McDonalds New DIET Sweet Tea

Options
hncall01
hncall01 Posts: 152 Member
I recently saw where they came out with the new Diet Sweet Tea and decided to give it a go today. I was skeptical of how it would taste since I love their regular sweet tea but don't drink it too often. I went with a friend this morning and ended up buying one...Let me just say that it taste Fabulous! The one thing I am curious about it the nutrition factor of it. McDonald's website doesn't have it up there yet because it's a test item right now to see if it does well. I've looked on here and just searching on Google and can't find anything. I know some diet items aren't zero calories or whatever else, but I was just curious if anyone else knew something I didn't about it. Good, Bad, Ugly, Run away as fast as you can? If anyone has any details of what may be in it or what it is sweetened with, calories, anything, let me know!! =]

Replies

• ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm willing to bet it's got some sort of artificial sweetener in it......whether it be aspartame, equal, Splenda, etc.....

Now if it's sweetened with Xylitol, Stevia, etc.....that's a big +1 to McDonald's......in my book......but I highly doubt it lol.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I did a quick Google search. Someone with the same question as you contacted McDonalds. the short answer is the ingredients are: Water, Orange Pekoe and Pekoe Cut Black Tea, Aspartame, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium

The last three ingredients are all artificial sweeteners. It is up to you if you want to consume artificial sweeteners. You need to do the research and make that decision for yourself.
  • nickylee76
    nickylee76 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I had not even heard of this until now. You have made my day.... I love sweet tea. I just hope they have it in my area.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I don't see any issue with drinking this tea in moderation. Drinking it every day might not be the greatest idea, but if it makes it's way to South Carolina, I'll definitely be trying it. McDonalds has some pretty awesome sweet tea, so I'm interested to see how close the taste is to the real thing.
  • Terrappyn1
    Terrappyn1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a sweet tea gal but I do enjoy their large unsweetened iced tea with lemon and 1 Splenda (the only t hing I ever put Splenda in). So delicious and for $1.00 how can you go wrong!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I'm not much of a sweet tea gal but I do enjoy their large unsweetened iced tea with lemon and 1 Splenda (the only t hing I ever put Splenda in). So delicious and for $1.00 how can you go wrong!

^This. Stevia I use at home, for coffee or tea. But, I'm also not afraid of my occasional Splenda or (gasp!) aspartame. I just put Splenda packets (1-2 MAX) in the unsweetened tea, but if McD's is doing a "diet" sweet tea, I'm excited to give it a try. Sometimes, carbonated colas (diet or regular) give me the gas, lol!
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    We don't have Chik Fil A on Long Island, but the McDonald's sweet tea and Southern chicken sandwich were pretty decent substitutes. Haven't had it in a long, long time. Thanks for the heads up on the diet tea!
  • slgsleepy
    slgsleepy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I hope they make this a thing! I used to love McDonals Tea, but it's simply too sweet for me now, even on occasion.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    diet sweet tea sounds even worse then regular sweet tea..
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it taste really artificial?
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options

Artificial is delicious.
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I love their sweet tea but quit drinking it due to the number of calories - even if I only had it once in awhile.....now this I will indulge in if it ever comes my way :)
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've had it. It tastes good at first but it has a funny aftertaste like pretty much every drink with artificial sweeteners.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Whelp as someone who has done her research into artificial sweeteners, concluded they're fine by me, enjoys a few diet ginger ales a day, and doesn't suffer any ill effects or gross after tastes: This is right up my alley.

Good to know
  • GunterRose
    GunterRose Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My version of a diet sweet tea is half sweet, half unsweet. Usually is still plenty sweet and has half the calories! Makes it easier to fit when I am really craving it! :)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Whelp as someone who has done her research into artificial sweeteners, concluded they're fine by me, enjoys a few diet ginger ales a day, and doesn't suffer any ill effects or gross after tastes: This is right up my alley.

Good to know

I know right? I suggested this to McD a year ago, I am glad they took my idea. Yeah I am claiming this as my idea. :laugh: :tongue:
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    I don`t even look in the direction of a McDonalds anymore. I figure a glace driving by is 200 calories and 500 sodium at minimum.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

I suppose that would be on an individual basis. I have no clue what people are talking about when they say "artificial taste or aftertaste" as I have never experienced it. Luck me cause I thoroughly enjoy my diet sodas.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    A lot of people here in SC seem to be doing 1/2 and 1/2 tea. 1/2 sweet and 1/2 unsweet. Just because people here in the south make it so sweet. I grew up drinking sweet tea here, but I can no longer drink it. too sweet.