trying to refocus and need support

Options
I have been a member for a bit over a year here. Last year I lost 31 pounds but with all that has been on my this year I gained all but 8 pounds back. I am not trying to make excuses here. I know we all have things that get in the way. I have let my whirlwind of a life get the best of me. I would really like some help to get re-motivated to focus on finding time for taking care of me too. If you need support too and would to add me as a friend and support each other - I would appreciate it.

a bit about me ... I am 44 years old. A single mom of two wonderful kiddos - daughter age 19 and son age 12. I am helping take care of my mother who just was released from the hospital after a two month stay. I work three days a week at a local bank and spend my off days mainly helping take care of my mom. Hoping to find a way to get myself on a better routine of making time to move and clear my head each day so I can start each day afresh without the worries and stress I have been toting around. Need to find some time for summer time fun with my kids too now that I am not spending the weekends at the hospital with mom.

Here's to a fresh new start of getting healthy and finding some time daily to focus on me again. Remember we can do this by taking one day at a time, one step at a time and one meal at a time.

Replies

• rapollack
    rapollack Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I have exactly the same problem. I logged often for a while and things went well, then life got in the way. Now I need to get myself back on the program! For the sake of my health and my weight and my peace of mind... and maybe a bit because of my 20-year reunion in a few month's time. ;-). And I know this works! When I'm logging i can see the kilos dropping off and when i don't they just pile on again.

Now I'm wanting to start logging again and I also want to start exercising. Of course it's just too easy to make excuses. I live in South Africa, so it's winter now. Shorter daylight hours, the chill in the air and comfort food are the current excuses.

I'm a 37-year old, living with my partner and his two kids (girl of 17 and boy of 15). I work full time in a fairly stressful position in a large corporate company. At least things at work have settled down a bit so i can consider some me time! I would have loved to start jogging with the family for motivation, but all three of them are struggling with injuries at the moment!

I could really use some motivation!
  • southernmom3
    southernmom3 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    thanks for the reply and friend request.
    I used to work in a very stressful job until March of this year and then I decided it was time for a change and I am so glad I did. A weight seems to have lifted off my shoulders and my blood pressure and stress level is so much lower now. I am still taking courses to obtain my bachelors degree so being part time now will help with this Fall's courses.
    going to try to work harder on me for awhile. we can do this just got to believe that all is possible with hard work and determination.
  • michellemarcotteartist
    Options
    You seem to have a good head on your shoulders. I am new here, was encouraged (pushed??) here by my sister (ok, I love her), and am doubtful. I am a northern mom (Canadian who lives in Western New York and Florida) and I wish you well. And success.
  • southernmom3
    Options
    I think we all have self doubt my dear that is why we are all here. Support and help in getting to a healthier happier us.
    I will add you as a friend. We can do this.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Remember you have to take care of yourself first, otherwise there will be a day when you can't help anyone else
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    add me. I can help
  • KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    HI! My name is Kim and my weight loss journey began two years ago. I was at my heaviest (225) and things were not good. I couldn't keep up with my kids, I was tired all the time, and my doctor told me that my cholesterol was on the rise! I decided something needed to change. I started walking, and eventually doing some weight training. I am down over 75 pounds! I feel so much better, and I love supporting and encouraging people to do the same. I would be happy to be an accountability partner with you. I still have some weight to lose, so we can work at it together! Getting your nutrition under control is a big key to losing weight. I can share what has worked for me if you are interested. If you work hard, I know you can reach your goal! So what do ya say? Are you in?
  • bellewis
    bellewis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello...

Seems like this is where I belong. I am so tired of the whole "trying/not trying" mentality. I have a fairly stressful life, and I turn to sweets every time.

I am a 42 year old wife and mother to two sons 17 and 19. My husband and one of my sons have crohns disease and I find that I am consumed by their struggles.

I rarely take time for myself. The other day when I went clothes shopping and was in the dressing room, I looked at myself. My hair looked dull and lifeless, I looked terribly out of shape and tired. I don't want that to be me. I need to find the motivation to care longer than 3 weeks.

Looking forward to it.
  • southernmom3
    Options
    thanks for responding. Please feel free to add me as a friend. Hoping to do my best each day to stay motivated.
  • Fsunami
    Fsunami Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    To those who have posted above, I'd be happy to join you on the journey. Have been at it a little while & know the tide is turning.

No problem and just a few things the MFP tribe and common sense has taught me:

1) This is a thing you DO, not a definition of who you ARE. Just like laundry. Take the emotion out of it wherever possible.

2) My approach? This is a lifestyle change, not a diet. So there is no finite number of days that I am trying to get to. I will be logging in and logging food for the rest of my life, because:

a) This program works
    b) I don't want to die young and I was headed that direction

3) Try to remember - We are the results of the choices we make every day, whether those choices are good or bad. Make as many good choices as you can, and the ship will stay steady.

Cal tracking is considered a good choice (whether boring or not) because it tells you where you really are (just like your check register tells you your balance)

My diary and my inbox are open to anyone needing an MFP buddy.

I know where you've been because that was me..... no more, though. When you realize you mean too much to too many, you find that you want to take care of yourself. For you, and for them.

Fsunami
  • southernmom3
    Options
    thank you for the reminder and responding. support will be appreciated. Sometimes your family really isn't there for you in life changing journey when they do not understand your struggles. Nice to have friends who do.
  • jsalzat
    jsalzat Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've loved having the support of friends on this site... the accountability is awesome :smile:
    I wish you the best on your journey ahead-- feel free to add me if you like!
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP now for about 4 years and the last 1 1/2 yr I've had a lot of life changes and have gained back some of the weight that I've lost. I've also been struggling with an injury that has kept me from running on a regular basis for awhile, which makes me sad, which makes me eat!!! I need to take back control and need to start making conscious decisions about what I put in my mouth!! Please feel free to add me, I'm always looking for support!
  • southernmom3
    Options
    thanks for responding to my post. I am trying hard to find time to move more each day and stay motivated. Sometimes my depression rears its ugly head and all i want to do in lay on the couch and do nothing. That is not going to help I know. Still Working on this.
  • golf4g
    golf4g Posts: 58
    Options
    YES, take care of yourself first. It's so hard to do because of all the time constraints BUT………..just do it. When my mother was ill for two years, I forgot all about me. Guess what…I gained weight, a lot of it. Now I am still busy all the time BUT I'm taking time for me every day and "doing it!" I'm not a big Nike fan, but it is a great slogan! Need a friend, I'm here for you……
  • southernmom3
    Options
    thanks for the reply - guess its just my self doubt and lack of support and motivation that gets the best of me at times
  • JackieO524
    JackieO524 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Also 44 and the mother of two boys ages 16 and 12. I have lost 15 pounds so far - I am at a little lull right now. I was so gung ho for awhile and now I need to get back on track. Life struggles and what-not. Add me, we can support each other and keep reminding each other that we are important and if we are needed by others, we have to take car of ourselves.
  • southernmom3
    Options
    thanks for responding - taking each day as it comes and trying to do better is my start. Going to up my game plan and try and move more and really think about my food choices instead of just what is fast and easy.