How many calories to consume on average per meal?

Options
My calories per meal averages to about 400 or so but I feel guilty eating this chili I made for lunch which came out to be almost 600 calories with noodles added. Am I ok as long as I stay under my target calories?

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    yes
  • Martin_CDF
    Martin_CDF Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think there's a few different schools of thought on this;

There's the old saying "Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Lord, Supper like a Pauper" which says to eat more at the start of the day. Other people will say to spread the calories evenly through the day (5-6 small meals) to keep blood sugar constant.

My own view, is go with what works, though I certainly wouldn't feel guilty at a 600cal chili when you're staying under your target calories. I'm sure you'll find like me that some days you eat a large meal and some days they're all a similar size. Ultimately if the scales are moving the right way then you're on a winner!

*Edit - or as poster above put it much more succinctly. "Yes"
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Yep.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Definitely. Dinner is always my largest meal, as this is when I'm hungriest. I rarely have an appetite for breakfast, am hungry at lunch, but can get by with very little calories, but am starving by dinner, even with a light afternoon snack. And if I eat really light at dinner, then I'm hungry 2 hours later, and I can't think about anything else, and I end up binging.

The idea that everyone is the same is silly. You have to do what works for your body. I get razzed all the time because I don't eat a "proper" breakfast. But I eat a snack mid morning, and that works for me. When I did eat breakfast, I actually gained weight. You need to eat when you're hungry, and stop when you're full. No one person is the same, except in this regard.

So enjoy that chili and take it easy at dinner! :)
  • Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    yeah ive heard alot of things about eating more for breakfast and lighter as the day goes on but i find that i have more control during the day with breakfast and lunch than i do at dinner time because i have to cook for a man that eats NO veggies or fruits so i try to save majority of my calories for dinner!
  • TazzytheMotivator
    TazzytheMotivator Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Yes you are ,always make sure that you know what the calories are before you eat it, before you record in your food dirary.
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I think the most important thing to do is what works for you. That way you are more likely to stick with it. The total # of calories consumed for the day is what matters more than when you consume them.

That doesn't mean though that there are not more optimal times to eat than others. I do believe a hearty breakfast is important as it helps us start our day with sufficient fuel. It also helps to get our metabolism going. But in the end, some people are breakfast people, some aren't. I need a substantial breakfast. My boss can totally skip it. Find what works for you.
  • Bauer77
    Bauer77 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree with pretty much everyone here. Although I rarely eat breakfast, I always try to have something even if very light, just to get my metabolism going. This pretty much gives lunch a good portion of my calories. I try to spread my calories over the day pretty evenly, but I try to eat lighter foods in the evening. 600 calories is not huge for chili, just be aware that you could probably eat 6 salads throughout the day and still be at 600 calories as well. Lifestyle change is not to make you feel guilty about foods you crave, just moderate the portions....Hope this helps. If anyone wants to comment I all ears! :-)
  • Martin_CDF
    Martin_CDF Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change is not to make you feel guilty about foods you crave, just moderate the portions...

^This! That pretty much sums up everything we're trying to do.
  • Jartexas
    Jartexas Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    300 - 350 has worked well for me