yoga

Options
kms1104
kms1104 Posts: 110 Member
Due to some health issues, I shouldn't be doing "stressful" exercising. I took yoga in college, and LOVED it, so figured I would begin there. I know the best way to learn and do yoga is in person, but currently that won't fit in my budget. Anyone have any good- not too 'pop cultury' dvd suggestions I can do at home?

Replies

• daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I am interested in the answers! I have a bad knee that will not get better and have considered yoga for those with arthritis. Experts?
  • jiagetsfit
    jiagetsfit Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    ddp yoga is good
  • Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    There are hundreds of yoga routines on YouTube. You can ask for type or a body part or a time length or "beginner".......
  • criticaltodd
    Options
    I'm on week 4 of DDP Yoga and I like it.

I've also been dabbling with some "regular" yoga routines. Beyond youtube, there's also a bunch of apps for iPhone/iPad (and Android too, I'm sure) that cover yoga.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    There's a good channel on YouTube called Eckhart Yoga and I regularly do their 20 min sequence for runners.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I suggest going to your local library and checking out some videos. There are also good books, if you really want to delve deep into poses and not just follow along.

DDP is a little gimmicky for my taste. If you want good quality instruction, find someone that has dedicated their life to teaching yoga. Patricia Walden, Rodney Yee, etc. There are good free videos out there - on youtube and on podcast (yoga journal has one) - but there are also some less than stellar videos.

If you go the youtube, video, or podcast route, my advice is this: if you cannot figure out how to do the pose by the person explaining it and/or the poses seem dangerous, stay away from those videos. There are videos out there from people that have a wonderful personal practice but cannot clearly explain how to do the pose. There are videos of people doing amazing things, that no one should try without teacher supervision - or an extremely dedicated practice.

As far as arthritis goes, any movement should be good for the knee - walking, tai chi, etc. There are some things in yoga that would be counter indicated, but you would either need to go to a class for those, or be very familiar with your own body.
  • cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am also a DDP Yoga fan. It is not traditional yoga. If you have a tablet of smartphone and prefer the more traditional, look for "Yoga Studio" in the app store.
  • seamstar
    seamstar Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with yoginimary.
    ddp not for my taste either.
    I use Rodney Yee dvd's from the library. Great instruction!
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    You're right a class would be preferable especially since you're a beginner. Is there a YMCA around?
    For DVD's, I do like Rodney Yee. I used his videos a long time ago at the beginning of my practice and really enjoyed them.
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    google "heartfelt yoga" or Abby Lentz - I suggest one of her videos.
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    anyone needing pose modifications, google the asanas you want to try and "pose modification" and you should be able to locate a few options. Good luck!
  • fit_gal
    fit_gal Posts: 167
    Options
    Due to some health issues, I shouldn't be doing "stressful" exercising. I took yoga in college, and LOVED it, so figured I would begin there. I know the best way to learn and do yoga is in person, but currently that won't fit in my budget. Anyone have any good- not too 'pop cultury' dvd suggestions I can do at home?

I don't know your health issues, but I have arthritis and fibro and I was told to try Pilates or tai chi and to avoid yoga (for my conditions) as there are lots of twists and bends etc.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have several Yoga Zone beg workouts are they are good.

I have all three Crunch Yoga's with Sarah Ivanhoe and she's wonderful (Candlelight Yoga is an evening favorite of mine).
  • swertyqwerty
    swertyqwerty Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    http://www.reddit.com/r/yoga/comments/1wiei3/after_1_year_of_daily_practice_i_filmed_a_yoga/

It's a link to a post by a girl who did yoga every day for a year for free. She listed the resources she used and she posted a video of herself doing a routine. Her postures are actually really good so I would check out her resources.
  • kms1104
    kms1104 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Yeah, don't want the "gimiky" yoga, so will check it out. Wanted something NOT electronic based, so I can put it on the big screen and feel like I'm "there"... don't want the mess of hooking up the computer, etc. to the TV, and my TV isn't an internet hooked up TV. Library sounds like a great place to start, too!

Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • jenbroussard71
    jenbroussard71 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Bumping for suggestions.
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    my cable tv system offers free programs. Some are yoga. I know Cox and Verizon both offer these sorts of things free.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    You should check out PiYo. It is a combination of Pilates & Yoga. New DVD just released by the same people who make Insanity, P90X and T25. Its made to be gentle on the joints while still getting a great burn.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've also seen yoga on PBS.
    Also, you could probably find some affordable used DVD's on Amazon.
  • G_RRR
    G_RRR Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I also love, love, Sara Ivanhoe's 20 Min Yoga Makeover dvds