Cheat days - do you or don't you?

Options

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I prefer "free" days.
    I fit everything into my macros, but there's some days where I don't care. I create enough of a deficit and am on my feet enough that I don't feel the need to "cheat" (and hate the word). It never throws me off.
    Those days I tend to eat around maintenance, or close to it.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I don't refer to them as Cheat Days, and I never do them for an entire day.

Call them Treat Meals, and make them few and far between and as a reward for something great. Just don't use them as rewards for weight loss goals. or you'll set yourself back a few days while your system purges again.
  • becky4m
    becky4m Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do have cheat days. They are normally not planned. Its like oh we are eating out twice today... It only happens once or twice a month. But I allow myself to have whatever I want in large amounts. Like Mexican food. Ummm... I eat way to much. But I do not say no to whatever I want on a daily basis. I have it and include it in my daily intake.
  • sheedy17
    sheedy17 Posts: 128
    Options
    i find giving myself a cheat day allows me to eat better for 6 days in the week, I sometimes struggle to not eat some chips or chocolate early on, but when I choose to start rewarding myself every saturday, I look forward to that date, I push hard to get to that date, I also think before I choose a snack and say this can wait until saturday etc. i think everyone should cheat
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm not taking a test and I don't believe in diets, so no I don't believe in cheat days, I simply eat what I want and log everything, I do try to restrict the amount of food I eat after 8pm, but in my job that isn't always easy.... Some days my diary is shockingly *kitten*, but usually within my calories and other days it's healthy, but it's over my calories - people can judge me for the food I've consumed, but they can never take away my accomplishments!

I do sometimes do extra exercise of I've had a particularly high calorie day, or I know I'm going to have one (we had a family BBQ on Sunday, so I got up earlier than usual and did 90 minutes at the gym, instead of my usual 60 minutes)....

That said, I do have one major weakness - McDonald's milkshakes, so I only allow myself one of them on my official weigh-in day every month (my next weigh-in/milkshake day is Monday 30th June and it can't come round fast enough, I've been craving a Maccies milkshake for days).

It's each to their own, you have to learn what is best for you.

xXx
  • wildlotus
    wildlotus Posts: 8
    Options
    I'd like to humbly point out the connection between "cheat meals" (I prefer to call them refeeds) and giving your metabolism a little boost via hormones (i.e. leptin, etc.):

"The concept of 'cheat meal' is often confused with "cheat day" or " trash day". As its name implies, cheat meal presupposes a meal of "cheating", outside the usual dietary restrictions, and not all day. The aim is precisely to increase leptin leading to a metabolic reactivation. In this regard, carbohydrates are particularly effective as insulin stimulation in a sensitive environment favors leptin production. Thus, the cheat meal should be rich in carbohydrates, or even sugars."

Source: http://www.metabolicedge.net/2013/10/the-importance-of-cheat-meals-and-how.html

So theoretically if you're going to do it, it's better to focus more on higher carbs instead of higher fat (i.e. a big bowl of pasta with meat sauce instead of a cheeseburger and fries). But I highly recommend researching how a strategic refeeding can impact hormone levels. And of course, there is the psychological aspect as well. Really guys, not a dog? That's a little harsh. People enjoy food too...
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I mean I do have a higher calorie day or two every week, but I go by weekly averages, so I don't really care if I go higher one day as long as my average at the end of the week comes out to under my TDEE. I usually aim to average 2000 calories. So usually I'll have one 3,000 calorie day and then maybe 1800 calories for most of the rest of the week and it works out fine, or I'll just eat closer to 2000 every day. It all works out the same in the end, as long as you take in less calories than you burn, you'll lose weight.

So for example, I'm going out to dinner this week (Thursday night) and I already know that I'm going to have a higher calorie day because of it - I've already calculated the calories in the meal I plan to order, because they have their nutritional info online, and my dinner comes out to about 2000 calories. So that day, I'll probably have a normal breakfast and lunch, and my total will come out to between 2500 and 3000 calories. I'm still going to stay on track the rest of the week and make sure to stay low enough the other days to come out with a low enough average at the end of the week. It's never hindered my progress, and giving myself a little bit of freedom within reason makes the restriction the rest of the time a lot more bearable.

Everyone tracks differently, but however you choose to look at your calories, I'd suggest that if you do cheat days, not to go completely off the rails. Have a higher calorie day within reason. Track everything, just like you normally do. It's very easy to go overboard when you're not tracking, especially when you've been keeping to a strict deficit for a long time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    IMO, the entire concept lacks perspective. There seems to be this necessity to label foods as "good" or "bad" without taking into account context and dosage. Just about anything you can think of can be consumed as a part of an overall well balanced and nutritious diet. If I have a doughnut for breakfast, it doesn't negate the nutrition I take in the rest of the day. If I have a couple slices of pizza for dinner, it does not negate the nutrition I've taken in earlier in the day. Unfortunately, people have this all or nothing mentality that ultimately leads to this kind of lack of perspective and small picture thinking.

To that end, even having a crummy day here and there where you really aren't hitting your nutritional requirements doesn't matter in the larger picture so long as you are hitting on your nutrition most of the time. Add to that, overindulgence and/or overeating on occasion never hurt anyone either...it's routinely overeating and overindulging that is the issue.

So again, I think the concept of a "cheat meal" or a "cheat day" completely lacks perspective and shows an inability or reluctance to see the much bigger picture and get out of the minutia that tends to trap people.
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I do have a cheat day, two in fact. However, lately I have just been exercising for what I crave or just fitting it in to my allotted calories which might result in eating a smaller lunch and dinner...
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    I don't have an assigned cheat day.....if its someone's birthday or something, I'll adjust my eating throughout the day, to try to allocate for a piece of cake or something, so my calorie totals are still meetng my goals.

Maybe when I hit maintenance, I'll do the cheat day thing...but right now everything is going well, and its too easy for me to screw up with my love for junk and goodies.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    IMO, the entire concept lacks perspective. There seems to be this necessity to label foods as "good" or "bad" without taking into account context and dosage.
    My planned cheat days are all about dosage. I won't necessarily eat anything different -- ok, cranberry sauce and turkey skin aren't usually on my menu lately -- but I will have more than a sliver of chocolate pie, oh yes I will.
  • rawhidenadz
    Options
    IMO, the entire concept lacks perspective. There seems to be this necessity to label foods as "good" or "bad" without taking into account context and dosage. Just about anything you can think of can be consumed as a part of an overall well balanced and nutritious diet. If I have a doughnut for breakfast, it doesn't negate the nutrition I take in the rest of the day. If I have a couple slices of pizza for dinner, it does not negate the nutrition I've taken in earlier in the day. Unfortunately, people have this all or nothing mentality that ultimately leads to this kind of lack of perspective and small picture thinking.

To that end, even having a crummy day here and there where you really aren't hitting your nutritional requirements doesn't matter in the larger picture so long as you are hitting on your nutrition most of the time. Add to that, overindulgence and/or overeating on occasion never hurt anyone either...it's routinely overeating and overindulging that is the issue.

So again, I think the concept of a "cheat meal" or a "cheat day" completely lacks perspective and shows an inability or reluctance to see the much bigger picture and get out of the minutia that tends to trap people.

Wow . . . get off your high horse.
  • eggomylegos
    eggomylegos Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Nope, no cheat days for me. I haven't given up any foods to lose weight. Instead, I reduced the portion sizes. On days when I want something especially sugary or fattening, I add in a solid workout or long hike to keep me at my calorie goal.

Also, as a recovering binge eater, I find that cheat days are too reminiscent of my old habits. Eating tasty food every day while still losing weight already feels like a treat. It's sustainable for the long term, and I don't run the risk of blowing my entire week with one day of extreme indulgence.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options

Wow . . . get off your high horse.

Not sure how he is on a high horse - sounds good advice to me, and delivered in a logical and rational way.

I don't do cheat meals/ days either - not because I eat perfectly healthy all the time but because I just vary my intake and consider treats/ indulgences etc in moderation and within my weekly calorie goal (or sometimes even not within it) as part of life.

But I get that for some people planned cheat days can work - obviously as long as they don't over do it and wipe out the deficit of the other days.
  • jwat90
    jwat90 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a cheat "day" because I don't trust myself to not complete derail. So what I like to do is like on Sunday after church, sometimes my family and I will go out to eat. Then I will get a cheat meal that I typically wouldn't during the rest of the week. But I still try to estimate the calories the best I can and log it into my food diary, and if it goes over my limit, then it does but just for that day. It's like a little reward without completely throwing me off track. Hope this helps!
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving will be a cheat day. The week of Christmas will probably be at maintenance.

Last T-day I cooked and logged T-day the day before based on my recipes. I didn't deprive myself of seconds or thirds because the calculations came out so low. If someone else was cooking, that would have been a problem.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I cheat like a dog. It may slow down my weight loss but losing weight isn't worth it if my sanity goes along with it.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    it works for some people but its not for everyone :)
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I also eat what I want within my macros... I also don't believe in good or bad foods.

That said, I don't think doing that is mutually exclusive with the concept of "cheat days". While I try to hit my macros most of the time, some days - usually at some social engagement, or day trip - I will not log. I will not even remotely care or think about my calories in fact. I will assuredly be over them - often in booze alone.

I sometimes refer to these as "cheat days".

Does that mean I lack perspective, or I am caught up in the minutia? I personally don't think so. I simply don't care about a turn of phrase like "cheat day". Just because I use that phrase, it doesn't mean I inherently feel guilty or "bad". Quite the opposite, I love these days and even consider them a reward. Now according to page one - maybe that makes me a dog of course - but...

jay-z-not-the-prez-big.jpg

I have been able to easily make these days work in the larger picture. It keeps me happy. It keeps me social. It makes memories - albeit some of them lost...

If you have a bad relationship with food - then maybe the label of "cheat" can be detrimental. However, no matter what you call it - the key is finding what personally works for you and your lifestyle. Be it a cheat day, cheat meal, IIFYM, a day you go over calories but don't label it as cheating...whatever.

edit: pls ignore horrible grammar this was way too long to try and type on phone LOL
  • rawhidenadz
    Options
    I also eat what I want within my macros... I also don't believe in good or bad foods.

That said, I don't think doing that is mutually exclusive with the concept of "cheat days". While I try to hit my macros most of the time, some days - usually at some social engagement, or day trip - I will not log. I will not even remotely care or think about my calories in fact. I will assuredly be over them - often in booze alone.

I sometimes refer to these as "cheat days".

Does that mean I lack perspective, or I am caught up in the minutia? I personally don't think so. I simply don't care about a turn of phrase like "cheat day". Just because I use that phrase, it doesn't mean I inherently feel guilty or "bad". Quite the opposite, I love these days and even consider them a reward. Now according to page one - maybe that makes me a dog of course - but...

jay-z-not-the-prez-big.jpg

I have been able to easily make these days work in the larger picture. It keeps me happy. It keeps me social. It makes memories - albeit some of them lost...

If you have a bad relationship with food - then maybe the label of "cheat" can be detrimental. However, no matter what you call it - the key is finding what personally works for you and your lifestyle. Be it a cheat day, cheat meal, IIFYM, a day you go over calories but don't label it as cheating...whatever.

edit: pls ignore horrible grammar this was way too long to try and type on phone LOL

Exactly. I use the phrase "cheat day" because it's easier for other people to get what I mean, but I don't think of overeating one day as a "cheat" because I try not to think of food that way. I'm not really "cheating" if my calories come out to an overall deficit, I'm just choosing to spend more calories on certain days because it's more psychologically satisfying to let myself enjoy a nice restaurant meal or some birthday cake or whatever once in a while, and I would rather not skip breakfast to eat a donut or limit my dinner to two slices of pizza, like the previous poster I responded to apparently likes to do . . .

I like to eat healthy, satisfying, large meals most of the time and hit my macros, but once in a while I like to indulge and eat some pizza or cake, and when I do that I want to eat enough of it to satisfy me. So I mean that's cool if some people like to eat "junk food" (i don't like this label very much either because i mostly look at macros) every day in small portions. I'd rather save that 20% for one day a week or a couple of days a month, and I call that my "cheat day" for lack of a better phrase. I don't think that means I lack perspective or am missing the big picture in any way, and I really don't care for people who feel the need to proclaim that their way of eating/dieting/exercising is superior. We all do what works for us.