I am a Horrible Cook

Options
abbvest
abbvest Posts: 9 Member
Cooking has never been a skill of mine, but I do try. At this point, pretty much the only things I trust myself to make are macaroni and scrambled eggs. Does anyone have any good, healthy, EASY recipes I can start trying? I'm working on getting better, but I find myself attempting recipes I'm just not ready for. Any ideas for something to help me begin getting better at this while eating as healthy as possible?

Replies

• squiddledeedee
    squiddledeedee Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You might want to try some of the Hungry Girl recipes. They are pretty easy and you should be able to search online and find some free ones.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    do you like cabbage? if you do I will post a very easy soup that is very low cal and very filling!
  • LizardIsANerd
    Options
    take about 1-1 1/2 tablespoon of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). add a dash (1/2 teaspoonish) garlic powder and a dash of black pepper (less than 1/2 teaspoonish) add a pinch of salt unless you are avoiding sodium.
    Pour this into a bag (about 12oz) of frozen brussels sprouts. (just snip off a corner and pour it in) Shake the bag to evenly coat the sprouts.
    cut the bag the rest of the way open and pour onto cookie sheet.
    stick in oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
    YUM.
  • vandy29
    vandy29 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    vegetable soup is easy....canned tomatoes and frozen vegetables
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    do you like cabbage?
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,417 Member
    Options
    What do you like to eat? That will help narrow it down some. Chicken is pretty easy to make, tacos, chili, salads, pork tenderloin, etc. I'm a decent cook but it has to be FAST and generally not take more than 30 minutes or I won't make it. Let me know what you are interested in and I'll give you some pointers/recipes/ideas.
  • smilestb99
    Options
    I am guessing you probably don't...but do you have a crockpot? There are so many super easy receipes you can make in one of those. I use mine all the time. You just throw the stuff in and let it cook!
  • abbvest
    Options
    I would love to see the soup recipe!
  • abbvest
    Options
    do you like cabbage? if you do I will post a very easy soup that is very low cal and very filling!

Meant to quote in the last one, haha. Yeah, I would definitely like to try this one out!
  • abbvest
    Options
    What do you like to eat? That will help narrow it down some. Chicken is pretty easy to make, tacos, chili, salads, pork tenderloin, etc. I'm a decent cook but it has to be FAST and generally not take more than 30 minutes or I won't make it. Let me know what you are interested in and I'll give you some pointers/recipes/ideas.

Ooh, I would love some recipes that are quick to make! I do like chicken a lot; not really into beef or fish. I would say chicken is probably my favorite meat, but I am pretty much up for learning about anything. Even if I don't think I'll like it, I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up enjoying something more than I expected to. Not knowing how to make things has turned me into a picky eater when I really might not be at all! If that makes any sense.
  • abbvest
    Options
    I am guessing you probably don't...but do you have a crockpot? There are so many super easy receipes you can make in one of those. I use mine all the time. You just throw the stuff in and let it cook!

I don't have a crockpot, but I think my roommate might. I will definitely have to look up some recipes for that! Thanks!
  • abbvest
    Options
    You might want to try some of the Hungry Girl recipes. They are pretty easy and you should be able to search online and find some free ones.

I haven't actually heard of Hungry Girl, but I will look into it! Thank you!
  • abbvest
    Options
    take about 1-1 1/2 tablespoon of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). add a dash (1/2 teaspoonish) garlic powder and a dash of black pepper (less than 1/2 teaspoonish) add a pinch of salt unless you are avoiding sodium.
    Pour this into a bag (about 12oz) of frozen brussels sprouts. (just snip off a corner and pour it in) Shake the bag to evenly coat the sprouts.
    cut the bag the rest of the way open and pour onto cookie sheet.
    stick in oven at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
    YUM.

I think I could manage this one! Thank you so much!
  • AMHA32
    AMHA32 Posts: 23
    Options
    Oh my gosh what a great tip!! I just ate brussels sprouts but dumped them out of the bag and then coated/salted/peppered.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    super easy chicken tortilla soup:

1 can chicken broth
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 can corn
    1 can kidney beans
    1 can chicken breast
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
    chopped onions (aprox. 2 TBS or more if you like onions)

put all ingredients in a pot and simmer until chicken is heated through (10-15 mins). You can top with fat-free sour cream and baked tortilla chips.

(for baked tortilla chips, cut corn tortilla chips into triangles, place on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with PAM then lightly spray tortilla chips with PAM. Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 mins or until lightly browned and crips.)
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I HATE cooking, but I love anything I can do in the crockpot.

chicken+chicken broth/stock+McCormick original chicken seasoning+corn (or other veggie you like) = delicious homemade chicken soup
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    AbbVest, I started a daily cooking blog, at the first of the year, exactly for this reason. I love to cook and cook everyday. You can find my cooking blog by going to

www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TracieJ65
  • medusasmuppet
    Options
    super easy chicken tortilla soup:

1 can chicken broth
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 can corn
    1 can kidney beans
    1 can chicken breast
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
    chopped onions (aprox. 2 TBS or more if you like onions)

put all ingredients in a pot and simmer until chicken is heated through (10-15 mins). You can top with fat-free sour cream and baked tortilla chips.

(for baked tortilla chips, cut corn tortilla chips into triangles, place on a cookie sheet that has been sprayed with PAM then lightly spray tortilla chips with PAM. Bake at 400 degrees for about 10 mins or until lightly browned and crips.)

I am so trying this! I love chicken tortilla soup... and I'm a horrible cook too!
  • fearlessfatty
    fearlessfatty Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am a terrible terrible cook and have just recently discovered i LOVE it! thanks to the Biggest Loser Family Cookbook. I pick out 3-4 meals I'll make in a week, write out my ingredients, shop, then make them and they are tasty and easy! I've made chicken meatloaf, bench press green peppers (peppers stuffed with turkey and garlic and feta and rice). The meals are filling and anything I don't get (like how do you buy garlic, i mean, REAL garlic. . . and if i need to buy goat cheese and the container says "goat's MILK cheese" is that the same thing?) I just facebook a friend or call someone I know who cooks.

It has made my weight loss kick right back into high gear - 195 on monday, 190 on wednesday. i now have energy to exercise in the moring and feel pretty darn proud of myself for cooking!

Good luck to you - it's super fun once you jump in!!!!!
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My favorite super-easy recipe is chicken & broccoli. Start a pot of rice per the package directions, and set the timer so you know when it is done. Cut boneless/skinless chicken breast into bite-size chunks. Saute these in a pan with some EVOO until firm, then cut one open to make sure it is done. Now add some bite-size broccoli - you can use the pre-cut kind if you like. Add in a couple tablespoons of water, put a lid on, & saute/steam to your desired tenderness. Pour Lawry's 30 minute Sesame Ginger marinade over all & heat through. Serve with the rice.