Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

more accurate - mfp or hrm?

dawnr2
dawnr2 Posts: 29 Member
I'm new to using mfp and so am just starting to log my exercise. I do spin class 3 times a week for 40 mins which mfp calculate s at 256 calories used. I used my hrm in class on Sunday which showed average of 160. I'm 41 and weigh 121 pounds. I've put these figures into an online tool and it calculates usage of 452 calories. Does anyone know which is likely to be most accurate?

Replies

• hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    MFP does not account for heart rate. That online tool looks more accurate to me.
  • dawnr2
    I hope so. The mfp figure seems really low to me too. I have spin tomorrow morning so will wear hrm again to see if reading us still the same
  • rosah2
    rosah2 Posts: 40 Member
    I don't ever rely on mfp numbers for exercise. Today I used my elliptical for 30 minutes. Mfp said 547 calories burned. My elliptical showed 237.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    You have a HRM and it doesn't calculate calories burned? O.o
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    You should believe your heart rate monitor n nothing else. I know you don't want to hear that as MFP shows a ton more caloies burned ... but your heart rate monitor has all your info n its working from your own heart rate... so thats the true way. I just got a heart rate monitor. we got a love/hate thing going .. i love it but hate that it tells me the truth lol!!!
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    You should believe your heart rate monitor n nothing else. I know you don't want to hear that as MFP shows a ton more caloies burned ... but your heart rate monitor has all your info n its working from your own heart rate... so thats the true way. I just got a heart rate monitor. we got a love/hate thing going .. i love it but hate that it tells me the truth lol!!!

This!!!! Your HRM is the most accurate.
  • AnthonyThrashD
    AnthonyThrashD Posts: 306 Member
    Chest strap HRMs that ask for age, gender, weight, height and V02 if known...are the most accurate. You need to have the chest strap snug, if it's loose accuracy is poor. I have an Ironman HRM, but the Polar FT4 seems popular on MFP.
  • dawnr2
    Thanks for your input folks. I'll see how it goes with hrm this morning. I'll also check instruction manual in case it does calculate calorie burn for me
  • dawnr2
    My spin class this morning registered an average of 158 bpm, so very close to my previous reading. Think I'll use hrm in future to calculate calories used rather than mfp
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    I have the Polar FT7! I love it :)