Is there a way to determine individual calories burned?

Options
2»

Replies

• Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    For me, I use a HRM with my workouts, wear my Bodymedia during the day, log my food. I like knowing what I burn every day. could I do it without, sure. But I like the information. Everyone is different:)
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I think gadgets can be great motivators, personally. But it's all estimates.

Your best estimate is free and at your fingertips. You just have to estimate your food log as best you can and monitor your weight. From that you can back out your calorie burn. If you lose a pound a week on average, you're burning 500ish more than you eat on average. If you're eating on average 1500, you're burning on average 2000ish.

I don't know why so few people bother to do it. I guess because few people track intake well enough to trust that number? Or they don't track their intake long enough to get some long term averages? Or because it's math and that deters people?

I consistently try to tell people if you just track results, this is all really easy. But, I think people want things to be hard. So, the gadgets sell.

To each his own, I don't think i would fail if I didn't have them, but I like using them as additional tools to help me suceed.
    My not be for you, but everyone is different.
  • hj1119
    hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

Your best estimate is free and at your fingertips. You just have to estimate your food log as best you can and monitor your weight. From that you can back out your calorie burn. If you lose a pound a week on average, you're burning 500ish more than you eat on average. If you're eating on average 1500, you're burning on average 2000ish.

I don't know why so few people bother to do it. I guess because few people track intake well enough to trust that number? Or they don't track their intake long enough to get some long term averages? Or because it's math and that deters people?

I like gadgets, first of all. Any excuse to take advantage of my amazon prime membership, I'm in ;)

The other thing I love is spreadsheets. So math would not deter me. You should see the Herculean spreadsheet I use to track my finances. It's mindblowing and I spend a few hours a day on it ;)

The reason I'm looking for a gadget is because *in my eyes* there's so many variables in what you are suggesting. They are:

1. I haven't been logging accurately. I know this. I know there is more than one day that I drank 6 beers and logged 3. The first 6 weeks I was 100% honest in my diary, but I was still eyeballing. So I don't have the data, I'd have to create it. Which deters me ;) It sounds like *gasp* effort ;)

This isn't an issue, it's an excuse, but speaking of...

1a. I don't know how alcohol metabolizes, but I really feel like beer calories are different than say, sandwich calories. I have to do my research on this but I'd want to go on a booze-fast if I were going to track my calories to determine my average daily burn number.

2. How often am I stepping on the scale here? Once a week? Once a day? Which leads me to...

3. I don't entirely trust the scale I step on. Even if I'm going for the same time, after I pee, wearing the same clothes, etc... What if it's that time of the month and I'm bloaty? What if I ate a heavy meal the night before and the scale reflected no change from the week before? How can I be sure the reading is accurate unless I ate literally the same thing every day, all day, for weeks on end?
  • hj1119
    Options

I consistently try to tell people if you just track results, this is all really easy. But, I think people want things to be hard. So, the gadgets sell.

So here's my story. I was in a "biggest loser" type challenge for 6 weeks. I tracked my calories as honestly as I could, 100%, without lying to myself. I was estimating, but I tried to estimate fairly and err on the side of deficit if you know what I mean. For example, I'd buy a half pound pork tenderloin, cook it, give more than half of it to my husband and then log 4 ounces of tenderloin.

During this time I was drinking 128+ ounces of water a day as well. I used the same scale, same clothes, same time of day to weigh. I hadn't yet started exercising.

Here are my numbers:

Days 42
    Total calories consumed 52141
    Average calories per day 1241.452381

Starting weight 207.6
    Finishing weight 184.2

Weight lost 23.4
    Weight lost - caloric 81900

Calories consumed + lost 134041
    Average calories burnt / day 3191.452381

This just doesn't feel right to me! What did I do wrong?

ETA: IIFYM says my BMR is: 1572 CALORIES/DAY and my TDEE is: 2162 CALORIES/DAY.

Because I'm a spreadsheet addict, I did the next 50 days as well. During these 7 weeks, I reintroduced beer into my diet but also started light cardio 3x a week and walking the dogs / getting outside more. I also KNOW I was a lot more lax in my intake tracking. Definitely more than one day during this time I logged 3 beers but actually drank 6 (or whatever.)

Days 50
    Total calories consumed 81408
    Average calories per day 1628.16

Starting weight 184.2
    Finishing* weight 173.6

Weight lost 10.6
    Weight lost - caloric 37100

Calories consumed + lost 118508
    Average calories burnt / day 2370.16

So my average over the long period of time looks like this:

Days 92
    Total calories consumed 133549
    Average calories per day 1451.619565

Starting weight 207.6
    Current 173.6

Weight lost 34
    Weight lost - caloric 119000

Calories consumed + lost 252549
    Average calories burnt / day 2745.097826
  • roroinco
    roroinco Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes, get the Bodymedia band. It's what they wear on the Biggest Loser. It works awesome!! You wear it 24/7 (except in the shower or swimming). It will give you your individual calorie burn. I thought about the FitBit but it is still guessing because it is basically a pedometer. Get the Bodymedia!! You won't regret it!!!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I've had a BodyMedia Fit for two years and I've lost over 75 lbs so far... definitely would recommend it.

Definitely worth the $120 down, $6.95 a month eh?
    It most definitely is. There's worse things one can spend $7 a month on.
  • hj1119
    Options
    I've had a BodyMedia Fit for two years and I've lost over 75 lbs so far... definitely would recommend it.

I can amen to that ;)

What makes the BodyMedia fit more accurate than the fitbit?
  • roroinco
    Options

I can amen to that ;)

What makes the BodyMedia fit more accurate than the fitbit?

This is from the Bodymedia website:

The Science
    Your BodyMedia® FIT Armband has multiple sensors. Those innovative sensors take 5 different "views" of your life:

Motion The Armband contains an accelerometer, a device that measures motion. (Your car air bag has an accelerometer in it that lets it know when you've been in an accident.) We use it to measure HOW you move from multiple axis and perspectives, allowing us to better understand your activity.
    Steps We count your steps, using the accelerometer to measure the distinct patterns created by walking and/or running.
    Galvanic Skin Response When you sweat, your skin becomes more electrically conductive. This measurement helps us see how active you are.
    Skin Temperature There's an electronic thermometer inside your armband that helps us know how hot you are.
    Heat Flux When you move, your muscles produce heat. We measure the heat that's flowing from your body into the environment.
    Once we've gotten these "readings" we can determine what kind of exercise you're getting, and how difficult it is for you. That's important since your body burns calories differently than anyone else's.
    Clinically Proven to Accurately Measure the Amount of Physical Activity and Calories
    Our clinically proven algorithms crunch your numbers pairing up sensor data with calorie information and presenting it to you via the BodyMedia FIT Activity Manager & so you know how far you are toward reaching your goals!

BodyMedia FIT is Clinically Proven to be Accurate

The BodyMedia FIT System has been Clinically Proven to Accurately Measure the Amount of Physical Activity and Calories.

A recent independent study tested our Armband system in real-life situations. Participants engaged in "free living" activities, including brisk walking, running, bicycling, sedentary activities, home activities, home repair, occupational activities, strength training, and ball games. The study compared the armband to a $40,000 "portable oxygen analyzer", the gold standard for measuring calories. Results showed:
    • Total Calories for free living activities: mean error <10%.
    • Total Minutes of exercise: mean error <5%.
    Source: British Journal of Sports Medicine. July 2008

I would encourage you to checkout their website www.bodymedia.com. It has a lot of information. From my understanding, Fitbit only senses motion like a pedometer. You can get an optional heartrate monitor to wear but that is not to be meant to be worn continuously like the Bodymedia. I highly recommend Bodymedia link band for accurate results. You can link your Bodymedia account with MFP. I log my food into MFP and it carrysover to Bodymedia. My calorie burn also imports into MFP. It works great!!!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Yes, get the Bodymedia band. It's what they wear on the Biggest Loser. It works awesome!! You wear it 24/7 (except in the shower or swimming). It will give you your individual calorie burn. I thought about the FitBit but it is still guessing because it is basically a pedometer. Get the Bodymedia!! You won't regret it!!!
    It doesn't give you your individual calorie burn. It estimates it just like the Fitbit and everything else. It uses the same main method as the Fitbit (accelerometer) but adds three other skin sensors. I've had both and didn't get any better data from having the thing stuck to me, but some say they did. I prefer the discreet, no-fee Fitbit.

Jawbone who makes the UP device which is just an accelerometer like the Fitbit owns Body Media. I think they just sell to two different markets-- the sporty, $99 market and the Biggest Loser, $129+monthly fee market. If the skin stuff was such an improvement, I think they'd incorporate it on the UP.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Its all an estimate based on population averages. The only truly "accurate" way to measure calories out is to hook you up to a breathing aparatus that measures the output of your breath to determine the exchange rate of O2 and CO2 (which is the determinate of your metabolic activity).

That, of course, isn't practical. Next best thing is considered to be a heartrate monitor with a chest strap. Thing is heartrate monitors are only really semi-accurate in steadystate cardio and crap outside of that. That means if you go for a 45 minute run and for 40 minutes of that your heart is beating in your aerobic range then for that 40 minutes its accurate. If you keep it on after your run as you cool down and go get a drink then it stops being accurate...like at all. HRMs are also not accurate for activities that are anaerobic such as weight lifting or bursts of high intensity.

Want to know how to do it? Be consistent with your methods of ballparking, both calories in and calories out, and keep close track of your progress towards your goals (things like scale weight, tape measurer, bodyfat comp). Relate your progress over time to your in and out calculations and adjust if needed.

Trusting implicitly what a device tells you as being somehow 100% accurate would be a mistake, but as long as you take it with a grain of salt that information can still be useful.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

How does the 2700ish number compare to say a TDEE calculator?

Nice job with the weight loss!

The initial stage might've been thrown off by water weight, so maybe 5-10lbs. of that weight had no caloric value. And of course the missed beers. If you don't like to count all your beers, maybe you could put a 4th section in your food diary for "beers over 3" or something and add them the next morning, just so you have the data in both forms?
  • roroinco
    Options
    [/quote]
    "It doesn't give you your individual calorie burn. It estimates it just like the Fitbit and everything else. It uses the same main method as the Fitbit (accelerometer) but adds three other skin sensors. I've had both and didn't get any better data from having the thing stuck to me, but some say they did. I prefer the discreet, no-fee Fitbit.

Jawbone who makes the UP device which is just an accelerometer like the Fitbit owns Body Media. I think they just sell to two different markets-- the sporty, $99 market and the Biggest Loser, $129+monthly fee market. If the skin stuff was such an improvement, I think they'd incorporate it on the UP."
    [/quote]

Having it "stuck" to me is a reminder to "stick" with it. It doesn't bother me. It's better than having it discreet and throwing it into the washing machine because I forgot it was there. I do feel it is more accurate. To each his own! :happy:
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    That's due to your BMR, which is also factored into the MFP calorie recommendations.

I have a Fitbit that I wear all day every day and it claims I burn 1 cal per minute just sitting still. So when I do cardio I subtract those cals...i.e. Fitbit says I burn, say, 350 cals during a 30 minute run. I record that as 320 cals. It's not exact but it makes me happy.

I know, and that's why I subtract them. I'm not going to give myself "calorie credit" just for keeping my heart pumping. I don't eat all my exercise calories back, but I do need some of them, otherwise I'll be hungry all the time and that will just make me cranky.
  • hj1119
    Options

How does the 2700ish number compare to say a TDEE calculator?

Nice job with the weight loss!

The initial stage might've been thrown off by water weight, so maybe 5-10lbs. of that weight had no caloric value. And of course the missed beers. If you don't like to count all your beers, maybe you could put a 4th section in your food diary for "beers over 3" or something and add them the next morning, just so you have the data in both forms?

Thanks!

I was trying to figure out which of that weight didn't count (initial stage) and why :) The 2700ish isn't too far off I don't think. A TDEE calc puts me at 2100-2200. I make an average of 20-24 ounces of BM throughout the day, and read somewhere it burns 20 calories to make an ounce. So the TDEE calc + milk producing is close to that 2700ish overall. I think I'll spend the next 90 days with my food scale (and being honest about those beers!) and see what I can figure out.

If I don't like to count all my beers, I shouldn't drink em! ;) I do like your idea of adding them the next morning though.
  • hj1119
    Options

Jawbone who makes the UP device which is just an accelerometer like the Fitbit owns Body Media. I think they just sell to two different markets-- the sporty, $99 market and the Biggest Loser, $129+monthly fee market. If the skin stuff was such an improvement, I think they'd incorporate it on the UP."

I very much appreciate this post. I've been considering the Fitbit and the Up - and now the BodyMedia - so this is nice info, thank you!
  • lajohnson1959
    lajohnson1959 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

The first year is free I believe, and there are ways to avoid paying the 6.95/month after your first year....

I would like to know how you avoid paying the 6.95 per month. I only got three months free. I have a Notebook II and for the three months it was free I could look at what I burned with the app on my phone. Seems like now that I have to pay, the only way for me to sync is to plug it into my laptop when I get home. I was told I would still need to pay the monthly fee even though I could no longer use my phone app.