Why can't I count calories right?

Options
Hi, I'm basically pretty new to counting calories and losing weight. I'm starting college in the fall, and right now I'm a part time nanny. The foods I eat vary on the time I have since my schedule is so hectic. Usually I've been eating oatmeal for breakfast, a small fruit salad for lunch, and dinner depends on what I have money to get at the time (still usually very healthy). The thing is, putting food into my diary and keeping track is confusing me. If I eat five whole strawberries and go to put it in, it gives me serving sizes, grams, cups, etc. Maybe it's just because I'm starting out, but I have no idea how to count serving sizes and so on. All I know is I simply ate five whole strawberries. Also, what if a food I eat isn't on here? I basically need someone to help explain how I should start with handling my food diary. Also, what foods are best to eat while losing weight? Thank you!

Replies

• dreamcatcher024
    Options
    Just google it.
    That's what I do.
    I have a word document on my computer with a calories table on it.
    Name of food and amount of calories.
    That way you won't have to look it up every time you have something, if you have put it in your table beforehand that is.

68227594.png
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Invest in a food scale. It helps with making sure what you think a serving is, is actually serving. Sometimes (not always on produce), there will be a label telling you how much a serving is and the nutrition facts for that amount of food. If a food item is not listed on this website and you have access to previously mentioned label on the food, you can add it.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Most people in MFP weigh their food with a food scale.

P.S. For the strawberries I search whole medium or large strawberries. One medium strawberry is 4 calories.
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I search calorieking.com for items not in the database or if the numbers there seem a bit off, in addition to using a digital food scale I found for under $30.