Light activity or Sedentary?

Options
cksmummy
cksmummy Posts: 34 Member
Hi guys, just coming back after a long absence and wanting to set my goals. In our diet/exercise profile it asks about normal activity. At the moment I'm not doing any regular exercise, but not sure if I should be classed as 'sedentary' or 'light activity'. I am a mom to two kids, including a very active toddler, so I do spend a lot of the day chasing/following him. I do the regular type of housework and spend a lot of time at my computer and some time each day driving. I probably do two x five minutes stints on a walking machine daily.

Where do you think I fit in the above profile?

Thanks!

Replies

• casscass78
    casscass78 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I would say sedentary until you start doing specific excersies i would do sedentary but you can always change it :)
  • lucygoosyyy
    Options
    I definitely think you should go for light activity, especially if you are thinking about exercising more in your near future
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    even most people with office jobs are not truly sedentary - based on your description I would suggest lightly active, but make sure you are weighing and measuring all of your food so you are not consuming more calories than you intend to.

some good reads for you: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Just remember, if you consider yourself lightly active because you exercise, you then can't turn around and count that exercise in your diary. That would be counting it twice.

Most days I walk about 10,000 steps at work. I exercise 6-7 times a week. 60-90 minutes of cardio. I also do resistance bands 3-5 times a week. I count myself as slightly active because my work steps are slow and a lot of start/stop and once or twice a week I don't make 10,000. I count my exercise separately in my diary then. I figure, if anything, I figure low, but I'd rather do that than deceive myself and figure too high.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Definitely lightly active.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Unless you are truly on your feet at least 6 hours a day - I'd say you should choose sedentary. It's always easier to eat a portion of your exercise calories (should you choose) if you have a very active day.

I generally do about 5-6,000 steps per day (5-6 miles) in addition to whatever exercise I do and I keep my selection at sedentary.

Hope this helps.
  • gil_u
    gil_u Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Lightly active
  • allycamui
    allycamui Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Lightly active.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Lightly Active for sure. Unless you are laying on the couch all day eating bonbons, you are active.
  • epf82061
    epf82061 Posts: 8
    Options
    You can also do some trial and error. I work in a distribution center and get 10,000 steps a day and have an active toddler. However, if I eat at the lightly active level I lose very slowly so for now I put myself as sedentary. Try it for a month and then adjust.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Lightly active. I'd be curious to see your pedometer results after a day of chasing the toddler around.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    MFP is asking you how active you are in daily life not including purposeful exercise. If you are sitting down a good bit of the day, then I would say sedentary. If you are standing, walking, chasing kids, doing housework more than sitting, then lightly active.
  • 87monkey
    87monkey Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Lightly active. Don't count your exercise in this section, that is to be added separately. They will add calories (be mindful its often overestimated) for each exercise you add.
  • NicoleLFifield
    Options
    Lightly active. Don't count your exercise in this section, that is to be added separately. They will add calories (be mindful its often overestimated) for each exercise you add.

With chasing after children, I would definitely not say you are sedentary.
  • bluecastle12
    Options
    Yeah...don't count the exercise but chasing kids and housework isn't sedentary. I've babysat various friend's kids...it's intense. So technically lightly active.

Although, you could say sedentary and get a pedometer or something and count chasing the kids as exercise if you feel like your activity level varies. There is an option for housecleaning in the exercise section too. That way if one day the kids are more calm and there is less to clean then you won't be eating more than you need.

Does that make sense?
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I would say sedentary until you start doing specific excersies i would do sedentary but you can always change it :)

^^^ This
  • cksmummy
    cksmummy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks heaps guys. Might try a week on each one and see how I go!
    Really appreciate the responses!
    Cheers!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Based on your description I would say lightly active, for sure.

Chasing after toddlers and getting in housework doesn't sound very sedentary to me!

Make sure you log any exercise you do as well... so that walking and anything else beyond that would go as separate daily entries. I wouldn't even bother with trying that week at sedentary- just go for lightly active to begin with :)