face the demons head on. Set your diary to private if it keeps you honest. Skipping this step you are only cheating yourself. Doing this allowed me to see my binges were actually not as bad I as previously thought, 1500 +/- calories (for just that one meal). Certainly not bad enough to throw in the towel on a diet/exercise plan that was working (my previous mentality). I would never have seen this if I didn't log accurately. Depending on how bad it was there is even the option to make it a maintenance day. And not worry about having a deficit.

Second, just keep swimming. Forgive yourself and move on. Remember what motivated you to start this. Remember one binge didn't make you (me) overweight. I remind myself of this each time. It's the pattern of (over)eating that did it. It's the pattern we want to break.

My diary is open. Feel free to take a look if it would help.

Edit: I also wanted to add my ticker says 11lbs lost but that's just since I joined MFP. My actual count is 22 lbs lost since March :) Goal weight under 130.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm going to suggest this book, which is a workbook using CBT:
    http://www.amazon.com/Overcoming-Binge-Eating-Second-Program/dp/1572305614/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1403628327&sr=1-1&keywords=overcoming+binge+eating

The "Overcoming" series are ones that have been suggested by the CBT programme at Oxford University (which is where I'm going to school to upgrade my skills). It's very good.
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    would you consider opening your diary, and do you log everything? I agree that you might be restricting too much.
  • Mitsuo8
    Mitsuo8 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Give yourself more calories to eat, if you are left hungry that is just motivation to binge.
  • rykacalla
    rykacalla Posts: 20
    Options
    I had the same problem. I found that increasing my calories in a smart way (protein rich foods), made me feel satisfied for longer. I also allow myself to have a treat, but I keep that reasonable too. My favorite way to satisfy my sweet-tooth is with sugar-free chocolate pudding. I am NOT a diet food person, I'd rather have the real thing or nothing at all... but the sugar-free pudding really quiets the need to hunt down a family sized bag of M&Ms!
  • attackhamster
    attackhamster Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am also an all or nothing type binger. I can't just eat two Oreos, I have to eat the whole sleeve--so I don't buy Oreos. I don' t keep them in the house at all, period. "Everything in moderation" is coming slowly as I learn how to eat better, control my emotional eating, and as I see results from my efforts.

Keep only healthy foods in the house! For me, that means no granola bars, no 100 calorie packs of cookies or crackers, no "healthy snacks" that are healthy if you only eat one serving size--because I know I won't only eat one serving size. If I really want junk, I walk to the store to buy it.

You can do this!
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have also had problems with binging. I finally realized if I give myself a larger daily calorie allowance (200 more) I am way less tempted to binge.
    For a while I decided I would try to accurately log a binge, but when in the midst of one, weighing food is not something I do, so it was still just an estimate. Sometimes it was good for me to see that estimate and sometimes it made things worse, so I realized I need to pay attention to my feelings and pick the right course of action to follow. If a binge was once or twice a month, then logging it was a good idea, but when it became weekly or several times a week I knew I was emotional and it would really defeat me to see those numbers.
    I have always tried to eat a substantial portion of protein and fiber so being hungry has never been a cause for my binges. Boredom, emotions, fatigue, food tasting really good, those things are triggers. I try to stay in tune with myself and not have "treats" in the house when I am in a sensitive place. Sometimes I can have them and I am fine, no temptation, other times they are an absolute no-no. Of course it doesn't take treats to shape a binge. I've binged using peanut butter, dried fruit, cereal, high fiber crackers (NOT a good idea :) ), the type of food doesn't always matter.
    One of the things I know for sure that triggers me is homemade baked goods....dangerous! If I have one cookie, I want a dozen or two. So, I don't bake unless I know there are going to be lots of people around to take care of those treats. Sugar is not my friend and I just start craving it. There are times when I can do really well moderating myself and it's okay to have it, but usually that means there shouldn't be a whole pie/cake, etc sitting available to me.
    One of the important things is to forgive myself! If I binge, then the next day, it is in the past. No carrying guilt, just pick up and move on. I want my goals a lot more than carrying shame and punishing myself. So no punishing myself-restricting calories more to try and make up for it, or making myself do more exercise to burn it off. I have good days and bad days, the bad ones aren't going to dictate my life!
    One last thought...when I log binges those days usually estimate at 4000-5000 calories. For me that's 1600-1700 over maintenance. For one day, that doesn't equal a true gained pound, so I have to think rationally about it. When it becomes weekly then yes, it is a huge problem in my desire to lose weight. If I am adding 200 calories a day to my deficit, then that is only an increase of 1400 calories per week and I am still below maintenance each day, I am satisfied and not tempted to binge (it's easier to squeeze in treat foods when I want them without going over), and mentally I am in a much better place because I am able to stay in control at my deficit without deprivation and without fighting all those feelings that binging brings. Yes, I lose weight slower, but the mental health is more important than the speed of my journey.
    I do use tricks like distracting myself with exercise, just going to bed (because I realize that I am tired and eating to stay awake), chewing gum and having a cup of flavored herbal tea. If it is more about a food that I am really craving then I will allow myself one portion or a substitute that I know will do the trick. Mostly though, just having that higher daily allowance seems to be the key for me.
    Hope something I said will help!
  • seekingjoyandfitness
    Options
    I have also had problems with binging. I finally realized if I give myself a larger daily calorie allowance (200 more) I am way less tempted to binge.
    For a while I decided I would try to accurately log a binge, but when in the midst of one, weighing food is not something I do, so it was still just an estimate. Sometimes it was good for me to see that estimate and sometimes it made things worse, so I realized I need to pay attention to my feelings and pick the right course of action to follow. If a binge was once or twice a month, then logging it was a good idea, but when it became weekly or several times a week I knew I was emotional and it would really defeat me to see those numbers.
    I have always tried to eat a substantial portion of protein and fiber so being hungry has never been a cause for my binges. Boredom, emotions, fatigue, food tasting really good, those things are triggers. I try to stay in tune with myself and not have "treats" in the house when I am in a sensitive place. Sometimes I can have them and I am fine, no temptation, other times they are an absolute no-no. Of course it doesn't take treats to shape a binge. I've binged using peanut butter, dried fruit, cereal, high fiber crackers (NOT a good idea :) ), the type of food doesn't always matter.
    One of the things I know for sure that triggers me is homemade baked goods....dangerous! If I have one cookie, I want a dozen or two. So, I don't bake unless I know there are going to be lots of people around to take care of those treats. Sugar is not my friend and I just start craving it. There are times when I can do really well moderating myself and it's okay to have it, but usually that means there shouldn't be a whole pie/cake, etc sitting available to me.
    One of the important things is to forgive myself! If I binge, then the next day, it is in the past. No carrying guilt, just pick up and move on. I want my goals a lot more than carrying shame and punishing myself. So no punishing myself-restricting calories more to try and make up for it, or making myself do more exercise to burn it off. I have good days and bad days, the bad ones aren't going to dictate my life!
    One last thought...when I log binges those days usually estimate at 4000-5000 calories. For me that's 1600-1700 over maintenance. For one day, that doesn't equal a true gained pound, so I have to think rationally about it. When it becomes weekly then yes, it is a huge problem in my desire to lose weight. If I am adding 200 calories a day to my deficit, then that is only an increase of 1400 calories per week and I am still below maintenance each day, I am satisfied and not tempted to binge (it's easier to squeeze in treat foods when I want them without going over), and mentally I am in a much better place because I am able to stay in control at my deficit without deprivation and without fighting all those feelings that binging brings. Yes, I lose weight slower, but the mental health is more important than the speed of my journey.
    I do use tricks like distracting myself with exercise, just going to bed (because I realize that I am tired and eating to stay awake), chewing gum and having a cup of flavored herbal tea. If it is more about a food that I am really craving then I will allow myself one portion or a substitute that I know will do the trick. Mostly though, just having that higher daily allowance seems to be the key for me.
    Hope something I said will help!

This advice was amazing- thank you to ALL that posted. It was and is incredibly helpful and useful.