1 lb loss monthly... too slow or good rate?

Options
First off, I'm 5'3" and 120 lbs. No matter how good I am at hitting my goal in cals and macros, I am only losing 1 lb every month. I weigh my food and log consistently. Is the slow loss because I'm so close to my goal or should I be doing something different?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why you are trying to lose weight at all...

My sister is 5 ft 3 and weighs 120-125lbs and wears a size 2....

but at your current weight/height 1lb a month is more than enough imho
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm 5'3" and 120 lbs. No matter how good I am at hitting my goal in cals and macros, I am only losing 1 lb every month. I weigh my food and log consistently. Is the slow loss because I'm so close to my goal or should I be doing something different?

If you have a very small goal, you should be aiming for .5lb/week. You also have to factor in water weight, and normal daily fluctuations. Measurements can be a better indicator of progress than the number on a scale.
    At 120lbs, you are within a healthy range for your height. I would say to evaluate your goals, see if you do need to lose more weight, and continue from there. I would suggest looking in to strength training at this point, to see if you can tone up.
  • bowlerae
    bowlerae Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why you are trying to lose weight at all...

My sister is 5 ft 3 and weighs 120-125lbs and wears a size 2....

but at your current weight/height 1lb a month is more than enough imho

I agree with ^^this...but for the sake of trying to get you the information you need. What is your current calorie intake? age?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Well not only are you close to your goal but 1 pound is a significantly larger portion of your total bodyweight than it is for say a 250 pound man.

People should expect to lose a certain % of their total bodyweight over time, not a specific number of pounds. I mean does it make sense for a 120 pound woman to expect to lose weight in terms of pounds at the same rate as someone 2 or 3 times heavier?

To answer your question I think 1 pound a month is fine especially if as you say that is what you can manage to accomplish.
  • YourGirl32
    YourGirl32 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sorry for leaving out important information! I am 32 years old and net 1,450 cals daily. I've lost 48 lbs and want to lose 2-5 more. My goal weight is 120, but I figured I should aim for a few pounds below that so if I start gaining again or if I gain a few pounds after switching to maintenance, I will have a few pounds wriggle room to do that without going ovef my goal weight.
  • fatnutjob
    fatnutjob Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That is pretty slow. You may have hit a plateau?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    That is pretty slow. You may have hit a plateau?

Apologies for mincing words, but plateauing at the goal weight is pretty much maintaining, and that's great! Good job! I do think it's realistic to have a goal "range" of a few pounds vs. a single weight, as we all fluctuate somewhat. Given that you are at your goal, your rate of loss sounds ideal.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Too slow for who? If it's fast enough for you, it's fast enough. If it isn't, then it's not.

Do what makes you happy. :)
  • nomorearmflab
    Options
    I think that your weight loss is fine, Especially if you are so close to your goal. I would suggest just hitting the gym or your choice of exercise a little bit harder, and keeping your cals about the same if you really want to lose that extra couple pounds.