Greek Yogurt?

Options
mem50
mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
Been hearing a lot of good about it. My question is......what does it taste like?

Replies

• lanie13
    lanie13 Posts: 55
    Options
    I've never had it but I heard it doesn't taste all that great
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    It taste good, but it is a lot thicker than regular yogurt. I was eating it for the protein, but realized I was getting a little too much, so I cut back some. I get Chobani. (spelling something like that)
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    the fat free Greek yogurt kind of tastes like sour cream so you can use it that way. I made ranch dip with once and I couldn't tell the difference.

if you want to eat it sweet, honey is a great addition along with fruit and nuts. I eat it that way almost every day. SO TASTY!
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I love it. But it tastes really different than the yogurt you may be used to. It's thicker and almost like sour cream. Best one out there- Chobani 0. Fat free and yum.
  • lizb59
    lizb59 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt. It's thicker and less tangy than other plain yogurt, so you don't even need sweeteners. Just add a sprinkle of cinnamon. The fact that's it thicker makes it more satisfying. You can even make yogurt cheese (like sour cream) by draining it in a coffee filter in the refrigerator overnight - try it, you'll like it!
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    The vanilla greek yogurt from Trader Joes is sooooo good!!! YUM
  • Yleija
    Yleija Posts: 16
    Options
    consistency is similar to sour cream and taste a little like it too. It's awesome for sweet and savory dips. Key to it is to add the kind of fruit or seasonings you like. I add vanilla, some splenda, and fruit. It's really good. If your looking to add more protein to your diet its a great way to go. I like Fage 0%, I've found that out of all the Greek yogurts in my grocery store it has the highest.
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I does kind of taste like sour cream. A fitness expert I met told me about Chobani greek yogurt. The raspberry flavor is very good. I tried it based on her recommendation, and found that I like it enough to stick with it.
  • mem50
    Options
    Thanks ever so much. Appreciate the input. I like a thicker yogurt. I'll be picking up a trial run tomorrow.:bigsmile:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I love it. But it tastes really different than the yogurt you may be used to. It's thicker and almost like sour cream. Best one out there- Chobani 0. Fat free and yum.
    another Chobani Fan:drinker: :tongue:
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    Love the Greek-style/strained yogurt. Like someone else posted, it has a different consistency of traditional yogurts. It's so thick that if you get a spoonful and flip the spoon upside down, the glob won't fall off. This is a different consistency than American or Australian-style where it's more fluid.

The nonfat plain yogurt is your best bet for low carb, low sugar, high protein and high calcium numbers. Unfortunately, it is an acquired taste. I recommend following some posts for supplementing for additional taste like sprinkling cinnamon or fresh fruits like blueberries. I snack on yogurt every night after my workout with a sheet of honey grahams.

Here's a great article on webMD.com re: the benefits of yogurt as part of one's daily diet.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/french-womens-diet-secret-yogurt
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I wanted to throw out another brand of Greek Style yogurt out there - it's actually Icelandic Yogurt that is called Skyr. The brand I've seen in the health/whole food stores around me is called Siggi's, and it's SUPER thick - moreso than typical Greek yogurt. I absolutely love the flavor and texture and find it is much richer tasting than regular Greek yogurt. All of Siggi's yogurts are made with skim milk, and when they use added sweetener, it's agave nectar - no artificial anything. Most of the sugar levels are pretty reasonable - 4g/cup for the plain yogurt (all from the milk) or 10-11g/cup for the flavored (sweetened) yogurts. The protein content is high - 16 to 17g per 6oz serving for all of the different flavors. I also like that they have a good collection of different good bacteria in the yogurt - more than is typical in most yogurts I see in the grocery stores.

The downside is it's pretty expensive, but it's something I'm willing to treat myself to occasionally because it's SO good.

Here's the website if anyone's interested: http://skyr.com/products.html
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I just ate a 6 oz serving of the Chobani greek yogurt - raspberry non-fat variety. At my initial response, I had only had 2 spoonfuls and thought the taste was passable. However, I realized that it had fruit on the bottom. Once I stirred it up, it really tasted very good, so now I know I can stick with this. If you don't get this fruit-on-the-bottom variety, you probably will need to add something else to it to really enjoy it.
  • mem50
    Options
    I Tried finding a store near me that sells the Chobani and "it" says there is no store near me that sells it. I live in Kentwood MI.
  • teddymarshmellow
    Options
    It is thick and creamy....Like cheesecake in a cup. I love it.
  • teddymarshmellow
    Options
    I like the vanilla and add 5 almonds and a little bit of stevia (I think that I am having a rich dessert)
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Love Greek yogurt. I however do not care for the 0%. I like the Fage 2%. I just put it on my baked potato at dinner. Otherwise, I like it with some chopped pecans, granola, and a little splenda or honey.
  • sshruff1
    Options
    I just tried the Yoplait fat free stuff and it's DISGUSTING. I can't stomach it. I'll have to try some of these other brands. I'm not a huge fan of regular yogurt to begin with and I was looking for something different. I just couldn't get even 1/2 through the container.

Maybe I should use it as a savory flavor instead of as the sweet flavor snack.
  • heatypablo
    Options
    I Tried finding a store near me that sells the Chobani and "it" says there is no store near me that sells it. I live in Kentwood MI.

Check for Oikos Greek Yogurt... that's the brand I eat and can find it any grocery store I shop! :)
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options

I think they have it at Forest Hills Foods (on Cascade and FH). I work near there and can check next week if you want. I have seen some Greek yogurt at Costco too but not sure which one. And I have also bought it at Meijer - but it might be by the organic stuff at Meijer vs by the Yoplait and Dannon products.