McDonalds New DIET Sweet Tea

Options

Replies

• elsie0o0
    elsie0o0 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My version of a diet sweet tea is half sweet, half unsweet. Usually is still plenty sweet and has half the calories! Makes it easier to fit when I am really craving it! :)

Same here but I usually do 3/4 unsweet 1/4 or a splash of sweet or lemonade.
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    no-thank-you.jpg

Yuck..could never get into artificial sweeteners. :sick:
    I'll just fit in the good ole' regular sweet tea in my calorie goal instead.
  • kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    We do the tea and lemonade here also. My husband does unsweet with lemonade. I think it's called an Arnold Palmer.
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I tried it the other day and I was actually surprised that it wasn't overbearing with an artificial sweetener taste. I liked it.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it taste really artificial?

I've had it a few times now and I really enjoy it. I don't think it tastes artificial. The first time I had it, I almost sent it back thinking they'd made a mistake and given me regular sweet tea instead. I've been drinking diet drinks for a long time now, so maybe I'm not as sensitive to the aftertaste as some people, but I plan to get it instead of soda for my drives back from dog training class.

no-thank-you.jpg

That's fine for you, but some of us need to avoid sugar for medical reasons. :smile:
  • rgunn02
    rgunn02 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    where I live (north of the 49th parallel) we just call it iced tea :)
    I think mcdonalds uses Nestea - which isn't that bad - Up here anyways!
    They have no artificial flavours or colours or preservatives. The diet one is sweetened with sucralose

edit: Everything in moderation :)
  • PunkyDucky
    PunkyDucky Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Doesn't it taste really artificial?

I've had it a few times now and I really enjoy it. I don't think it tastes artificial. The first time I had it, I almost sent it back thinking they'd made a mistake and given me regular sweet tea instead. I've been drinking diet drinks for a long time now, so maybe I'm not as sensitive to the aftertaste as some people, but I plan to get it instead of soda for my drives back from dog training class.

no-thank-you.jpg

That's fine for you, but some of us need to avoid sugar for medical reasons. :smile:

Oh why of course! I totally understand...

Enjoy it! :smile:
  • canyon04
    Options
    It doesn't taste like a diet item at all. It really is as good as the regular sweet tea. I'm very curious about the ingredients.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I did a quick Google search. Someone with the same question as you contacted McDonalds. the short answer is the ingredients are: Water, Orange Pekoe and Pekoe Cut Black Tea, Aspartame, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium

The last three ingredients are all artificial sweeteners. It is up to you if you want to consume artificial sweeteners. You need to do the research and make that decision for yourself.

*looks at 40+ years of research*

Yup, I'm fine with it.

Way to go MickeyD's!
  • EmilyWillBeatAna
    Options
    I work at McDonalds and haven't heard of this yet, but I imagine if it is "diet sweet tea" it will most likely have artificial sweeteners in it. McDonalds is not in the business of natural sweeteners. A lot of our customers get half cut sweet teas (half regular) or order an unsweet tea with sugar / Equal on the side, and we are happy to oblige.
  • UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't eat or drink diet drinks because of the artificial sweeteners. I'd rather fit a regular sweet tea into my calorie goal. But if it works for you, then go for it! :)
  • hactci
    hactci Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always just get the unsweetened tea from McDonalds, its kind of weak to be honest but it isn't bad, especially for a dollar. It's never on the menu but most McDonalds do have it.
  • ILuvIt78
    Options
    I can't drink McD's sweet tea....way to sweet for my taste and I've actually gotten to the point that I prefer unsweet. As for the artificial sweeteners, I avoid them. I don't like the taste, it seems bitter to me, but what really changed my opinion is an article I read about how artificial sweeteners could be a contributing factor to Alzheimer's and autism.

I don't recall the article and I'm not quoting facts but research is being conducted that suggest artificial sweeteners cause excessive brain activity, which they believe could be a factor in Alzheimer's. In regards to autism there appears to be a correlation to the increased number of people being diagnosed and the timeframe when artificial sweeteners came on the market and everyone went to diet soda, etc.

It actually makes sense. I realize that Alzheimer's and autism is not a new thing, but the number of people living with it now days has increased. I just found it interesting and something to think about.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I can't drink McD's sweet tea....way to sweet for my taste and I've actually gotten to the point that I prefer unsweet. As for the artificial sweeteners, I avoid them. I don't like the taste, it seems bitter to me, but what really changed my opinion is an article I read about how artificial sweeteners could be a contributing factor to Alzheimer's and autism.

I don't recall the article and I'm not quoting facts but research is being conducted that suggest artificial sweeteners cause excessive brain activity, which they believe could be a factor in Alzheimer's. In regards to autism there appears to be a correlation to the increased number of people being diagnosed and the timeframe when artificial sweeteners came on the market and everyone went to diet soda, etc.

It actually makes sense. I realize that Alzheimer's and autism is not a new thing, but the number of people living with it now days has increased. I just found it interesting and something to think about.

For your information, at your convenience if you so choose to read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options

Has the increase in autism diagnoses happened in the last 10years? Perhaps it correlates to the timeframe of advent of smart phones or women wearing leggings or a decrease in smoking rates?
    Or perhaps correlation doesn't equal causation? :indifferent:

I don't think autism has increased - I think autism diagnoses have increased because we know more about the syndrome now and people in the past who may have had undiagnosed Asperger's syndrome and just been seen as having poor social skills or being weird,are now picked up.

Alzheimer's disease is increasing for fairly obvious reason that more people are living longer and it is a disease which increases proportionately to age.

None of which has anything to do with artificially sweetened tea.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty awesome.
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

I could not roll my eyes any harder at this if I tried.
  • wenkaz
    wenkaz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The Aspartame and Splenda are probably more harmful to you than the sugar. But you could try half or more unsweetened tea and add the rest sweet tea or lemonade.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    The Aspartame and Splenda are probably more harmful to you than the sugar. But you could try half or more unsweetened tea and add the rest sweet tea or lemonade.

Just stop. Really...stop.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I did a quick Google search. Someone with the same question as you contacted McDonalds. the short answer is the ingredients are: Water, Orange Pekoe and Pekoe Cut Black Tea, Aspartame, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium

The last three ingredients are all artificial sweeteners. It is up to you if you want to consume artificial sweeteners. You need to do the research and make that decision for yourself.
    wow 3 sweetners! sounds like an experiment, not a beverage