Oh no I missed breakfast today

Options
Hello people, this morning after a good workout cardio yesterday I set my alarm for 9AM but did not get up until around 10:30AM. With that I went straight for the walking trail and burned 371 calories, afterwards I ate a grilled chicken sandwich with a fresh fruit of cup and more water at Chic Fil A. Two questions from me today

1. Since I missed breakfast, would it be okay to make up for it with a smaller meal later before dinner?

2. Is it okay and healthy to do cardio before eating breakfast? I feel even less sluggish and more motivated to start my 30 minute walk first thing in the morning.

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat breakfast. There are plenty of very fit people that practice Intermittent Fasting (IF) and train fasted. It's more of a personal preference. If you prefer your workout in a fasted state, then skip breakfast. If you like it better with, have breakfast.
  • Mav3rick54
    Mav3rick54 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    yes and yes
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    1. If you're hungry, just eat. Doesn't matter what time, as long as you stay within your calorie goal range.
    2. Do what feels best for you. I'm the same way; I also exercise before eating breakfast and no harm has come from it.

Hope I helped. :)
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    no you could hinder all your progress...Getting up at 1030 must be nice tho
  • low_esteem23
    low_esteem23 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    1) In terms of you "making up for it" with another meal before dinner: No. It is not okay for you to "make up for it". What i mean by saying it's not okay is that you can't think of it as making up for it. Think about this. If you miss breakfast and lunch is it okay for you to eat all three meals at one time? No. You'll get sick and you wont feel good about it. BUT if you're hungry then eat! Just try to go for something less in calories like a snack sized option as opposed to a meal or deciding carefully on what that meal is.

For those who think that it doesn't matter what time of day you eat, well, it does. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it jumpstarts your metabolism. As much as we like to think that our metabolisms are working at the same rate all throughout the day, they aren't. Having a larger breakfast is much better for you than having a larger dinner.

2) In terms of cardio before breakfast. Yes that's fine but you should still eat breakfast because again, it's the most important meal. But another way you can think of it is, well, you did eat breakfast. Your breakfast was after your workout and it was at chic fil a.

PERSONALLY - and i'm not saying this works for everyone - but i've noticed that when i eat more of my calories at breakfast and earlier in my day, the better i feel and the more weight i tend to lose than when i don't eat breakfast and eat later in the day only.
  • NS3210
    NS3210 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Loving these suggestions guys,, keep it up!
  • brower47
    Options
    1) In terms of you "making up for it" with another meal before dinner: No. It is not okay for you to "make up for it". What i mean by saying it's not okay is that you can't think of it as making up for it. Think about this. If you miss breakfast and lunch is it okay for you to eat all three meals at one time? No. You'll get sick and you wont feel good about it. BUT if you're hungry then eat! Just try to go for something less in calories like a snack sized option as opposed to a meal or deciding carefully on what that meal is.

For those who think that it doesn't matter what time of day you eat, well, it does. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it jumpstarts your metabolism. As much as we like to think that our metabolisms are working at the same rate all throughout the day, they aren't. Having a larger breakfast is much better for you than having a larger dinner.

2) In terms of cardio before breakfast. Yes that's fine but you should still eat breakfast because again, it's the most important meal. But another way you can think of it is, well, you did eat breakfast. Your breakfast was after your workout and it was at chic fil a.

PERSONALLY - and i'm not saying this works for everyone - but i've noticed that when i eat more of my calories at breakfast and earlier in my day, the better i feel and the more weight i tend to lose than when i don't eat breakfast and eat later in the day only.

Show me one peer reviewed study that states that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It is not. Meal timing is completely a matter of personal preference.

Breakfast:
    1. It is not the most important meal.
    2. It does not jump start your metabolism.
    3. It is not the most important meal.
    4. Your personal experience for what works best for you is not a criteria to be considered at all. If it was, the super fit IFers would not be... super fit.
    5. It is not the most important meal of the day.

But if you can show any actual research and not just your assertions, I'd be more than happy to read up on it and change my knowledge base accordingly.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat until around 12 or 1 unless it's a weekend. I also strength train at 5:30 am without breakfast. I too, prefer to have bigger dinners and snacks. It's all about personal preference. If you feel good and your workout doesn't suffer, then do what works for you. The "most important meal" and "starts your metabolism" theories have all been shown to be myths.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I do fasted cardio whenever I can! I love it - I feel lighter, faster and better. My schedule usually doesn't allow it, but on weekends, I love to go for 5-7 miles before I eat.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Today is the breakfast post day I guess. Everyone is worried about this one meal... why?? It is irrelevant when you eat your calories, as long as you get them in and they meet your goal.

Breakfast is whenever you break fast. Meaning the first meal you eat in a day. It can be 12AM, 6AM, 10AM, 1PM, 4PM, 10PM, etc.,.. it doesn't matter!!!!
  • jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    Missing breakfast and exercising fasted are totally fine things to do! And yes, it does mean that if you are a little hungrier later you can snag an extra snack. I usually don't eat until noon-1pm (and I'm up at 7am), and I've still lost plenty of weight.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I function better by not eating at breakfast but making sure I get in a healthy, high protein lunch. If I eat breakfast it's only because I'm hungry or I will be doing some strenuous work and know I'll need the energy soon. Otherwise, I won't force myself to eat when I'm not hungry.

When someone tells me I need to eat breakfast because it's the most important meal of the day, I feel like it's a Kellogg's commercial or something. :laugh:
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to say if skipping breakfast is a problem for you personally, but it may be a good idea to consider the research described in this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/07/23/heart-attack-risk-men-skip-breakfast_n_3638459.html

For those who don't want to click links, it shows that men who don't eat breakfast has 27% higher risk of heart attack or dying from heart disease.

Sure, when you eat is a personal preference, but statistics indicate that breakfast is a really good idea.
  • arnoldfamily07
    Options
    Bottom Line: How do you feel?

If you feel healthy and not weak, maybe you just found more of a routine that will work for you. If you found your energy levels were suffering or felt a bit nauseous, you might want to try and avoid it again.

On this site, from what I've seen, IFs (intermitent fasters) are going to tell you that your missed breakfast is the only proper way to do it. Non fasters are going to tell you that you missed the most important meal of the day.

The only thing that matters is how you feel and when you go to the doctor do they give you a clean bill of health. Your ticker shows that you are achieving your goals so keep at it.
  • brower47
    Options
    It's impossible to say if skipping breakfast is a problem for you personally, but it may be a good idea to consider the research described in this article: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/07/23/heart-attack-risk-men-skip-breakfast_n_3638459.html

For those who don't want to click links, it shows that men who don't eat breakfast has 27% higher risk of heart attack or dying from heart disease.

Sure, when you eat is a personal preference, but statistics indicate that breakfast is a really good idea.

This is a classic case of correlation =/= cause and there is not research to show that not eating breakfast is the CAUSE of an increase in heart attacks in men.
    Non fasters are going to tell you that you missed the most important meal of the day.

I'm a non faster and I'm not going to tell him that it's the most important meal of the day. I know of a large number of educated folks on this site that won't tell the OP that. There are also plenty of IFers that won't tell the OP that IF is the only way to go. A lot of them will also state that it's a personal preference.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Not really....it was

an observational study....

no cause and effect was proven.

they also said the men who skip breakfast usually have other "bad" habits as they were more likely to smoke, drink more alcohol, be unmarried and to be less physically active. That couldn't lead to heart disease at all...noooooooooooo :laugh:
    Over many years skipping breakfast can lead to insulin sensitivity, which can lead to type 2 diabetes and it can lead to high blood pressure which over time can lead to heart disease
    However, these researchers only looked at men over 45 so we would need to see further research to confirm that breakfast has the same impact on the heart health of other groups of people.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Hello people, this morning after a good workout cardio yesterday I set my alarm for 9AM but did not get up until around 10:30AM. With that I went straight for the walking trail and burned 371 calories, afterwards I ate a grilled chicken sandwich with a fresh fruit of cup and more water at Chic Fil A. Two questions from me today

1. Since I missed breakfast, would it be okay to make up for it with a smaller meal later before dinner?

2. Is it okay and healthy to do cardio before eating breakfast? I feel even less sluggish and more motivated to start my 30 minute walk first thing in the morning.

I don't eat breakfast. I am hungry all day if I eat breakfast. Usually have a morning shake to wake me up and that's it.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

SUre you can do cardio before breakfast. No reason you cant, done in the military most of the time. WHy do you feel the need to make up for breakfast with smaller meal before dinner? If you feel hungry during the day, then make up those calories from breakfast but if you dont........dont sweat it. Dont eat just to eat and get your calories in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

Mr.T-LOL.gif

My Granny told me that breakfast was the most important meal of the day too...I love her to death, but she's not so much into actual science and whatnot....