eating more when you exercise

Options
i am just curious.. i use my FITBIT to count my steps and it gives me extra calories in MFP based on how much i exercise. does anyone eat more based on earning extra calories from exercise? i try not to but i am so hungry with all this exercising!

Replies

• ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You should eat back some of your exercise calories, most aim for around 50-75%. Should fuel your body for them :)
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Eat some of your exercise calories back - if you used the MFP method when you set up your account you are already at a deficit.
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    I think it depends on how you are calculating your calories. If you "net calories" is already set to essential calories based on your BMR (arguably 1200 for women and 1800 for men) then you need to eat back the calories to reach that point. While finding your true BMR is more of an art than a science, it is important to attempt to always meet these basic needs. Now if you are eating above BMR then feel free to eat back as many calories that you can and still reach your 500-1000 calorie deficit a day.

Remember that when you eat your food has no influence on your weight. Don't believe the hype about "not eating after cardio" or "don't eat after 6 pm." Eat after your cardio and enjoy food after 6 pm!
  • Watch_Me_Rise
    Watch_Me_Rise Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to be able to 'eat back exercise calories' in mfp, because the calorie goal is based on a net of calories consumed/used during the day, which is kind of a mind trip because it seems counter-intuitive.
    I sometimes feel hungry as well.. I've yet to pin point the why or when exactly it happens.. I also think it's psychological, like I know that I'm burning calories and losing weight so my mind convinces the rest of my body that I'm hungry. But maybe its just a part of losing weight. I think I overthink too much lol...
    Sorry, not much help but my suggestion would be to eat more snacks like fruits/veggies/almonds/yogurt and make sure to stay hydrated. Just try different things and see what works for you.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you merely need to eat less than you burn daily.

Guess what Fitbit is telling MFP?
    What you burn daily.

Guess what MFP is doing?
    Giving you less to eat.

Don't imagine bigger is better, meet your goal.

Perhaps prior to Fitbit you had no concept of how much you burn daily. And Fitbit is actually underestimating already.
  • Ulwaz
    Ulwaz Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    just make sure you're netting at least 1200, eat half your exercise calories back :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't do the math. I don't set an amount and then eat up (or down) to it. I eat when I'm hungry and the calories work themselves out.

I think My Fitness Pal overestimates how many calories are burned during exercise. I don't even log it.

I do eat more on days I exercise because I'm hungrier those days. If I was swimming a lot, there will be even more than a regular workout. I get much hungrier after swimming. :)
  • Buckeyebill413
    Buckeyebill413 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I concentrate on calories in and use my exercise calories as a benefit. If I give myself an occasional reward it can be offset by my exercising. It may work for me because I only burn about 500 calories / day with exercise.