Looking for some advice.

Options
I started tracking in April, I set a goal of tracking everyday for 30 days and once I achieved that I would begin to add exercise. I successfully tracked for 30 days and was able to lose a few pounds, about .75-1lb per week. I was happy with the trend. In May I began going to Orangetheory fitness and for the last 5 weeks I have gone once a week and I'm working towards going twice a week. My next goal is to add some cardio/exercise on the days I do not go to Orangetheory, I own T25 and plan on starting beta soon. I live in Phoenix, so until Halloween I'm limited in outdoor exercise. I'm slightly active, 27 y/o female, I'm an RN and work 3 12h shifts a week and I'm on my feet majority of those shifts. I currently weigh 149.5lbs and I'm 5'4. My goals for this change are to improve my eating habits while creating a lifestyle I can stick with for the long term. Last summer I had major loss in my family and I gained almost 20lbs in one year, throughout the beginning of 2014 I was seeing weight gain every week and it scared me. I was making terrible decisions about food and rationalizing all of them. I wanted to change. I don't expect rapid results, I just want to create a healthy lifestyle for myself and of course I'd love to see weight loss with that. If anyone would mind reviewing my diary, looking for areas of improvements. I'm not interested in eating 100% clean or never having fast food again or a beer or chocolate, imo those are not restrictions I can follow through on for a long term change. I just want to appropriately moderate those items. My work schedule is irregular so about 50% of my work shifts I bring frozen lean cuisine, healthy choice or similar for lunch. I've been trying to increase my protein intake and have considered switching my focus to counting macros. I'm extremely interested in strength training, I just don't know where to start. Thanks!

Also I do take my measurements as well as pictures to track my progress.

Replies

• _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I think your mindset is excellent, your expectations planted firmly in reality, and you'll be very successful!

I started with the book New Rules of Lifting for Women and loved it. There is a NROLFW group here on MFP you might want to check out as well. Good luck, I think you're gonna kill it!

ETA: without a hint of irony, STRONG FIRST POST! :flowerforyou:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    stronglifts is a very easy program to follow.

You need a barbell, a bench and some weights to start...

Nice to have would be squat rack or powercage.

5 exercises, 3x a week (normally M/W/F but can do other days just make sure you take a day off in between days)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Helps build strength, lose inches and is a simple uncomplicated program to follow...

and here is a group full of woman lifting...not just stronglifts tho...there are all sorts of workouts in this group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    stronglifts is a very easy program to follow.

You need a barbell, a bench and some weights to start...

Nice to have would be squat rack or powercage.

5 exercises, 3x a week (normally M/W/F but can do other days just make sure you take a day off in between days)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

Helps build strength, lose inches and is a simple uncomplicated program to follow...

and here is a group full of woman lifting...not just stronglifts tho...there are all sorts of workouts in this group.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

This...alllll of this...

I started stronglifts 8-9 weeks ago. I love love love it.

Keep in mind the scale # may not move for awhile, so take measurements and progress photos. ALL of my measurements have changed for the better.
  • kmgh487
    kmgh487 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you ladies, I joined both of those groups. I don't have any of that equipment right now and I can't afford to buy them. I have resistance bands and I'm planning on buying dumbbells but that's all the home equipment I will have for a while and since I joined Orangetheory I can't afford OTF and a gym membership. Thanks!
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    Have to thank the OP for asking this question as I am in a somewhat similar situation (just beginning to add dedicated workout time and strength training to my schedule)! I will definitely take a look at those groups AND check out stronglifts :)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Check out Convict Conditioning.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    This isn't personal experience but I've heard people I trust say good things about You Are Your Own Gym too.