Hula hoop keeps rattling down around my ankles - help!

Options
yogicarl
yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong please. I have a 40" hoop which is about 1lb in weight and I am 5'3", about 20lbs overweight.

I was disappointed with the weight of the hoop but the suppliers said they would refund the hoop cost if I sent it back to them - it will cost the price of the hoop to return it so they're laughing really.

They said the concept of a weighted hoop was a recent gimmick and some hoops were so heavy as to cause internal damage to organs as well as bruising, so they are holding to their opinion that the hoop is the correct weight and it is technique I am lacking.

- any tips please?

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    It probably has to do with the speed you're doing it. You may need to speed up a bit (physics), especially if it's weighted.

Try giving it an upward hip bump once in a while?

ETA: At least the more you drop it, the more you have to bend to pick it up and likely the more calories you're burning :D
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong please. I have a 40" hoop which is about 1lb in weight and I am 5'3", about 20lbs overweight.

I was disappointed with the weight of the hoop but the suppliers said they would refund the hoop cost if I sent it back to them - it will cost the price of the hoop to return it so they're laughing really.

They said the concept of a weighted hoop was a recent gimmick and some hoops were so heavy as to cause internal damage to organs as well as bruising, so they are holding to their opinion that the hoop is the correct weight and it is technique I am lacking.

- any tips please?

Not an expert. I have a weighted hoop...have yet to master it. Need to try this again :blushing: Crazy, because I could do this when I was a kid.

Anyway....the hoop should come up to your belly button....smaller hoops are more difficult

Here's a beginner routine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0visc3p6uAA
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My youngest daughter wins every hula hoop competition she enters. If you watch her she barely moves, it is more a rocking hip motion and rhythm matters most. Circling your hips will cause you to drop it. Watching her is nuts, you can trow them at her and she will catch them and have multiple going at once. The weighted ones are easier she likes the ones with water in them, but says that's cheating :flowerforyou:
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have a hula hoop just for fun and I have YET to keep it up. OMG! I don't remember it being this hard as a kid.

....In for technique tips.
  • ParkerPoseyPox
    Options
    I'm wickedly good at hula hooping. No clue why either.

My advice is to, generally, stand in a relaxed "warrior pose". One foot ahead and toes pointed forward. The other foot should be slightly behind you with your toes pointed at about 45 degrees away from you. Shift your weight from one to the other gently. It works best when you aren't thinking about it. Focus on music or TV or anything else. Then, with the shifting of your weight, follow that with your hips. Imagine your body is that parachute from elementary school. Sweet ripples of movement. The wave. The ocean. From top to bottom, roll your body while shifting your weight. I promise that most people have trouble because they force it. It should be an easy motion. Once you get it, you can do it for 20-30 minutes at a time without even realizing it.

I hope my rambling made ANY sense at all. Either way, don't give up!

You never get worse at something by practicing. :)
  • meluhneekay
    Options
    Can't give too much advice because I'm an infrequent hooper, but definitely keep the hoop just above your navel. When I first got into hooping I had no idea what I was doing and I ended up with some pretty gnarly bruises on my hip bones and shins, because I'd let the hoop circle my hips and kinda bang its way down my shins. Ouchies. Big no-no.

As for technique...okay bear with me, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to word this. Once you get the hoop going (by slinging it around your waist with with your hands), instead of actually circling your hips, you want to kind of do a...pelvic thrust sort of move? Instead of moving your hips side to side, move front to back. Start by keeping your feet a little better than hip width apart, and then once you get the hang of it, you can start moving your feet closer together and even start moving and kinda awkwardly dancing with the hoop, which is totally fun. It really is a fun workout, you'll definitely feel the burn in your abs after doing it for a while.

And for the love of all that's good in the world, when you want to stop the hoop, stop it with your hands! Do not let it shimmy down your shins, or else you're bound to wake up the next day black and blue.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone - I'm loving the feedback and definitely gonna give it all a go tomorrow - its a bit late to go clattering about!
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I can't hula hoop (well I don't actually try very hard), but watching kids do it - there is one thing between the 'cans' and the 'can'ts' - the 'cans' put their arms up in the air really high, the 'can'ts' bend them in front.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    They're right about the weight of the hoop. Even with a light hoop, expect to get some nasty bruises after your first few sessions really keeping the hoop up... Use arnica oil and don't continue hooping after that till the bruises have healed, but then you probably won't get them again.

As to keeping the hoop up, it just takes practice. One day you'll get it and it'll just seem so easy. In the meantime, here's one thing to focus on that may help: The goal is to always keep your body in contact with the hoop. When you get the rhythm of the hoop's motion, you'll move your body to meet it in the same place every rotation. As another poster said, you don't make a circular motion with your body, but a back and forth motion. OR side to side - whatever's most comfortable for you.

And one tip that may help while you get the hang of it: You can "slow the hoop down" by turning your whole body (meaning, feet and all) in the same direction the hoop is spinning. This gives you more time to react.

I was going to add the Deanne Love video, but I see someone else has linked it up. She gives very good tips... Well worth a watch.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Waist hooping is more of a rocking, back and forth motion. Most people try to roll their hips or do hip circles. Try turning with the hook (in the same direction) if it starts to fall.
  • tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I have a hula hoop and I just got how to keep the thing up lol agrees with the other posters it's more of a hip thrusting motion, just keep practicing :smile: