I wanna put on my boogie shoes! (zumba question)

Options
LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
... But I don't know which shoes they are!?

I took my first Zumba class on Monday, and I'm taking another tomorrow. My question... what's the best footwear to wear? I took ballroom dance ages ago, so I'm used to leather bottom heels that slide well on the hardwood floor. The floor where I'm taking classes is painted. Not sure of the surface underneath. It felt freshly painted, judging by the traction I got from my running shoes. Better traction than the snow tires on my truck!

Now, I know there's no way I could do a Zumba workout in the three inch heels I'm used to dancing in, and I'd fall on my tushie in my comfy toning walking sneaks, but would some other kind of sneaker work better? Aerobic sneakers, maybe? Do they even still MAKE them? Or just a pair of comfy sneaks that might be a bit worn on the bottom?

Replies

• karistrickler
    karistrickler Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A lot of my friends who do Zumba everyday bought special shoes made for Zumba. I'm not sure what kind they are but they were easier of the knees and feet while doing the dance moves. Maybe you could google?
  • netgirl224
    Options
    I bought dance sneakers for when I do Zumba :) You can usually find them pretty cheap in the clearance section of dancewear websites if you dont mind what colour they are! I think I got mine for like 8 bucks plus shipping..they had originally been 70 something! the best thing to do is just to good dance sneaker and see what comes up..there are tons of diff styles so you can find what you like the best..mine are low cut and split sole so they work really well for me :)

Good Luck!
  • Shaunda2011
    Options
    Hi,
    One of my best friends is a Zumba instructor and she loves Pumas for class. They're lightweight and easy to move in. Goodluck! Zumba is such a wonderful workout!:smile:
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I use split sole trainers. They make it much easier to dance than regular trainers
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I just wear my regular running shoes & they work perfectly fine. It's the rest of my body that has issues ;) haha
  • Momma2r
    Options
    Hi! Zumba is so much fun! I've been going since last March and I wear Nike Musique IV that I bought on Zappos. They are super felixble and comfy... I think they were about $60 but if you go a few times a week then I think you get your money out of them! Hope that helps! :happy:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all! I didn't know there WAS such a thing as dance sneakers!

Aside from my sticky shoes, dyslexia (move left... no, the OTHER left!), and two left feet, I think I did ok on the foot movement parts. It's getting my arms to cooperate that was the problem.

There wasn't a lot of arm work at good ol' Arthur Murrays. :laugh:
  • sgeorgia
    sgeorgia Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I second the Nike Musique dance shoe. Just started wearing them and they are absolutely perfect for zumba.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I just wear my regular running shoes & they work perfectly fine. It's the rest of my body that has issues ;) haha

no doubt my body doesn't keep up to my shoes...but i don't recommend wearing cross trainers, i almost broke my ankle last night trying to step to the side...
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options
    I got mine (puma) online they were labelled as a hip hop dance sneaker. It made a huge difference for me. They have a regular sneaker sole but on the ball area of the sole there is a leather pad for sliding or turning/spinning. They were in the under the clearance tab and were less than 25$ with shipping. I cannot remember the name of the actual place but I probably found them through Amazon ( My name is Staci and I am an Amazon Addict)
  • theatr3geek
    Options
    I used jazz sneakers. I'm a dancer, so I'm used to dance shoes and doing zumba in jazz sneakers works brilliantly!
  • Madiann
    Madiann Posts: 177
    Options
    Bump