Breaking the evening snacking habit

Options
Hello all. Been on MFP since January and sucessfully have lost over 17pounds. My struggle is eating in the evening. I do really great in the day but as so as I get the kids in bed and sit down I eat just to eat. Not because I am hungry. I like cheese and crackers, pringles, anything salty. I do measure out my portions and log the calories but I feel like it might be stalling my progress.

Thanks.

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter for weight loss. It's personal preference. Some days I eat over 900 calories in the evening less than an hour before bed. I love my quiet no kid time to watch TV and snack. Calories in vs out.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Eating at night won't slow you down. However, if this is about stopping the urge to snack out of boredom, I suggest crocheting or something.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Meal timing doesn't matter for weight loss. It's personal preference. Some days I eat over 900 calories in the evening less than an hour before bed. I love my quiet no kid time to watch TV and snack. Calories in vs out.

This. My largest meal is in the evening. I LOVE eating at night- so I tend to load my calories starting around 1 PM.

I much prefer to be hungry at work- then hungry at home.

also popcorn.
  • sculli123
    sculli123 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

This. My largest meal is in the evening. I LOVE eating at night- so I tend to load my calories starting around 1 PM.

also popcorn.
    Same. Except the popcorn part.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I agree with above posters, when you eat isn't a problem as long as you're meeting your calories. But if you would prefer not to snack in the evening my tip is to find an active hobby. By active I really just mean something that occupies your hands.

If I watch TV/film I'm almost always fiddling with a Rubik's cube at the same time. I can't snack while playing the Sims on the computer. This was key for me, because before my lifestyle change I would just have a passive evening snacking and even after I started using MFP that was always a dangerous time/situation.

You mention that you have kids so I'm assuming you won't be able to leave to go to the gym or for a walk but that would also be an option, I often swim or rock climb in the evening. Other people like knitting and so on.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

also popcorn.
    Same. Except the popcorn part.

mmhmmm MOAR FOR ME!!! MUAH HA HA HA
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Dill pickles really satisfy my salt/crunchy craving!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Same here - I have much greater self control during the day and being a little hungry doesnt bother me, but not int he evenings... I always graze and snack for a few hours.

So I plan for it. I have about 1800 calories per day, and I know from history that I really need at least 800 from 5pm til bedtime. So I am cautious all day to only hit 1000 by 5pm. If its a rough week or I think I will be going overboard, I will go as low as 500 before 5pm, then I can really pig out that night on my 1300 remaining :)

Even though I have more self control during the day, a large part of it comes from KNOWING that I get to eat what I want that night. Makes it a lot easier to sacrifice a little since it is short term.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Embrace your evening snack.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Every now and again I find that I like to grab a 90 calorie fiber plus bar. Only 90 calories, has a little sweetness to it and the fiber will only serve as beneficial and it's small enough to cure the need or want for something. I also enjoy sipping on a nice big cup of warm tea. Make sure you are getting enough hydration throughout the day. I find when I do, I have less evening cravings.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I agree with above posters, when you eat isn't a problem as long as you're meeting your calories. But if you would prefer not to snack in the evening my tip is to find an active hobby. By active I really just mean something that occupies your hands.

If I watch TV/film I'm almost always fiddling with a Rubik's cube at the same time. I can't snack while playing the Sims on the computer. This was key for me, because before my lifestyle change I would just have a passive evening snacking and even after I started using MFP that was always a dangerous time/situation.

You mention that you have kids so I'm assuming you won't be able to leave to go to the gym or for a walk but that would also be an option, I often swim or rock climb in the evening. Other people like knitting and so on.

This!^

If it's mindless snacking....do something with your hands. From cross stitch to solitaire...anything.

Also, the deck of cards workout is great for commercials..........

Deck of cards workout: Hearts = cardio, Diamonds = upper, Spades = lower, Clubs = abs. Play: draw the 8 of hearts - do 8 jumping jacks, draw 10 of diamonds do 10 push ups .... etc.
  • dreamcatcher024
    Options
    It will be stalling your progress quite a bit.
    That is my problem too, in the day when I'm at work I don't even think about food, but once I get home, and sit down I start craving things like pringles.

What I am doing to stop this is to swap the pringles for raisins, I have a small box of raisins when the cravings get too much. Then the cravings subside because the raisins are sweet and when eaten slowly are filling enough to stop the cravings altogether.

Plus one small box of raisins is 45 calories whereas one can of pringles was 900 calories.

68227594.png
  • survivor1952
    survivor1952 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    1 p Cinnabon dry cereal in a bowl...great evening snack. Sweet, crunchy, 1 cup is lots of pieces to get you through the evening munchies.
  • mommadearest3
    mommadearest3 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm a big evening snacker too...I have recently started snacking on celery and hummus. Celery is super low cal, and the hummus is fairly low cal as well, as long as you limit yourself. I find it satisfies my urge to snack, and can be filling.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I eat 2/3 of my calories in the last two hours I'm awake. I prefer to eat at night, just plan for it. I normally have about 1200 calories then right to bed afterwards. This is what I call my "After Dinner" meal.
  • gardnerkennedy
    gardnerkennedy Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My personal experience is that time of eating does matter, and I lose faster when I don't eat in the evening/close to bed, regardless of calories.

I broke the habit by drinking a bottle of sparkling water every night. It feels like a treat, it tastes good, and it occupies my hands.

I tried brushing my teeth after dinner for a while but never established the habit--but I think it works for some.

I can even skip the water now, too. I don't mind reading or watching tv now without consuming anything. I just treat it as a test of my will, and that feels pretty good when it has been successful and I go to bed.
  • rpmtnbkr
    rpmtnbkr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Nighttime/Evening snacker as well. Love them Pringles....greatest gift to a dieting snacker so easy to measure a portion!!!!

All boils down to calories in vs calories out.

I seemed to do better with the popcorn, but I'd consume just about anything... Over time you'll discover which foods seem to have a detrimental effect... mine seemed to be ice cream... so that became more of a reward item for me.
  • WIARTONIAN
    Options
    Brush your teeth!
  • ZombieMom79
    ZombieMom79 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    So if it isn't impacting my results then embrace it and plan for it. That I can do. I don't usually even sit down till 9:00 pm because there is always something to do.

Thanks for all the input!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    My personal experience is that time of eating does matter, and I lose faster when I don't eat in the evening/close to bed, regardless of calories.

I broke the habit by drinking a bottle of sparkling water every night. It feels like a treat, it tastes good, and it occupies my hands.

I tried brushing my teeth after dinner for a while but never established the habit--but I think it works for some.

I can even skip the water now, too. I don't mind reading or watching tv now without consuming anything. I just treat it as a test of my will, and that feels pretty good when it has been successful and I go to bed.

hBF48B34D