8 weeks in and realizing a big mistake - HELP

Options
Hi there,

I'm 21, Canada, and have been trying to learn how to run for the last eight weeks. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to log, what a deficit is, if I'm doing it correctly, and what I need to lose weight. I just thought if I ate better, and worked out it would be fine, but I am gaining weight........ I need help, I am becoming really unmotivated and I feel like I have just wasted these last eight weeks.... though I was unable to run for more than 60 seconds and now I am up to 28 minutes - that in itself is something I am proud of... but I just don't understand what I am doing wrong.

Please feel free to add me as a friend, my diary is open to public too I believe.

Replies

• ahannem1
    ahannem1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Im not sure if I am answering your question that you asked, but I will try!- There is a great app called Argus, which will log everything from gps location ran / time of running..etc...etc. I take data from it and enter it in the myfitnesspal app. Its even got a step counter built into it too. I hope this answers your question. And good luck! -and btw..great work with the running !
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    What's your big mistake???
  • WINEYINVA
    WINEYINVA Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary's last entry you are not eating enough. you should be eating at the very minimum 1200 calories a day and you need at least one gram of protein per pound of body weight. If you don't eat enough your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto everything there fore you wont lose weight.
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    I would try to walk a route that you like, walk it for a week or two, then possibly run half way and walk the other and build yourself up to get on long runs

Dont get too frustrated and quit yet, you can definately do it, always make sure you are in the green and + in calories, you want to make sure you are putting out more than putting in your body
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=your+guide+to+getting+started+

Here you go read this

Op you either aren't logging at all. Or you're only eating 700cals a day? - MFP will set your daily goal for you. Or you can work out your TDEE if you don't want to eat back your exercise deficit if you are unsure of this.
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Honey, is that all you're eating?? 700 calories a day? Please try and see your calories as a goal, and not a strict limit. Especially at 1200. You've done a great thing, learning to run - but feed yourself more food. 700 is not nearly enough.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary's last entry you are not eating enough. you should be eating at the very minimum 1200 calories a day and you need at least one gram of protein per pound of body weight. If you don't eat enough your body will go into starvation mode and hold onto everything there fore you wont lose weight.

Unlikely. Seriously unlikely. The starvation mode of lore, from the actual university study, doesn't mean people with severe calorie deficits stop losing weight. They just lose it slower for the same level of activity.

If the "starvation mode" as described and referred here so much was true, no one would starve to death. Which unfortunately still happens.

My guess? Improper logging and estimation.
  • Lletnek
    Lletnek Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Looking back through your diary, I'm assuming you're not logging everything you're eating, especially as some days are empty. It's crucial to log everything you eat, and weigh your food and measure liquids (that have calories).

Make sure you eat at least 1200 a day, especially if you're running. Running will burn a lot of calories, and if you're not eating enough back your body will definitely stop you losing weight.

You will also build muscle while running, this will increase weight if you don't lose enough fat to balance it out.

Also, I'm only passing this on by what I've heard, but I believe your metabolism is a lot faster after exercise, so try and eat after running to be the most efficient.

Finally, drink a lot of water if you're running.
  • erbearorbust
    Options
    Go here >>> http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/
    Once you do all the calculations, go into Goals on the myfitnesspal app (has to be the online site as the goals option isn't available on the phone app) and choose custom setting, then enter the numbers you've calculated. My recommendation is to eat your maintenance calories for a week or two to make sure you've calculated the right amount for maintenance (ie. your weight shouldn't change) and then dial it back from there about 250cal at a time to be at a reasonable deficit...these are words you'll learn if you go to that website and educate yourself. Remember, slow and steady! Don't get caught up with the number on the scale. I have stayed at 148lbs throughout the last 15 weeks of training but I have lost inches/dress sizes and constantly increasing my weights. Go to the website and educate yourself, it'll help I promise! And your running progress is fantastic!!!
  • kaylacovin
    Options
    I didn't finish eating today.... hahahhaa and my problem is I don't know how much or how little to eat, what a deficit is!
  • LambrettaVVespa
    LambrettaVVespa Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Do you track everything you eat and drink? If not, do so. If you do, you aren't consuming enough calories to ensure continual and steady weight loss. I notice you earned around 238 calories from exercise one day but even taking that into account you were still below what you should really be consuming. Some days don't have anything added, which may also be a contributing factor. Even on a weekend, try to track everything you consume.

Remember, you've dramatically improved your cardio (which, by the way, is an amazing result) which means you may have increased your muscle mass (especially in the legs) which will actually add weight. Also, I wouldn't track every little bit of exercise you do.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I didn't finish eating today.... hahahhaa and my problem is I don't know how much or how little to eat, what a deficit is!

OP read the link I posted it will explain everything you need to know to start off.

OP it is highly doubtful you will be "gaining weight from muscle" after 8wks of running C25K from the sounds of it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=your+guide+to+getting+started+

Here you go read this

Op you either aren't logging at all. Or you're only eating 700cals a day? - MFP will set your daily goal for you. Or you can work out your TDEE if you don't want to eat back your exercise deficit if you are unsure of this.
    READ THAT THREAD^^^^^^
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

How do those people in poor countries get to be just skin and bone? You know...the places where they don't have enough food to eat. How did they lose so much weight? Many of them eat below 1200.

Never mind...

Oh...and I am fairly sure that the recommendation is 1 gram of protein per LBM. If it was body weight a very obese person would be eating a lot of protein.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

The deficit is built in to what MFP gives you for your calorie goal. My suggestion is to read through the sexypants link. There is a lot of valuable information in there.

I did not look at your diary, but I will say that in my own experience, my best results occur when I track honestly and consistently. Weigh all foods on a scale, especially calorie dense foods like peanut butter. Measure liquids in a cup/spoon.

This is a process that takes time and occasional reevaluation to get what works.
  • Bianca0134
    Options
    Are you eating enough calories? When you burn calories are you eating them again? You have to eat the calories you burn in order to loose... Hope this helps you do not give up!
  • LambrettaVVespa
    LambrettaVVespa Posts: 26 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=your+guide+to+getting+started+ - Remember to read that, and all the threads in "Getting Started".

1. From what I can see, most of your days you are consuming less than you should. The MyFitnessPal (MFP) apps and website both tell you your estimated target calorie intake. You can also use the calculator on this page to work out how many calories you should be consuming: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

2. A calorie deficit. Uhm. I'm not sure how to explain this - it's really simple but I'm not a pro at communication. Someone else could probably give a better explanation. A calorie deficit is basically the amount of leftover calories you have at the end of the day, after taking into account the basal metabolic rate (the amount of calories your body burns doing, essentially, not much at all) and any exercise. If you don't consume the amount of calories your burn off (through exercise and basal metabolic rate), you will have a calorie deficit. A small calorie deficit is good for losing weight but a large calorie deficit can be unhealthy or even dangerous.

3. Make sure you keep tracking your food. Everyday. It may seem tedious but it will help. Use the calorie calculator linked in this post to work out an estimate of how many you need to consume and try to consume that amount of calories during the day.

Don't give up. It's not too late and it's not all for nothing.
  • melsal9902
    melsal9902 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You really need to eat more. I use the runkeeper app. It uses your GPS on your phone and you can set it to sync with your MFP account. This will help you log any running/walking that you do so there is no mistake. I wish I could run for 28 minutes. I am good for a 28 minute/3-4mph walk. Do not get discouraged, but eat more!!!!
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options

That makes me feel better about today. :) But today isn't the only low calorie day in your diary. Do you always eat in addition to what you log? That could be tripping you up.

Definitely read the Sexypants link a few other posters have put in here. It's long, you'll need to take your time, but it's information worth knowing. There's no reason to be miserable, or make your body miserable. That's no way to live.

And again - great job with your running! You're doing a great thing for yourself!
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Your big mistake is your starving yourself, with the exercise you need at least 1500-1800 calories, your gaining weight cause your body is holding onto the food when your eating, up your calories <3 goodluck